Sodiuim is kicking my *kitten*!

Options
I can't believe I am over 2,000 mg's beyond my requirement.....my God...it's as if I drank out of a salk shaker for five minutes.

I guess my canned chili was the biggest culprit today. Guess tomorrow it's an all-fruit diet....no chance of that since I'm going to the Chief's game.

Replies

• KCPlanner
    Options
    I can't believe I am over 2,000 mg's beyond my requirement.....my God...it's as if I drank out of a salk shaker for five minutes.

I guess my canned chili was the biggest culprit today. Guess tomorrow it's an all-fruit diet....no chance of that since I'm going to the Chief's game.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Going over on sodium is not hard to do. I'm over almost every day. I watch saturated fat, iron, and potassium. Sodium is just too depressing.

Did you see the news lately on the AMA wanting the government to regulate sodium? It is really high in some foods. I would say unnecessarily high.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    KCPlanner

There is a web site with a lot of low sodium receipes. There is a chili one that sounds really good. Do you like to cook?
    Have fun at the game.

lowsodiumliving.com
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Sodium kicks my *kitten*, too. I've had to drop a lot of stuff I used to eat. Almost anything prepared just has way too much. My levels are better now, but almost anytime I eat something packaged, be it a can of soup or prepared meat, I am usually over for the day.

It should be downright illegal to put more DV sodioum in a product that it's equivelant DV in calories.
  • tdroseler
    Options
    i have been watching my sodium intake lately, and making major adjustments.

Easiest thing i found is to stay awa from processed foods. I try to do as much as i can from fresh stuff. I have cut out sandwich meats. I use frozen and fresh veggies more now. I still love canned mushrooms, but i have started rincing them before adding them to my recipes. I was told you can "wash" off a lot of salt this way. I also found a seasoning salt substitute that has no sodium in it at all...it is all spices. there are several brands of this, and even recipes online to make your own, if you wish.

It isn't easy, but by being aware of what you are choosing, and as it has become the focus of our lives...to make better choices...if is possible to leave out alot of salt.

hope this helps
  • KCPlanner
    Options
    Great replies...thank you all.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    KCPlanner

There is a web site with a lot of low sodium receipes. There is a chili one that sounds really good. Do you like to cook?
    Have fun at the game.

lowsodiumliving.com

KC: that website charges $18 a month for the low-sodium diet....??? Am I missing something?

cm
  • tinajayne72
    tinajayne72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    hmm........that could be the culprit of me weighing myself one day and being happy, then the next day in shock because i've gained 4.5 pounds....lol
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    KCPlanner

Have fun at the game.

lowsodiumliving.com

KC: that website charges $18 a month for the low-sodium diet....??? Am I missing something?

cm

I was able to get some receipts for free