How to get my kid to run

Replies

• JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Does his team do basketball drills during practice? I can understand the "not like running" thing, I didn't like it when I was younger either. Give me sports ANY day. Could also be because my mom told me I was fat and I needed to walk/run like she did. lol You don't mention how old he is, but it sounds like he likes being part of a team, maybe *he* could start something like conditioning training so that his team plays better? It's not running or working out if it's called Conditioning Training. Right? ;)
    I never told him he was fat- nor would I ever say that to him - but without starting it out "hey honey you really need to run so you can get faster" , I am trying to trick him into running by letting him use the treadmill and encouraging him.
    I love the idea of conditioning - and I have tried that - but alas he hated it - it was a great class called speed and endurance for kids...needless to say it was the worst of all worlds for him since most of the kids in it were already fast.
    He is 10 years old.
  • jtgilfoy
    jtgilfoy Posts: 25 Member
    OH jeez he hasn't even hit puberty yet. Let him be. Seriously, you're going to give him body issues.
  • twingirlsmommy
    twingirlsmommy Posts: 111 Member
    I think that if he has other intersts--as you mentioned sports, encourage him there to play and do his best. If he has other physical interests outside of that ie. swimming, riding his bike, just playing outside etc. Encourage him that way and participate with him.

Support any activity he wants to do and make it a family effort--since you're on a weight loss grocery, I just suggest doing what my husband and me have done, we keep no more juice, pop, chips, popcorn, cookies, cakes etc. in the house. We have 1 yr old twins and he has a five year old son who stays with us. We give him snacks like an apple with peanut butter, yogurt and banana etc, almonds and dried fruit.

There's no junk food. Once in a while we'll make a treat like a pack of 50 calorie chocolate mousse but we really tried to stay away from the processed food. I'm sure he will start to lose weight on his own from these changes your family is encouraging, and he will run faster on his own : )
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    If he's playing basketball, then he's already running quite a bit. The issue is not that he isn't running enough! His diet is likely the real reason he's over-weight, which is why he's slow during baseball.

Keep encouraging sports. But you need to start feeding him better quality food. Reduce the sugar, breads, and pasta. Increase the veggies and lean meats.
  • JewelsinBigD
    I wouldn't force him to do something he doesn't want. Exercise should be fun for kids and adults.
    Is he dangerously overweight? What is his diet like?
    Definitely not dangerously overweight- just has a big tummy- his legs and arms are really tone and he is really strong. He is 95+% height and weight and the doctor has said his whole life if we watch his diet he will grow into himself- but that has not happened and he gets teased by the scrawny kids in school for being slow.
    He eats well- he will eat anything I put in front of him which consists of high protein, low carb (wheat pasta and the like)- and we talk about protein carbs, fats. I have him do calculations on truly horrible stuff...so he knows if he eats it that it puts him to x% of his daily intake.
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    What does he like to do? Would he think it was fun to participate in a mud run. If he did, you could enter him and then he could use a C25K training program. Would a hike or backpack trip interest him? Talk about how long he thought it would take the two of you to prepare and set a date. Research and find a conditioning program to help you prepare. How about some kind of family fitness contest with a prize that will motivate him to succeed. Set the goals as something that can change as he experiments to find what he's good at and enjoys. Try something new to the two of you. Tell him you wanted to try...but were a little afraid to try it by yourself, would he be willing to try it with you.

Just don't stress, he's already active in sports.
  • My kids started running by following our example. We signed our three boys up for the Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure two years ago and now they are all runners. I would not push him into running. Each person needs to find what they like doing; running, swimming, basketball, hiking, weight training, etc.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    He is 95+% height and weight and the doctor has said his whole life if we watch his diet he will grow into himself- but that has not happened and he gets teased by the scrawny kids in school for being slow.

Huh? Did you say he is proportional for height and weight? If he's both 95% for height AND weight then he is not fat should not be dieting. He may just need to work on his sprint speed for baseball. Sprint speed is actually reduced by endurance running. He needs to perform sprints in order to get better at running the bases. If he's big he's going to be slower then skinny lighter kids, that's just normal (maybe he should play football!).
  • twingirlsmommy
    twingirlsmommy Posts: 111 Member
    He's 10, I don't think he should have to worry about calories! As an adult, you buy groceries and can pack his lunch or prepare healthy snacks. You make the choices. Not him. He should worry about being a kid and playing. I'm sure he understands an apple is good and a chocolate bar is bad. Only put good choices in front of him.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    The beatings will continue until morale improves......

First off address the overweight problem - that's due to diet not lack of running ability.
    Then let the kid do the sports he wants to do and enjoys.

I agree with this. Straighten out his diet and then exercise.

