Where have all the runners gone....

Replies

• alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    I'm in running hibernation. I'm dying for the weather to warm up, so I can get back out there!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Out Running
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    i am cutting down on my running a bit in favor of the bike and weights. I had upped my running to about double and my face started looking old and tired so i cut back and now its filling back out again.

I love what running does for my legs and butt but i hate what it does to my face!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    I'm a runner! But I seem to be highly injury-prone despite all my best intentions and care taken to avoid them. :sad:

So I've had to lay off the running in favor of other stuff. My goals for this year are to compete in a 5k (I can run the distance, just haven't signed up for a race) and a 4.5 mile trail run near my home. I'm going to start running the trails very soon where the trail race will be held this summer.

However, if I continue to injure my hamstring, my IT band, or my hip on every run, I may eventually stop doing it, even though I love it.
  • Triathlete here, so mostly shorter distances for me during races - 5Ks or 10Ks, depending on whether it's a sprint or olympic. I got third in my age division in a 10K two weeks ago, which was a first because I am a terribly slow runner (9-9:30/miles).

Training for my second half marathon in June, though! The first one I did last year did not go so well - dealing with a torn hamstring, finishing at a pitiful 2:30 and puking afterwards - so I'm hoping to redeem myself this year with a 2:00 or 2:15 finish.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    I am very slowly trying to become a runner. I am currently slowly plodding along with intervals of jog/walk. I am working on building it up. I am hoping as the weight comes off, it will get easier.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    I'm currently training for my first half in May. :drinker:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Runner here too for the last 4 years or so .....trying to recover from 3 back to back injuries - Broken Patella - Bruised Patella - yep same knee - and a broken toe.

Real slow right now - but trying to work on it
  • callielizabethrocks
    callielizabethrocks Posts: 52 Member
    I am new to running, but I am proud to say that Sunday I ran (plodded as you say) for 3 miles with out stopping. I'm doing my first 5k in a two weeks and I should be in good shape. My goal is to get to where I can run a 10k with ease.

My biggest problem is boredom. What do you occupy your mind with when you are running?
  • shaunalynn11
    shaunalynn11 Posts: 3 Member
    Also coming back from injuries! Have a half at the end of May and then a duathlon in June. After that marathon training will start!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    I have quite a few goals for the year though not as high as some of these posters...

1. Do an "official" race once a month. I did two 5ks in January, a Warrior Dash in February, a 10k (PR!) last weekend so far. I will do my 6th Half Marathon in December. I will fill in all the other months as I go along with whatever I find (4 miler in April).

2. Log over 850 miles running/walking for the entire year (did 720 last year).

3. Log 2,013 (at least) miles in running, walking, biking, elliptical, stair climber et cetera for the year.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    I am new to running, but I am proud to say that Sunday I ran (plodded as you say) for 3 miles with out stopping. I'm doing my first 5k in a two weeks and I should be in good shape. My goal is to get to where I can run a 10k with ease.

My biggest problem is boredom. What do you occupy your mind with when you are running?

I listen to music or go off the beaten track slightly so I'm paying more attention to where my feet are going than thinking about being bored etc.

Running with a friend could work
  • Jaja_Joli
    Jaja_Joli Posts: 17 Member
    I want to run my 3rd half Marathon under 2 hours or less... :smile:
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    hadn't run for 10 years. bought my first decent pair of shoes last January (Brooks, Cascadia 8 i think) Have worked up to 5K. Will now do the NorCal Zombie run in May. Will no doubt destroy my beautiful shoes :frown: Need to leash up my dog and hit the trail, i think.
  • ckopeny1
    ckopeny1 Posts: 46 Member
    Training for my first marathon, t-minus 6 weeks. EEEEEeeeeeek!
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Slight runner here. I don't enjoy it, but I do like to take my dog out a couple times a week. I do it for him :) We are about a 12 minute mile. 2.5 miles in 30 minutes.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Slight runner here. I don't enjoy it, but I do like to take my dog out a couple times a week. I do it for him :) We are about a 12 minute mile. 2.5 miles in 30 minutes.

What dog you got ?
  • metalgearpanda
    metalgearpanda Posts: 43 Member
    Hey!

I'm a plodder/jogger/runner not quite sure where I fit in there but I'm in there!

My goal for this year is in the next 8 weeks to do the Edinburgh Half Marathon in under my time last year (albeit it wasnt the Edinburgh one I done last year it was Dundee but still!) So I have a bit of a time to go, the problem is with the weather at the moment it's so cold to go outside so I'm stuck on a treadmill.

But if you want someone to share stories with or just general chat I'm all ears so feel free to add me :)
  • MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    I run, and I love it, but I think I'm in the minority here because I don't do races. For me, running is my meditation and time to relax.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Guilty as charged! I run 6 - 7 days a week, usually 40-50 miles per week.

Getting ready for my 27th marathon - still trying to figure out whether or not I like them...

I really like racing half marathons, my favorite distances for sure!