How did you avoid plateaus? How did you get out of one?

I haven't hit one yet but I want to avoid it and if I do stall, want to know how to get out of it as soon as I can. I read that keeping variety in your workout helps, and also resting. I don't rest much (just one day per week) but I try to switch up my cardio. The only thing I consistently do is circuit training 3 days/week and I have been increasing the weights as I become more comfortable. For cardio, I do a variety of things- rowing machine, stationary bike, elliptical machine, H.I.I.T, arc trainer (high incline and high resistance), and running on the treadmill. This week I am going to incorporate the stairmaster into my routine to switch things up a bit.

Replies

• VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Try new work out dvds , completely change your workout schedule, different foods, eat more cals or less (depends what works with your body good luck!!!!
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    I was in one a few weeks ago, honestly what I did was semi-binge on weekend. I had been planning on going out of town with some friends so when we went I didn't worry about what I ate or drank and just had a great time. I gained about 2 pounds that weekend, but it quickly fell off when I got back to focusing and the plateau was defeated quickly after that.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    No one can avoid plateau's. Its your body's way of adjusting to the changes you are making. All you can do is keep doing what you are doing and don't freak out if the numbers don't change for a couple weeks. If it lasts longer than a month, then try changing your routine a little and see if that helps.
  • anchra
    anchra Posts: 1
    The best way to avoid the plateaus is to switch up your exercise AND your dieting. You may want to add more cardio, and alternate eating fatty meats with lean meats. It will keep your metabolism guessing!
  • loveonlyali
    loveonlyali Posts: 1 Member
    For the two plateaus I hit, I changed my diet. I pretty much consistently did the same cardio, but for me it was my eating.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    I've never been at a plateau, but I was scared by the idea of hitting one.
    After doing some reading I think they may just be a myth started by people who lost a lot of weight and didn't recalculate their new caloric needs.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I haven't hit any plateaus yet. I had a couple really slow weeks followed by a really, really good week.

I think that they mostly have to do with inadequately calculating caloric needs or becoming complacent and not measuring as carefully, etc...
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Alternating workout routines and throwing a cheat meal in once every 2 weeks..............anything that keeps the body metabolism off equilibrium
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Alternating workout routines and throwing a cheat meal in once every 2 weeks..............anything that keeps the body metabolism off equilibrium

THIS.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Consistency.

Just keep going in a deficit you'll continue to lose.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    At some point your body stops burning fat. You can be eating right and it is possible for this to happen. Now a lot of times people may lose water and they may think they stop losing weight when little fat was loss. Personally recommend that people who have a lot of fat to lose to go in a low carb diet. A lot of times people become resistant to insulin because of their eating lifestyle and the body takes a longer time to get into that fat burn mode. We can sit here and speculate less or more but adjustments have to be made. I normally recommend increasing calories to maintenance level only if you been a deficit for a while. If your food selection is poor then that is an area of opportunity where it can be improved. You want to make sure you are getting enough fiber with your meals such as a side of vegetables, or brown rice for example. You have to make sure that you include enough protein with your meals as well. Doing too much cardio is not needed if you already do cardio but a simple 20-30 min session fasted or after weights is enough 4-5 times a week. In reality your body burns a lot more calories on its own than it does in 20-30 min of any intense activity and that is the reason why we go into a deficit. Now try not to get yourself in the mentality that exercise will actually make you lose fat, your diet is about 80-90% of your success at reaching your goals.

Summary

1. Review your Diet well and adjust your changes to make sure you have enough fiber, protein, and preferably lower carbohydrate intake. Your calories calculator should tell you how many calories you should take.
    2. If you decide to go the low carb route make sure you reload your body with quality fibrous carbs such as Sweet Potato, brown rice and etc. Then in those days you can lower the intake of calories coming from fat and protein.
    3. If you been at a deficit for a while and everything is spot on then consider going to maintenance calories for some time and continue your same activities.
    4. Try not to wrap yourself around doing so much cardio if you can, just in moderation.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I've been doing this for a year, and haven't hit a plateau yet.

I did take a 2 week maintenance break last summer and again at Christmas.

I've avoided extremes - extreme deficits, extreme workouts, extreme restriction of food types. I think this has been the key.
  • NancyStree
    NancyStree Posts: 89 Member
    this is very good info...
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    I got out of one this weekend by cutting down my exercise and binging on chocolate! Haha I was stuck at 133 for a few weeks and now I'm 130.