Baseball fans...

xF7x
xF7x Posts: 143
If you are a baseball fan, I don't care what team and if you have played the game or not.

What's one of the things you like so much about the game?

Mine.. The pitching and working the count.

I like playing infield third base or short stop, but may natural position it's been second base.

And by the way.. I'd like to be your friend just because of this common interest.

Replies

• doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    this is the only thing I like about baseball:

LNx1W9D.gif
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    I like the pitching more than the offense, though a rally for my team is always good.

I really enjoy seeing the "little things" done right: Fielders backing up the play correctly to save an extra base, a correctly executed Hit-n-Run play, things like that.

From my POV, watching baseball is akin to watching a good suspense movie. There may not be drama behind every moment, but you're never quite sure when the real adrenaline-pumping moments are about to come.
  • boperoni10
    boperoni10 Posts: 3,034
    I think there is drama every moment.
    There is suspense with each and every pitch!

I understand that some think it is slow, but it is the slow build up of each pitch that makes it suspenseful and GREAT!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Today is Joe Mauer's birthday. He is my baseball boyfriend.

I just love baseball because it's easy to follow. I mean, sports like hockey and football are exciting to watch because they are so action packed. I just like the pace of baseball. I like seeing the intensity in the faces of the players when I'm watching a game on TV, and when I'm at the park I just love the atmosphere. It's the greatest thing ever.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Love baseball. Tigers fan, but also like the Red Sox. I went to Camden Yards to see the Orioles play the Blue Jays. I just love the game.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    I absolutely LOVE to see home runs hit, grand slams are better but any home run makes me smile...go Braves!! ????
  • Everything that could possibly happen every single pitch.

- Where you pitch based on the count
    - Where you pitch based on hitters strengths
    - Whereyou pitch based on who is on base and where
    - Do you hit and run
    - do you sacrifice

It is the ultimate chess game!
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Crying when I see the women that used to play in front of their pictures in the hall of fame. They were so brave!
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Having played (catcher), coached and umpired ages 5 -20, recreational and competitive for most of my life, I don't think there is anything I don't like about it! But the intricancies, from working the count, to positioning fielders based on the pitch, count and hitter, are what I really love.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    The respect and sportsmanship that is shown at the high school level. I am a high school umpire and the best example was last night. 2 school within 5 miles of each other were playing.in the first inning the 2nd batter saw at least a dozen pitches, probably more, before he flew out to center. After rounding first he headed towards the mound, which scared me a little with possible rival games, the batter looks at the pitcher and says "Nice battle and helluva good pitch" a quick hand slap and the pitcher says "I enjoyed it"

I do other sports and they are all about gettin respect and trash talking. I also like how the kids are responsible and proud of the ball field they play on. you do not get that with other sports. I could go on for days and a lot of things I appreciate about the game are things that are never seen by the casual.

GO CHI-SOX!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    I like the pace of the game, the fact that it ain't over 'til it's over, the many things that can happen with each play, the strategy. I like that the season is long and I can gain and lose interest many times but not feel like I've missed anything when I come back. And I most love the time playing catch in the back yard with my 8 year old and hearing his dreams about being a big leaguer like his baseball idols Brandon Crawford and Matt Posey. Baseball is a game of endless possibilities and eternal hope.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    i like creating offense with stealing or bunting or smart base running..or, preferably, a combination.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Crying when I see the women that used to play in front of their pictures in the hall of fame. They were so brave!

Hey! There's no crying in baseball!!!!!!!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member

Hey! There's no crying in baseball!!!!!!!

Beat me to it.
  • xF7x
    xF7x Posts: 143
    I'm enjoying so much the replies as I can relate to most of them.

Two seasons ago, I still remember a play that I was so close to make a triple play... triple plays don't happen that often, to see much less for YOU to be the one that basically would do it all together.

I will always remember this as other times I had in little league. My first home run, can't ever forget. National championships traveling and staying at families homes... lots of memories.
  • First of all, let it be known that Baseball is the best sport ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am lucky enough to have a son that has been playing baseball since T-ball and is now 14 years old and in travel. He's a pitcher and a first baseman. Honestly, what's not to love.
  • boperoni10
    boperoni10 Posts: 3,034
    First of all, let it be known that Baseball is the best sport ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am lucky enough to have a son that has been playing baseball since T-ball and is now 14 years old and in travel. He's a pitcher and a first baseman. Honestly, what's not to love.

Just described me and my son!. Playing since T-ball, now 14, plays for travel team and pitches, plays first (sometimes a little outfield). My dad pitched in the minors a long time ago and not for long, but the love of the game is in our family DNA!.
  • kimcatus
    kimcatus Posts: 27
    I am a huge Red Sox fan, and I hated baseball until I moved there and went to my first game (against the Yankees no less...lol). Now I love the history, the rivalry, the great plays; I love to see my players hit home runs but I don't mind small ball. I like to see great pitching, the connection between the pitcher and the catcher. I love to see a good defensive play, or a great steal or a player hit a grand slam, or an awesome strikeout. What don't I love, really? lol I think it's just the best game ever.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    The head games. Last week, watched a pitcher, in the cold and wet, spend a while trying to get his grip on his curve ball. He'd walk off the mound, wipe his hands down, regrip the ball .. just putting on a big show of trying to get his curveball grip.

He never intended on throwing a curve.

When he FINALLY gets set, he fires strike 3 low, straight, and right down the middle.