Need tips to get me moving!!!

Options
sebaseth
sebaseth Posts: 123 Member
Hey everyone,

I want to exercise but just can't seem to talk myself into doing it yet. In the past I would walk at the local rec center. I like doing it but I just can't seem to make myself do it. Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions for me to get my rear in gear?

Replies

• sebaseth
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I want to exercise but just can't seem to talk myself into doing it yet. In the past I would walk at the local rec center. I like doing it but I just can't seem to make myself do it. Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions for me to get my rear in gear?
  • king4ar
    king4ar Posts: 25
    Options
    Try cleaning your home. Do everything from washing walls to shampooing carpets. It will get something accomplished besides exercise.
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you work out you get to eat more. That is hell of motivation for me personally. If I didnt like food I wouldnt be fat. Also, if you commit to it for 2 weeks (we have all had crappy boyfriends longer than that) then you will stop hurting after and start feeling good after and bad when you dont do it. And in the words of the great Richard Simmons "If you cant run walk, if you cant walk crawl, and if you cant crawl roll...":wink:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I recently read this wonderful little phrase that is a great sound byte to have when it comes to exercise!!

"I NEVER regret it when I DO exercise but I always regret it if I DON'T"

Getting started can be tough but maybe try to think of afterward... you'll feel so happy that you did it! The alternative is feeling as you are: frustrated that you won't do it and wishing you would.

We're here for ya!!
  • zeusbabe7
    zeusbabe7 Posts: 7
    Options
    The hardest part for me has always been getting myself going for a span of more than 2 days before I kind of slump back to the same old, same old...but one thing I've found is that since I've gained the motivation to stick to it, it has only gotten easier. It has worked for me when I've told myself that it will only get easier and the beginning is the hardest...so if I can handle the beginning, I can handle it all. It's just a matter of turning motivation into habit.

So the sooner you start, the sooner it will get easier.

You can do it :bigsmile:

17400.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Make a commitment to go out every night it is a lot easier if you have someone else to go along with you . Bring along one of your kids and try for a challenging walk uphills are great. Just start at the beginning and it will become more routine. Good luck
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    My suggestion is to take a picture of your butt now, work out for a month(actually make the commitment to do it for a month) and take another picture. You'll never not have the time to take care of yourself again :bigsmile: That's what I did and let me tell you, it's quite a shock to see what back there really looks like. I wish I had done it a long time ago!! :laugh:

Make a commitment to yourself. You're worth it!!

Heidi
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Write it in your calendar.

Set up a system where you plan your workout days every week, and if you accomplish those goals, give yourself a "treat" (non-food) at the end of your week. For example, last week I got a manicure, and this week I'm working on a skirt I saw last week, but didn't buy.

Check out the "Victorious Fitness Challenge". . .where we do this. Set a goal, and then hold each other accountable. I have had many a day where I make myself go exercise because I know I'm being "watched.":wink:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Ive seen a lot of people set up rewards for so many pounds lost.
    So say after every 5lb you go get a new outfit or something fun!

Also, the beginning really is the hardest, once its in your schedule daily, you start to do it out of second nature. Another thing to look forward to is improving your times, distance, lack of soreness etc. as you move forward.

It's a long road, but starting is the first part!
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    can you walk to do some errands? That's a start.
    I also put the radio, cd, or whatever to some pumped up music that always makes me move
    Exercise shows on tv

also try to do it first thing in the morning as the day goes on it is so easy to let it slip away to tomorrow I will do it
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My advice is JUST DO IT. The sooner you start, the sooner you will start loving it. It takes 21 days to start a habit. Do some sort of exercise 21 days in a row, be it walk around the block, a class or a bike ride and you will start craving it. Start small but be consistent. By day 21 you will have a new outlook on exercise.

FYI, it only takes three days to break a habit so NEVER go three days in a row exercise free!!!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Also plan a time in your day for exercise. It is easier to do it if you have planned for it rather than the old I will do it later routine. Later never comes. I find I am much more motivated in the morning. By late in the day I really am tired and not in the mood!!:laugh:
  • sebaseth
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I can't wait until tomorrow so I can exercise. I especially like to comment about it will only get easier....that makes sense. And the house cleaning....killing two birds with one stone, I like that!! My mom lives in Maine and she walks up a hill during her walk but I live in Florida, we don't have any hills:cry:

Thanks so much, I appreciate all you help and support. I don't have that great of a support system outside of MFP so this is great.
  • sassycat
    sassycat Posts: 108
    Options
    "also try to do it first thing in the morning as the day goes on it is so easy to let it slip away to tomorrow I will do it "

I totally agree with the above statement. I am sooo guilty of this. I am walking at least 3x week for at least 30 minutes-fast pace. (Hopefully after all my children's ballgames-I will be able to pick up the pace).

Getting started is the hardest---You can do it!! If I can , you can! Lets get motivated!
    :smile: