School Project.. Using MFP... Please help!

amy_lynn_522
amy_lynn_522 Posts: 55 Member
I'm doing a project for school on discourse communities and their literacy. I decided to use MFP as my community. The following are the questions I have to answer... any input to any question is greatly appreciated! Feel free to either post or write me privately if you want either way, thanks in advance! ~ Amy

1) What kinds of things do you read for information on weight loss/exercise... websites included?

2) Do you blog about your journey?

3) How long have you been involved with the MFP Community?

4) What are some words/phrases that are on MFP that you will only find in this community and what do they mean?

5) Are there any other fitness and exercise communities that you belong to?

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    1) What kinds of things do you read for information on weight loss/exercise... websites included?
    MFP, Muscle & Fitness, Google, Google Scholar, eHow, AskJeeves, Altavista, Lycos, Archie.
    My weightloss journey? No. My journey into the bowels of human depravity and the chilling depths to which we will sink in order to slake our lustful thirsts? Also negative.
    A year.
    4) What are some words/phrases that are on MFP that you will only find in this community and what do they mean?
    Bump - with a unique definition here meaning "The website doesn't have any manner to flag a topic other than responding to it and I can't be bothered to contribute meaningfully and thus I will write nonsense".
    Tnation, Fitocracy, and Fetlife.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    MFP, Fitness magazine, Cooking Light magazine.

No blogging.

Been here since Dec 2008

bump, NSV (non scale victory), SW (starting weight) GW (goal weight) LW(lowest weight) IIFYM (if it fits your macros) TDEE (total daily energy expeniture), Does anyone know how to make a pine cone bird feeder? (which means the thread is beyond stupid)

No, I would never cheat on my beloved MFP. I'm here more than on FB. By tenfold.
  • bambi2578
    bambi2578 Posts: 155 Member
    -- Mostly the forums on here. Sometimes I look at the search websites news (Yahoo, Google) and see what Health topics they have.

-- I try to blog once a week, whether people read it or it's any good is another story. Just try to keep myself in check.

-- Since the beginning of March 2013

-- Bump (quick way to get back to a thread you like), NSV (non scale victory)

-- I was on weightlossbuddy.com prior to here, but I'm happier here :)
  • 1)I google everything! I always end up on myfitnesspal blogs and caloriecount.com

2) blog? nope

3)myfitnesspal since january.?

4) "Stay strong" i dont only hear it here but i mostly 99% hear it here. it means alot to keep pushing<3

5) nope
  • laurarn319
    laurarn319 Posts: 2 Member
    1) What kinds of things do you read for information on weight loss/exercise... websites included? Oxygen magazine, Runners World Magazine, BodyBuilding.com, Shape magazine

2) Do you blog about your journey? No

3) How long have you been involved with the MFP Community? Over a year :)

4) What are some words/phrases that are on MFP that you will only find in this community and what do they mean? MFP...

5) Are there any other fitness and exercise communities that you belong to? Fitbit, TrackMyRun
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    1) What kinds of things do you read for information on weight loss/exercise... websites included? MFP

2) Do you blog about your journey? Occasionally - more about the emotional part of weight loss, not so much the physical aspect

3) How long have you been involved with the MFP Community? a year and a half

4) What are some words/phrases that are on MFP that you will only find in this community and what do they mean? Really, lucky Leprechaun has the perfect answer, so "bump, NSV (non scale victory), SW (starting weight) GW (goal weight) LW(lowest weight) IIFYM (if it fits your macros) TDEE (total daily energy expeniture), Does anyone know how to make a pine cone bird feeder? (which means the thread is beyond stupid)"

5) Are there any other fitness and exercise communities that you belong to? Fitocracy - though I rarely keep up with it. MFP is mostly it for me.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    *MFP, MFP, and MFP

*I used to all the time. Now that I've been at maintenance for so long (and then a bit of re-losing just a bit of happy weight I gained after my divorce), I am bad about keeping it up. I used to blog all on MFP, but when I deactivated my old account I moved everything to a wordpress blog.

*September 16, 2010 and I've logged in every day since then.

*Journey - a word that drives many people bonkers, but basically it is the process one goes through to get from their starting point (be it obese or anorexic or anything in between) to their end goal (hopefully fit and healthy, but the actual definition of those can vary).
    * TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure - how many calories your body burns in a day.
    * BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate - how many calories your body burns just to live (if you were in a vegetative state or stayed in bed all day).
    * IIFIYM - If It Fits In Your Macros. The idea is that you can eat what you want as long as it fits into your macronutrient goals.
    * Macros - Fat, Protein, Carbs.

* No
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member

Hm... Well I've read a variety of things... forums, web articles... but the important part is to realize what is completely ridiculous, and which members of the MFP community have got it figured out and give good advice. Heads-up - the correct answer usually makes logical sense. If it sounds too good to be true, that's because it is. :P

So much blogging. All the blogging. O_O

Over a year. Since like... January ish of last year. So that's a year and 4 months or so now.

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure
    "Trolling" = to say things specifically to get a reaction, usually anger
    "Have you tried raspberry keytones?" = "You're an idiot" or "This is a troll thread"
    "Just Break Up" or "JBU" = The answer to all of the relationship problems that ever happen ever.
    Eat more = the answer to all of the ladies who can't figure out why their metabolism is crashing and they can't lose weight...

Nope. Maybe will at some point later, but not right now.
  • amy_lynn_522
    amy_lynn_522 Posts: 55 Member
    Thanks for all your responses so far! Very informative!

Amy
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member

I read books. I read some blogs occasionally. I mostly follow them on facebook, there are too many to remember them all. Some are: Girls Gone Strong, Strength Lies in Beauty, Burn the Fat blog, Brett Contreras, Strong Lifts, Body Recomposition: Lyle McDonald. I like Michael Pollan (he went to the same college as me). I also like Alan Aragon. I also follow some blogs just about health (usually community based) and dancing and yoga (YogaBrains).

No. My fitness is not really worth blogging about. There are other things I write about and dance about. I do share stuff with my friends on facebook occasionally. Just enough to be helpful, not enough to annoy people (or to cause them to think I'm obsessed with fitness).

10.5 months

TOM means time of the month. That's the only one I can think of that is specific to mfp. There are phrases I only first encountered here, but I'm sure people use them other places.

Just the blogs I was talking about. I signed up for Fitocracy, but I have never used it.