Bananas

Is it true that you can't have banana's? That there are fattening? I thought they had good fat. I like having them with peanut butter.

Replies

• jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    You can have anything you want. Bananas do not make you fat, calories do. (although they are high in sugar which only matters if you have a medical reason)
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    I eat 2-3 bananas a day and haven't had a problem losing weight =)
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    I average 2 of them a day (minus peanut butter). I love bananas. I've gone from 147 lbs. to 129 and have not given them up.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Bananas are high in calories and sugar, but have so many good nutritions that it makes up for it! Having one or two a day is perfectly save and a good idea for active lifestyles as they provide good bust of energy. However eating more then that might be troublesome for some people with regards to their digestion (In my case at least :P)
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Can't live without bananas - great kick start to the day.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Of course you can have bananas.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    ONE! ONE banana! AH HA AH HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
  • kurting81
    kurting81 Posts: 32 Member
    Bananas are great! I literally ate 10 on the way to work today after a swim. I usually average around 15 or so per day! Alot of times they will end up in a smoothie that I make.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    b-a-n-a-n-a-s_o_998802.jpg
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    If you don't eat them..............they will eat you!

banana-art10.jpg
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    per The Doctor, "I like bananas. Bananas are good."

This is why there is now a banana grove in the heart of Villengard. This is also why the banana daiquiri got invented too early :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Bananas aren't high in fat, they're high in sugar and carbs. Peanut butter is high in fat. But remember, dietary fat =/= body fat. If you eat below maintenance you'll lose weight. I've been eating ice cream and chocolate every single night and I still lose weight. IIFYM.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Nothing alone is fattening. If you ate 50 bananas a day, sure they would make you gain fat but a couple won't harm you unless you are over your daily maintance calories.

I regularly eat 2-4 of them a day.

I don't know where these myths keep coming from... bananas aren't even high in fat and dietary fat doesn't make you fat.
  • wow thank you all for letting me know.....
  • Bananas aren't high in fat, they're high in sugar and carbs. Peanut butter is high in fat. But remember, dietary fat =/= body fat. If you eat below maintenance you'll lose weight. I've been eating ice cream and chocolate every single night and I still lose weight. IIFYM.

what kind of ice scream do you eat?
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    They're fine in moderation, enjoy
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    I have a banana nearly every day! Couldn't live without them.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    You can have anything you want. Bananas do not make you fat, calories do. (although they are high in sugar which only matters if you have a medical reason)

Exactly this.

Bananas don't make you fat. Bananas are a fruit - so they don't really even have fat. But even if they did, fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar doesn't make you fat (you only need to be concerned about sugar if you have a medical issue).

Too many calories makes you fat. Eat at a deficit and you'll be fine.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    They average for a small one about 90 calories...people always complain about the sugar but if you go to www.whfoods.com it will give you all the nutritional data.
    Now would you rather have 90 calories of sugar and nutrients in a banana or a Snickers...straight sugar?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    i have one a day seven days a week,