Christmas Fitness Challenge Check-in - December 7

It's Friday! How was your week? You are ALL doing great no matter where you are at in your journey. ANY exercise is better than NO exercise. Any little bit is making you a healthier, more fit individual. WAY TO GO!

Last night I did 30 min of high intensity on my bike and then I did two 30 min episodes of Shimmy (the bellydancing workout on FitTV). The bellydancing was kind of fun. And, while it was definitly LOW IMPACT I did work up a sweat. My hips, lower back, and upper thighs are feeling it. So, that's a good thing!

I did weigh in this morning and I stayed the same as last week. I'm still at 25 lbs lost, and given my poor week I guess I can't be anything but relieved that the scale stayed where it was. And, I still should be proud of how far I've come! I can't reach my Christmas goal as I'd need to lose 7.5 lbs before Christmas still. That's half way to my goal weight. Maybe by New Years?!

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!! :flowerforyou:
Have a super, exercise filled weekend!
Niccole

Replies

• NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    It's Friday! How was your week? You are ALL doing great no matter where you are at in your journey. ANY exercise is better than NO exercise. Any little bit is making you a healthier, more fit individual. WAY TO GO!

Last night I did 30 min of high intensity on my bike and then I did two 30 min episodes of Shimmy (the bellydancing workout on FitTV). The bellydancing was kind of fun. And, while it was definitly LOW IMPACT I did work up a sweat. My hips, lower back, and upper thighs are feeling it. So, that's a good thing!

I did weigh in this morning and I stayed the same as last week. I'm still at 25 lbs lost, and given my poor week I guess I can't be anything but relieved that the scale stayed where it was. And, I still should be proud of how far I've come! I can't reach my Christmas goal as I'd need to lose 7.5 lbs before Christmas still. That's half way to my goal weight. Maybe by New Years?!

Have a super, exercise filled weekend!
    Niccole
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    The scale didn't show any change for me either this am but I took my measurements again and am down 5.5 inches since last week so I'm happy. I rode my bike 10 miles & worked on the Bowflex. HAPPY FRIDAY everyone!:drinker:
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Yesterday I ended up getting snowed in. :angry: So, I started shoveling the driveway, got about a quarter of the way into it and our neighbor came over with his snow blower and finished it! (I actually wanted the workout!!:grumble: ) Oh well. So, I ran around in the backyard with the dogs for about 20 minutes, then went inside and did a 30 minute total body workout on my Carmen Electra Fit to Strip DVD. I weighed myself again this morning, just to see where I was and I am down a pound since last week. So, down 11.5 pounds total and only 8.5 pounds to go until New Years! I'm going to work really hard to get there, even with Christmas!! But, seing the results helps to keep the motivation up!!! So, I can say that this was a good week!:bigsmile:

*kistinbee*
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Happy Friday indeed! I did a 1 hr spinning class this morning. I'm heading back to the gym tonight for a special 75 minute spinning class and before that we're doing a 20 minute strength training session. I need it before the weekend!

Niccole, do you DVR the shimmy workout and do it on your own time? I was thinking about checking it out. It looks so fun.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Way to go Julie! I peeked at the scale this morning since I was STILL SORE from Wednesday's strength class. Shouldn't have. Up a lb. It's only official on Mondays though. I can't remember what my Christmas goal was - 5 lbs I think? Unless something drastic happens, don't think I'm going to get there either. I only have two weeks before I leave for Colorado Springs! I would have to lose at least 1.5 lbs each week. My body doesn't work that way. 160 by mid-January, taking into account vacation, should be doable.

More complaining ahead: I could barely move yesterday. My hamstrings and quads were so incredibly sore. I could only walk at 3.0 mph and even that looked funny - I looked like a 90 year old with a bad back - willing my legs to move forward. I did 45 minutes in the morning and went for another 25 minutes with husband - I actually held onto his arm for a while!

More walking today. Hope to get up to 3.5 mph, but if not, oh well. Probably go over on calories again (not by much). I figure, at times like these, as long as I'm not going over 500 calories a day, I'm still losing, just not a quickly. I need the rest. Still going to the class next week.

What doesn't kill me, makes me sillier.

p.s. Deanea - I loved your Tues/Thurs posts. Call it like you see it!
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Way to go Julie! I peeked at the scale this morning since I was STILL SORE from Wednesday's strength class. Shouldn't have. Up a lb. It's only official on Mondays though. I can't remember what my Christmas goal was - 5 lbs I think? Unless something drastic happens, don't think I'm going to get there either. I only have two weeks before I leave for Colorado Springs! I would have to lose at least 1.5 lbs each week. My body doesn't work that way. 160 by mid-January, taking into account vacation, should be doable.

