Whats in your smoothie?

Replies

• bump to read later :)
  • Hello! My name is Lea and I just started MFP last Monday. I sign up for it last quarter for my nutrition class project and I love it. Anyway, this is in respond for the smoothie fresh fruits. I make my smoothies in the morning from a handful of spinach, about 1/2 cup of blackberries, 1/4 cup of blueberries about few chunk of fresh pineapple and 6 oz of water. You can add as much fresh fruits as you like in an homemade smoothies. Normally, 1 big glass about 16 oz only have 300 or less calories, rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
  • stongjos
    stongjos Posts: 63 Member
    I keep seeing yogurt, yogurt and more yogurt here, and as most my MFP buddies know I just can't stand the stuff! =(

My smoothie base is the following:

1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/4 cup almond milk
    1 scoop protein powder
    5-6 ice cubes
    stevia to taste

Then I add in fruit to taste - usually 1/2 - 2/3 cup, depending on the fruit.

--OR--

A tablespoon of sugar free pudding mix and a couple drops of an extract. Great for fake chocolate mint milkshakes, or chocolate hazelnut, caramel vanilla, whatever.

Good idea with the chocolate pudding! I'll try that when I use kale or spinach!
  • stongjos
    stongjos Posts: 63 Member
    Made this one this morning....it was enormous & delicious. Drank it at 7am and wasn't hungry till about 2pm when I had lunch.

1/2 large banana
    1/4 cup steel cut oats
    1.5 tbsp smooth peanut butter
    1 tbsp splenda ( guess you could substitute honey/ molasses instead)
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup water
    6 ice cubes

Do you cook your steel cut oats before blending it? Because I sometimes put in some regular oatmeal, but I cook it first.

I don't use whey powders in my smoothies, I either use silk tofu OR pasteurized egg whites (from a carton).
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    IF I actually made a smoothie it would be made of fresh fruit and possibly vegetables...not cake batter in a cup...
  • kam81
    kam81 Posts: 30 Member
    1 c strawberries
    1 c blueberries
    2 c spinach
    1 c water and a few cubes of ice
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    I see a lot of kale and spinach in these smoothies and now I really want to try this. So to offset the taste of the greens, I just need a sweet fruit (like pineapple) or flavored protein powder, I guess?
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    1 Bannana

1 T. Peanut Butter

8 oz. Almond Milk

Handful of Ice

Blend & Enjoy
  • yrambot
    yrambot Posts: 17 Member
    I have 2 favorite smoothies in rotation right now. I pre-make them in zip lock baggies 6 at a time, so that in the morning all I have to do is stumble into the kitchen, put in the liquid and empty the bag into the vitamix. No excuses.

I would like some more recipes also, and I really like my greens and veggies. I am always surprised when you look at commercially available "green smoothies" that they are nothing but fruit with a tiny bit of spinach or green algea. I like mine to taste like gazpacho! (although I do enjoy a yogurt smoothie with my son once in a while). It all depends on those taste buds! I also use only organic, since I am putting so much concentrated nutrients into my body daily, I don't want them laced with pesticides.

My Green smoothie is:
    2 stalks celery
    1/2 cucumber
    1/2 lime
    1/2 mango
    1/2 avocado
    2 cups spinach
    5 oz apple juice
    15 oz water or green tea

it's almost too creamy and rich, like an awesome milkshake! I love it!

My red smoothie is:

1/2 beet
    2 large carrots
    1 apple
    1/2 lime
    2 tablespoons (approx) fresh ginger
    5 oz apple juice
    15 oz water.

vitamix and be done! Yum yum yum! Both last until lunch as I sip on them slowly and they really fill me up!
  • yrambot
    yrambot Posts: 17 Member
    Key Lime Pie Smoothie
    juice from 2 limes
    peel and use flesh from another lime
    one avocado
    8 oz almond milk
    1 cup non fat greek yogurt
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1.5 tbsp agave nectar
    2 scoops vanilla whey protein

this makes two servings around 400cals, I use it as a meal replacement
    Fantastic flavor!

I'm stoked to try this one!!! thanks~!
  • kam81
    kam81 Posts: 30 Member
    I only added the protein powder because I wasn't getting enough protein elsewhere....always way under my MFP number. I made my smoothie forever without the protein powder and really could not taste the spinach.
  • I love mine!! I use 1 cup rasberries, 1 scoop vanilla muscle milk powder, 1 scoop advocare spark madarin orange, 5 ice cubes, 1/2 cup water, and a thing of greek yogurt. making about 430 calories, 31 grams of protein, almost daily allowance of vitamins, and it tastes good and is wayyyy better than coffee. :)
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    12 oz Apple Cider
    2 cups Baby Spinach Raw
    0.5 whole avacado
    1 Apple
    1/2 cup Whole Unsweetened Strawberries - Frozen
    1 fl oz Lime Juice
  • julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    sigh, I had this great idea today to make a pumpkin pie smoothie with pumpkin puree, banana, yogurt and honey, ...
    It sounded so delicious.
    ..........it tasted like baby food. So disappointing,. :grumble:
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    bump
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Peanut Butter
    Banana
    Milk
    Chocolate Syrup
    and Muscle Milk Protein
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    bump
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    i post this all the time.

If you like gingerbread, Oxygen magazine has a recipe for a delicious Gingerbread cookie shake: 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1/2 cup vanilla enriched Rice Dream, 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 T molasses, and ice cubes. Blend and drink ! Mmmmmm

I also like a Creamsicle, which is a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of vanilla protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat vanilla yogurt. Blend and drink.

Last but not least, for a change, I blend a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of chocolate protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat coffee yogurt. Also good!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    sigh, I had this great idea today to make a pumpkin pie smoothie with pumpkin puree, banana, yogurt and honey, ...
    It sounded so delicious.
    ..........it tasted like baby food. So disappointing,. :grumble:
    bummer:frown: i hate when those delicious sounding ideas turn out badly
  • theundead
    theundead Posts: 51 Member
    4 c kale
    1 c blueberries
    1 c almond milk
    2 tbsp cacao powder
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    1 banana
    small amount of mint leaves, about 20 grams.
    or sometimes I throw in a mango.

Its a high calorie smoothie due to the chia seeds and cacao powder, around 600 calories, but it keeps me going and I originally was trying to find a easy way to eat more calories.