are 'healthy alternatives' really okay?

Options
Finding recipes that are supposed to be healthier alternatives...is that A good idea. Such as the website hungry girl, or rocco dispirito's recipes. Any help would be appreciated. I have no idea what to eat.

Replies

• syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    As long as you know what's going into it and it is actually healthy, yes.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    As long as you know what's going into it and it is actually healthy, yes.

Agreed!
  • FreeHugs0150
    Options
    I guess that makes sense. Thanks haha
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yes, healthy alternatives are great, just be careful that they really are healthy. Lower calories does not mean healthier. Beware of artificial sweeteners and things like that which are just chemicals. Eat organic, make your own food, and you'll be healthy and fit in no time.

Look up thegraciouspantry.com that's where I get alot of my recipes.
    They are still good, way healthy, and most of them are low-cal. Some of them you have to add more spices into, but that's a personal preference. At least it's a great starting off point, and that site has recipes for almost everything. It's my go-to recipe site.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Another site I like for good nutritious recipes is 101cookbooks.com. Vegetarian recipes (I am not a vegetarian) but some really great recipes.
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I found that when I went out and replaced all of my usual meals with "healthy alternatives" all at once my body rebelled. Actually, I think I might have gained a bit of weight when I did it. If you're going to go for healthy alternatives, change over a little bit at a time and let your body adjust (it will depend a lot on how well/or poorly you ate before).

There are two super important things for you to remember with this:
    1. Do what feels right for YOU. Not for me or for your neighbour or a TV host. If you eat a "healthy alternative" and it makes you sick, don't keep eating it no matter how healthy it may be. Right? For me, this is celery. It literally makes me sick.
    2. Do it all in moderation. You don't have to eat super clean and work out like a maniac to get healthy. If you feel like eating chips one night, and your calories allow it, eat them! Don't feel guilty because you ate something that tasted good, but wasn't necessarily good for your waist line (I'm not getting into emotional eating here). Just make a different, healthier choice the next time.

Visit hungryhealthyhappy.com. Danni has a wicked blog with all kinds of suggestions for recipes, exercises, and other health-related things. She was my inspiration to start getting healthier.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    First, recognize that there are no unhealthy foods, just unhealthy diets. Second, set your calorie and macro goals. Third, try to hit your protein and fats each day, leave the rest of your calories for carbs. Fourth, enjoy what you eat!
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    yeah i would have to agree the if the ingredients are good then that should be the most weighted factor
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Finding recipes that are supposed to be healthier alternatives...is that A good idea. Such as the website hungry girl, or rocco dispirito's recipes. Any help would be appreciated. I have no idea what to eat.

skinnytaste.com also has some delicious recipes.

I find that looking at websites like that gives me ideas for new things to try, and also give me ideas on how I can 'tweak' family favorites to make them better without sacrificing flavour.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    A lot of hungrygirl recipes rely on frakenfood.
    Like egg beaters, laughing cow wedges, low fat this, low carb this

I've seen some of the Rocco ones. But don't know too much

skinnytaste.com has a lot of healthy recipes made will REAL, WHOLE food, she does use substitutions like part-skim cheese, skim milk, etc. But her recipes aren't entirely processed.

Blogs I follow:
    emilybites.com
    ibreatheimhungry.com
    skinnytaste.com
    canyoustayfordinner.com

^those have healthier versions of foods you may love, made with real ingredients.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you try a few that make sense to you. Don't try to change your diet completely too quickly. change things slowly. Also, don't expect healthy food to taste like the real thing. Good examples would be Turkey Bacon and Spaghetti Squash. Turkey bacon is delicious on it's own, but it will never replace or taste like real bacon. Spaghetti squash is also quite delicious, but it will never replace REAL pasta, in my opinion.

try to make healthier choices. When plating up your food, 1/4 should be your protein (lean meats - chicken, pork, beef), 1/4 should be your carb (rice/potato, pasta) and 1/2 should be veggies. It is simple and not exact and I would measure everything! This example is just to give you the visual.

It takes a few weeks for this to all start making sense and for your body to adjust to the changes. Just stick to it!!! - nancy
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    yeah I was referring to simple switches most of the time

like turkey pepperoni instead of the original
    lean white meats like chicken tenderloins instead of the high fat meats
    but other foods don't need to be changed at all
    sardines are great for you, sustainable, very low in mercury risk, cheap, full of healthy fats, super filling....
    once you learn how to make the food yourself, you can save yourself so much calories/fat/sugar,
    foods you ate before taste too salty and sweet.

chopped jalopenoes, onions, bell peppers, optional garlic, sauteed in a little fat of your choice,
    tastes delicious, if you leave the seeds out, not super spicy, and adds tons of flavor to so many things
    and it only take few mins to cook
    if you use frozen prediced bell peppers and onions, just chop up the jalopeno and there you go
    dinner is ready to go in the pan.

does this sound like diet food? make caribbean jerk grilled chicken/ with the above mixture and sprinkle of shredded coconut.yum!
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    I think they're fine so long as you know what you're getting when you make it. If you feel like eating a sandwich, you can chose to enjoy a turkey bacon, tomato and spinach sandwich on grain bread (instead of your standard BLT). However, I don't think they can do the job of tackling a serious craving. If you're at the point where you'd sell your firstborn for a plate of spaghetti and meatballs, no amount of spaghetti squash and quinoa burgers will do the trick. But on another night, that combo might just be the ticket to a great dinner.

So "healthy alternatives" are great...as long as they are enjoyed for what they are: healthy meals. Not "in place" of what you really want.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I think they're fine so long as you know what you're getting when you make it. If you feel like eating a sandwich, you can chose to enjoy a turkey bacon, tomato and spinach sandwich on grain bread (instead of your standard BLT). However, I don't think they can do the job of tackling a serious craving. If you're at the point where you'd sell your firstborn for a plate of spaghetti and meatballs, no amount of spaghetti squash and quinoa burgers will do the trick. But on another night, that combo might just be the ticket to a great dinner.

So "healthy alternatives" are great...as long as they are enjoyed for what they are: healthy meals. Not "in place" of what you really want.
    even spaghetti and meatballs can be made healthier. make the meatballs with ground chicken, or even see if lentil meatballs
    covered in sauce, might work for you on occasion. simply adding veggies to the typical marinara sauce and not using very much oil or using none, makes it a lighter version. there's degrees to everything. and what didn't work for you last month, might be just fine today. our tastes change. we get used to eating veggies, less salt. and so on.

and if what you must have is the original deep dish chicago pizza, then you'll need to balance that with activity or have a very small amount. it really depends on the type of craving. majority of the time when I'm more hormonal, i'm just hungry for everything. anything I see, just anything. so that's all the healthy fruits and veggies and all the chips and junk too.

craving a specific flavor just on a whim I feel like making this for dinner is different.
    oh lets make a similar version of chinese food to what we usually order
    or a healthy order of an actual chinese recipe. that can be done, and be full of flavor,
    while costing significantly less, and have less salt.