How Often Should I Exercise To Lose Weight?

I exercise four times a week for an hour, is that enough?

Replies

• libertarian4321
    libertarian4321 Posts: 17 Member
    I suppose it depends on the person.

I've been doing this for a little over 3 months now, and have barely exercised at all and have been losing weight steadily.

Though I'm sure it would go faster if I did exercise.
  • BoohBaby
    BoohBaby Posts: 50 Member
    I think that this is enough for weight loss. Of course your diet has to go hand and hand. I exercise 5-6 days per week for one hour per day. On Saturdays I get it in for three hours. Powerflex, cycling and zumba. I love it!!! Totally hooked on all 3.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    as often as you want. exercise is optional for weight loss..

for optimal FAT loss though, (difference from weight loss) then full body compound resistance training is required. everyone needs to be stressed at least once a week.

As always though, diet is key to all. Doesn't matter what you do at the gym if you don't have whats at the plate in order.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    As often as it takes to maintain a caloric deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I assume you're using the calorie goal MFP gave you? If you net to that goal, you will lose weight...there is a calorie deficit built into that goal. MFP uses the NEAT method (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) in estimating your calorie goal. The NEAT method assumes no exercise or any exercise you do is extra. This is why when you exercise and log it, MFP increases your calorie goal so that you don't under-eat by neglecting to fuel that activity.

In summary, use your diet for weight loss/weight control; exercise for fitness. Set fitness goals that go beyond calorie burn and weight loss...you'll thank yourself later.