More complaining ahead: I could barely move yesterday. My hamstrings and quads were so incredibly sore. I could only walk at 3.0 mph and even that looked funny - I looked like a 90 year old with a bad back - willing my legs to move forward. I did 45 minutes in the morning and went for another 25 minutes with husband - I actually held onto his arm for a while!

More walking today. Hope to get up to 3.5 mph, but if not, oh well. Probably go over on calories again (not by much). I figure, at times like these, as long as I'm not going over 500 calories a day, I'm still losing, just not a quickly. I need the rest. Still going to the class next week.

What doesn't kill me, makes me sillier.

p.s. Deanea - I loved your Tues/Thurs posts. Call it like you see it!

"What doesn't kill me, makes me sillier" I LOVE IT! What a great thought for this weekend!
    Thanks for everyone staying and keeping me motivated. I also peeked at the scale and am finally heading back down after two weeks of not moving. For those of you also stuck, don't give up on your goals. You never know when you body is ready to move past a plateau, and that can be by as little as a half pound or several pounds. You never know just what Santa is going to "Give you", it just might be your goals!!!! I'm committed to my 30-min minimum everyday for the month.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Crap ( sorry) - blew out my hip the other day. Not sure whats wrong with it. Probably just overdoing it - my husband keeps telling me to lay off " What are you getting ready for the Iron Man competition". I tend to go overboard sometimes. These old joints cant take it anymore.
    Taking 3 days off to see if gets better. Still lost 1 1/2 pounds since Monday!!
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    what is with all of our injuries? Well, just remember to take care of ourselves!

yesterday.....excuses, excuses
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Took an hour long walk in the snowy day.

Hopefully will get a cardio dance party in later...(40 minutes of dance cardio stuff DVD)

Still don't feel good, but get absolute cabin fever from not working out. But, I'm following Dr.'s orders by not doing my usual heavy cardio.

happy weekend, everybody:flowerforyou:
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    I am setting up my better half's treadmill tonight. It's been, umm 'resting' in the basment and I have decided to add Cardio to my exercise. I do about 15 min on alternate nights on a stair climber, but I keep the resistance so high, it's not good for extended use. It's really resistance training, not cardio, I guess.

So far I haven't been able to make time for Cardio, because I've been doing 60 minutes minimum weight training 6 days per week (split routine). The intensity was leaving me happy to rest that 7th day. I'm getting a little over trained so I've made a new schedule that leaves a couple of days open each week and I can still keep working each split 3 times per week. Now I'll be able to fit in a Cardio twice every 7 days.

I guess now I'll have to start reading all these Cardio posts. :smile: I wonder how I'd look doing Cardio Dance Party?? :laugh:
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    I am setting up my better half's treadmill tonight. It's been, umm 'resting' in the basment and I have decided to add Cardio to my exercise. I do about 15 min on alternate nights on a stair climber, but I keep the resistance so high, it's not good for extended use. It's really resistance training, not cardio, I guess.

So far I haven't been able to make time for Cardio, because I've been doing 60 minutes minimum weight training 6 days per week (split routine). The intensity was leaving me happy to rest that 7th day. I'm getting a little over trained so I've made a new schedule that leaves a couple of days open each week and I can still keep working each split 3 times per week. Now I'll be able to fit in a Cardio twice every 7 days.