^^^^^ THIS!!!! Why is it important that he runs?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Instead of trying to force him to do what you like, encourage him to do activities that he likes. Some people just do not like to run, if you keep on him you will push him further away from fitness all together. Best of luck to you.
    Much truth, here. I'll also second the "he's not yet hit puberty, relax" and "diet contributes more to weight gain than exercise" sentiments.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    So you limit the amount of sports he can enrol in but your complaining about his amount of exercise? What to contradict yourself. Guess what? Maybe your boy does not like to run! Find something he likes - not what you like. We are out of the era of parents pushing their lives onto their children right?
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Tie him to the back of your vehicle and drive at a reasonable pace.

This is what I usually do........
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    My son is 11, and I sign him up for the 5k fun runs, and do them with him. The wilder, the better. We are doing the foam fest run in August, and he can't wait until the day he turns 15 so he can do the Warrior Dash. He is not an active child, he would rather sit and play video games for the rest of his life than do anything else, BUT, he gets excited for these fun runs. I keep him active by telling him we need to "train" for our runs.
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    He is 10. He shouldn't be having to worry about how many proteins/carbs/etc. he's getting. He should be focusing on being a kid. Talk to him about why he quit baseball - find a way to communicate what he wants to do vs what he thinks you want him to do (which is oh so hard---as a single mom, my son felt most comfortable writing back and forth with me). You worry about what he eats - keep all healthy stuff on hand and easy to access. I was lucky that my son preferred apples to candy bars until his teenage years! :smile:

At 10 - he's got some huge growth spurts coming up. I wouldn't fret about his weight at this point. I would focus on health. Ask him about tennis/badminton/volleyball too. All fun things with a lot of movement and agility.

Good luck to you both! Keep us posted!
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    I wouldn't force him to do something he doesn't want. Exercise should be fun for kids and adults.
    Is he dangerously overweight? What is his diet like?
    Definitely not dangerously overweight- just has a big tummy- his legs and arms are really tone and he is really strong. He is 95+% height and weight and the doctor has said his whole life if we watch his diet he will grow into himself- but that has not happened and he gets teased by the scrawny kids in school for being slow.
    He eats well- he will eat anything I put in front of him which consists of high protein, low carb (wheat pasta and the like)- and we talk about protein carbs, fats. I have him do calculations on truly horrible stuff...so he knows if he eats it that it puts him to x% of his daily intake.

Honestly, it sounds like he'll be just fine. He's active, it sounds like he is eating pretty well, you are educating him on proper nutrition.... It sucks that kids are teasing him, but some kids are just jerks. He could be the fastest, slimmest kid on the team and there will be a little jerk in training out there that will find something to tease him about. Every kid has his strengths and weaknesses, maybe running is not his strength, and there is nothing wrong with that, but if you can help him discover what he is good at that'll give him something to hold on to when he is being picked on for silly things like not running fast enough. Maybe that'll help him hold his head high... just a thought.
  • JewelsinBigD
    I've never much liked running, myself. I need to have a place/destination to be going to for it to "make sense" to me. As others have said, work on what and how much he eats (help him learn to make better choices and don't make him clean his plate) and encourage him to find activities he likes(don't have to be formal sports). Can you put up a basketball hoop for him at home or is there a schoolyard or park court close enough to get into pickup games? Does he have a bicycle - that was my "thing" as a kid - my sister and I roamed a couple of counties on bikes (although many years ago when it was maybe "safer").
    Got the hoop and a bike (but he is not a huge fan of the bike since he is not as fast as his brother is). I have 4 kids and only my oldest son is overweight, my 3rd child is way underweight and the other 2 are in the normal range. I feed everyone the same. He just wants to eat more and I have to tell him when it is time to stop. I am fairly certain he must find food somewhere else since what I feed him can't keep him heavy.
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    The key to losing weight is diet. You cannot exercise enough to overcome poor eating habits. I would focus on that as a start to fight the fat. Start tracking his intake and his calorie burn for a month and see what that looks like then you can work with him to adjust that.

Its great he enjoys and participates in sports. Maybe there is a sport the two of you could share such as tennis, golf, bike riding.

and maybe he just doesn't want to hang out with his mom..there's always that.:smile:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    I always ran when my mother grabbed the wooden spoon.

Or the wire handled fly-swatter. :)
  • JewelsinBigD
    He is 10. He shouldn't be having to worry about how many proteins/carbs/etc. he's getting. He should be focusing on being a kid. Talk to him about why he quit baseball - find a way to communicate what he wants to do vs what he thinks you want him to do (which is oh so hard---as a single mom, my son felt most comfortable writing back and forth with me). You worry about what he eats - keep all healthy stuff on hand and easy to access. I was lucky that my son preferred apples to candy bars until his teenage years! :smile:

At 10 - he's got some huge growth spurts coming up. I wouldn't fret about his weight at this point. I would focus on health. Ask him about tennis/badminton/volleyball too. All fun things with a lot of movement and agility.

Good luck to you both! Keep us posted!
    Thanks everyone - I love the ideas and support - I really want him to succeed in the sports he loves and I want him to feel good about himself- I am getting that Zombie app for sure!