Carbs: not created equal.

I have seen this a lot on the forums lately and I wanted to make a thread about it, though I'm sure there's probably a few floating around somewhere. :)

I see a lot of people saying that carbs are carbs are carbs and it doesn't matter where you get them from. While technically, yes, a carbohydrate and another carbohydrate are the same name, they may not be the same in how they work in your body. So I figured I'd try to break it down so that someone who doesn't know can have this information. I found it helpful when I first learned it and it has helped me make better choices in food.

Basically, there are three types of carbs. (Technically, there are only two, but I'll explain later.) I'll break it down by each one and then post a link if I can find a good article. :)

Simple carbs

Also called "simple sugars." A simple carb consists of 1 or 2 units of sugar (glucose). This means when it breaks down, the simple sugars are released pretty quickly. A good reference for what a simple carb is would be sucralose (table sugar.) Things that taste sweet usually have simple carbs. Anything sweetened with sugar or honey, fruits and some veggies all have simple carbs. This does not mean that simple carbs are bad or that you should avoid them all together.

Carbohydrates are one of the body's main sources of energy. *

If you need energy short-term, reach for an apple. The simple carbs in the apple may be able to give you as much energy as a cup of coffee (according to some research; admittedly I haven't researched it since about 2 years ago and it may have been debunked since then.)
Simple carbs are digested rather quickly and will not keep you full for as long as the next type of carb.

Complex carbs

Complex carbs are a bit more structurally complicated. They have many units of sugar as opposed to 1 or 2, like simple carbs. Though they are broken down by the body in the same manner, they take longer to break down (digest.) That means that complex carbs will keep you fuller, longer. They also trigger only a moderate rise in insulin levels. Complex carbs can be found in foods such as breads (yes, even white bread), pasta, and corn. However, things like whole wheat pasta, brown rice, and whole wheat bread will keep you full even longer because they contain our next "type" of carb.

Fiber

Let's start off by saying that technically, fiber is not its own kind of carb. Fiber is, structurally, a complex carb. However, it does not break down into glucose. It also keeps you full even longer than most complex carbs. Here's why:

-It takes longer to chew. That's right, silly as it seems, most foods with fiber in it take more time to chew (thinks beans, whole grains, and nuts.) This starts the mental process of feeling full because you're taking your time. Eating slower helps you realize when you're actually full.

-Then it moves to the stomach, where it sits a lot heavier than other, non-fibrous foods. This is because, once again, it's difficult to break down. It stays in the stomach a bit longer and keeps you full.

-Since (insoluble) fiber is virtually impossible to break down, it takes longer to move through the digestive tract. Because it slows things down a bit, it helps regulate the absorption of glucose. Meaning, it helps your body have stable blood sugar/insulin levels rather than spikes of both like you find in simple carbs.

There are different types of fiber (soluble and insoluble) but that's for another post :laugh:

So, to make it even more simple (TL;DR version:)

-Sweets, candies, fruits, sugar -- simple carbs. Will cause spike in sugar/insulin levels. Fills you up, but not for too long.
-Breads, pasta, rice, starches -- complex carbs. Will cause moderate rises in sugar/insulin levels. Keeps you fuller for a little longer.
-Whole wheat breads, brown rice, fibrous veggies, nuts, legumes -- fiber. Will keep blood sugar/insulin regulated while it is in the system. Keeps you full for a good amount of time.

Hopefully this post has reached at least one person who did not know this information and will help them reach for smarter options when choosing their meals. I couldn't find any good/reliable articles that didn't explain it the same way I just did, so feel free to Google for more in-depth info. :)

*Carbs are a primary source of energy because they break down into glucose, which is then stored as ATP. But again, that is another post :)

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Shamelessly bumping my own thread... :)
  • loislenski
    loislenski Posts: 89 Member
    Good post! I have learning about that this semester in my Therapeutic Nutrition class.
  • DalekBrittany
    Good post! I have learning about that this semester in my Therapeutic Nutrition class.

Thank you! I learned it in school as well but did my own research when I started trying to lose.
  • DalekBrittany
    Getting off of here for now but please leave comments, if you come across this :)
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    What about super carbs? I heard they break down into a fat burning mineral?
  • DalekBrittany
    What about super carbs? I heard they break down into a fat burning mineral?

As far as I know, there is no such type of carb. Simple, complex, and fiber. That's it. :) Super carbs sounds like a diet where all you eat is carbs :laugh:
  • DalekBrittany
    No one reads my posts today.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Simple carbs = sugar. Complex carbs = chains of sugar. They both end up being glucose in your body, and your body converts complex carbs to sugar very efficiently with digestive enzymes - it starts in the mouth with salivary amylase. There isn't really a functional difference between white flour and sugar. Fiber is relatively indigestible because we don't have the enzymes to break it down into its component sugars.
  • DalekBrittany
    Simple carbs = sugar. Complex carbs = chains of sugar. They both end up being glucose in your body, and your body converts complex carbs to sugar very efficiently with digestive enzymes - it starts in the mouth with salivary amylase. There isn't really a functional difference between white flour and sugar. Fiber is relatively indigestible because we don't have the enzymes to break it down into its component sugars.

Yepp, that is what I said. Or did I word something wrong and you're trying to clarify?
  • kimcatus
    kimcatus Posts: 27
    I have been trying to eat more complex carbs as I found myself not having enough energy for my runs, and eating the right carbs really help! And I definitely notice that they are NOT created equal!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    The only carb I really care about is ice cream. Some candy, too.
  • What percent of your daily caloric intake should come from carbs?
  • DalekBrittany
    What percent of your daily caloric intake should come from carbs?

This, unfortunately, I cannot tell you. I know how they work, but I do not know much about nutrition. Anyone that can answer this question is more than welcome to! I can tell you though that the recommended amount of fiber is 20-25 grams. :)
  • DalekBrittany
    The only carb I really care about is ice cream. Some candy, too.

Lol gotta love simple carbs!
  • DalekBrittany
    I googled it and it says 45 to 65% carbs. I don't know how true it is, but that's what mine usually ends up being anyway.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member

Yepp, that is what I said. Or did I word something wrong and you're trying to clarify?

I'm saying that sugar and the carbs in bread are pretty much interchangeable for the purposes of a healthy diet. Even whole grains don't take long to digest. If you want your food to make you feel full longer, having some protein and fat along with something high in fiber will help. If you need to control your blood sugar, you will probably need to restrict both sugar and grains, including whole grains, to do it. Beans, especially black beans, and many vegetables, are better sources of fiber than whole grains are.