I guess now I'll have to start reading all these Cardio posts. :smile: I wonder how I'd look doing Cardio Dance Party?? :laugh:
    Wow, 6 days of weight training is awesome. I'm such a cardio junkie I find it difficult to enjoy lifting. Do you workout with a trainer? My goal is to begin a lifting program after the first of the year. A girlfriend of mine does body building competitions and asked me if I'd be willing to workout with her a few days a week. NO WAY am I even considering competing, but maybe I'll learn how to like lifting.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    :sad: no workout today, had to work extra. I hurt from the cardio I did yesterday. Two weeks ago I was trying to lift a frozen bag of potting soil at home depot from a pallet above my head. Way stupid. I slid and whacked me in the mid chest bending me backwards to far. Something is wrong feeling in my back but I don't know if it is muscular or disc related. I want to go to the doctors but my boss is going in for surgery next week and I have to be the boss so I can't be laid up. So I just did walking for two weeks hoping it would feel better. Yesterday I tried a belly dance cardio video( say that 10 times fast lol) The back is now protesting so, until my boss is done healing from his problem I will have to suck it up and I don't think I'll be doing anything very fast. Gee Razboo, I'm just the opposite. I have spent three months just doing cardio and not any strength training and I guess until I get an okay from a doc I won't be doing any either. Congrats on all the good work people. I don't know about anyone else but I'm a born klutz and I just keep getting hurt. This :drinker: is going to get a cup of coffee. See ya
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    So I just did walking for two weeks hoping it would feel better. Yesterday I tried a belly dance cardio video( say that 10 times fast lol) The back is now protesting so, until my boss is done healing from his problem I will have to suck it up and I don't think I'll be doing anything very fast. Gee Razboo, I'm just the opposite. I have spent three months just doing cardio and not any strength training and I guess until I get an okay from a doc I won't be doing any either. Congrats on all the good work people. I don't know about anyone else but I'm a born klutz and I just keep getting hurt. This :drinker: is going to get a cup of coffee. See ya

Walking is better than nothing. Anything is better than nothing, just keep it off the back. Keep trying!
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Wow, 6 days of weight training is awesome. I'm such a cardio junkie I find it difficult to enjoy lifting. Do you workout with a trainer? My goal is to begin a lifting program after the first of the year. A girlfriend of mine does body building competitions and asked me if I'd be willing to workout with her a few days a week. NO WAY am I even considering competing, but maybe I'll learn how to like lifting.
    It's a split routine thing. No trainer, though. I use a somewhat 'fluid' plan that originated back in my twenties. Loosely based on the Push/Pull idea.

So. I got the treadmill set up and did what I *expected* to be a nice leisurely break from my normal work out. After 45min at 3 or so mph, I was sweating like an ox! Time to eat some Humble Pie and give Cardio it's due!! :embarassed:

I've been too stubborn to consider it, I guess. Not 'manly' enough or something :noway: . Now I'm glad I discovered it. :smile:

Hey, kj pic's looking good! :wink:
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Niccole, do you DVR the shimmy workout and do it on your own time? I was thinking about checking it out. It looks so fun.

Sorry, I wrote a response earlier but my computer crashed! :grumble:

Anyway, yes, I recorded the episodes on my Tivo and then did them last night. They must have been somewhat fun as I didn't even get done with the second episode until after midnight! :yawn: I set it up to record the next couple of episodes, too. I also told my hubby that I need one of their belly dancing outfits! Maybe if I looked good then I wouldn't look as silly doing some of the moves that I just didn't quite get down. Anyway, give it a try! It made for a more relaxing workout than the things I've been trying.

Niccole
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    :sad: no workout today, had to work extra. I hurt from the cardio I did yesterday. Two weeks ago I was trying to lift a frozen bag of potting soil at home depot from a pallet above my head. Way stupid. I slid and whacked me in the mid chest bending me backwards to far. Something is wrong feeling in my back but I don't know if it is muscular or disc related. I want to go to the doctors but my boss is going in for surgery next week and I have to be the boss so I can't be laid up. So I just did walking for two weeks hoping it would feel better. Yesterday I tried a belly dance cardio video( say that 10 times fast lol) The back is now protesting so, until my boss is done healing from his problem I will have to suck it up and I don't think I'll be doing anything very fast. Gee Razboo, I'm just the opposite. I have spent three months just doing cardio and not any strength training and I guess until I get an okay from a doc I won't be doing any either. Congrats on all the good work people. I don't know about anyone else but I'm a born klutz and I just keep getting hurt. This :drinker: is going to get a cup of coffee. See ya

Try this. Make a fist with your thumb toward you. Blow hard into into the closed fist; hard like bearing down when you go to the bathroom. If that causes a specific point of pain, it's what is referred to as a space occupying lesion, which includes herniated discs. If it's general, all over achiness, probably not a disc. The fact that you can walk and do belly dancing leads me toward muscular, but there is always chance of a spinous process or facet fracture with extreme extension like you descrive. When you go to bed, put a pillow between your legs to take pressure off your hips/back, ice it, and take ibuprofen or naproxen sodium (advil or aleeve). Our team doc says 2 aleeve twice a day for our athletes. As I tell my athletes, don't mess around with a back injury. You have two knees, two ankles, two shoulders, but only one back! Take Care of It! Heal quickly!:flowerforyou: