Cleanses

Has anyone done a cleanse? If so, which one? I am considering either Advocare or New Matabolism. Do you have any recommendations? Did you lose weight? I am doing it mainly to clean up my eating. 2 months ago I was eating insanely clean and doing the Whole 30 but since running the NYC half marathon my eating has gotten worse and worse. Any insight, recommendations, suggestions would be great!

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Cleanses are basically a waste of money. A cleanse is not needed. Your body cleanses itself.

If you have been eating badly, change your eating. Drink more water and eat minimally processed foods.
  • Just did a modified Juice Cleanse. Only fruit added was green apples or pears in low amounts. Plenty of water. Did go through some heavy detox. If you do try it, take a fiber supplement. Was tough on my body and made it for 5 days. I did the Reboot program. Hope this helps somewhat. God bless and good luck.
  • Garden74
    Garden74 Posts: 8
    I recommend checking out the book "Detox for Women" by Natalia Rose. Lots of good tips to get you on the right path if you are considering a cleanse. The best cleanse is truly what you eat and becoming better educated on the other products/chemicals you use on your body and in your home.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    I do the "Weekly Bath" cleanse every week whether I need it or not.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Cleanses are basically a waste of money. A cleanse is not needed. Your body cleanses itself.

If you have been eating badly, change your eating. Drink more water and eat minimally processed foods.
    qft, this right here op all you need
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Has anyone done a cleanse? If so, which one? I am considering either Advocare or New Matabolism. Do you have any recommendations? Did you lose weight? I am doing it mainly to clean up my eating. 2 months ago I was eating insanely clean and doing the Whole 30 but since running the NYC half marathon my eating has gotten worse and worse. Any insight, recommendations, suggestions would be great!

Interesting that someone healthy and fit enough to finish a marathon would fall for something as unproven and gimmicky as a "cleanse".
  • I agree that cleanses are a waste of money. I decided to lose weight a year ago after listening to all this "cleanse" nonsense on Advocare from 2 of my friends. It costs a lot of money and they would lose 8 lbs in a month and gain it back the next. I decided to get on MFP, eat right and exercise and voila!! I have lost 25 lbs and have kept it off for over 8 months. It cost nothing extra and I love it!!!
  • AmythistRae
    AmythistRae Posts: 107

Interesting that someone healthy and fit enough to finish a marathon would fall for something as unproven and gimmicky as a "cleanse".

how rude...
  • I've tried two different cleanses.
    In the past, I have been a huge fan of the Wild Rose Cleanse - which is basically just super clean eating + supplements for 12 days. I love it and do it at least twice a year just to remind myself of healthy patterns and to kick my perpetual coffee addiction. http://wildroseproducts.com/en-CA

Recently though (as in, I just did it this week) I did the three day Dr. Oz cleanse. It's tough, no doubt, but I really liked it. I struggle with getting my veggies in - I usually remember at lunch and dinner, but anything other than that is basically out of the question. The Dr. Oz cleanse is three days of blended fruits and vegetables. Your calories stay in a healthy range, and you're getting fruits, veggies, fibre and healthy fats four times a day. I thought it was a great reboot. http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-ozs-3-day-detox-cleanse-one-sheet

I don't, however, recommend any cleanse that is based around starvation. That's not cleansing your system, it's harming it.
  • FredDoyle
    Dr.Oz enriches himself by the rule that there is a sucker born every minute.
  • etafeen
    etafeen Posts: 6 Member
    No offense but I am not "falling for" any gimmicky. I was just curious if anyone had done them to jump start their healthy eating and if they have worked. Obviously I understand eating healthy and exercising is the best for long term weight loss. I have lost 40 lbs of the course of a few years (a lot for me considering I am small) and have run 3 half marathons in the last few months including NYC. I can eat very clean, as I was doing the Whole 30 and following it strictly but sometimes after awhile you fall after and get bored and need something new to kick start the super healthy eating.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    You're better off just going back to your clean eating habits. A jump start isn't really necessary - your body cleanses itself.
  • I've done an Herbalife 21 day cleanse! The products are so awesome I became a distributor.. best part is I went from a size 22 to size 5 in just 7 months...I'm down 80 lbs! I am current working on the toning phase! I used to suffer from digestive issues but I am happy to reports those issues have been resolved! I do a cleanse every 4 months. :)

This the overview on our cleanse:

Digestive issues can affect weight, energy, immunity and skin. Jump start healthy digestion with our enhanced 21-Day Herbal Cleansing program – which contains healthy antioxidants and herbs traditionally used to promote digestive balance:

AM Replenishing Formula – A morning tablet with Milk Thistle, which helps promote the body’s natural elimination of toxins.*
    PM Cleansing Formula – An evening tablet that contains Dandelion, traditionally used to support healthy elimination.*

AND FYI I TOO AM FIT NOW & RUN MARATHONS. I ABSOLUTELY BELIEVE A CLEANSE CAN BE NECESSARY. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT....WE ARE NOT ALL BLESSED WITH A GREAT DIGESTIVE SYSTEM!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    I've done an Herbalife 21 day cleanse! The products are so awesome I became a distributor.. best part is I went from a size 22 to size 5 in just 7 months...I'm down 80 lbs! I am current working on the toning phase! I used to suffer from digestive issues but I am happy to reports those issues have been resolved! I do a cleanse every 4 months. :)

This the overview on our cleanse:

Digestive issues can affect weight, energy, immunity and skin. Jump start healthy digestion with our enhanced 21-Day Herbal Cleansing program – which contains healthy antioxidants and herbs traditionally used to promote digestive balance:

AM Replenishing Formula – A morning tablet with Milk Thistle, which helps promote the body’s natural elimination of toxins.*
    PM Cleansing Formula – An evening tablet that contains Dandelion, traditionally used to support healthy elimination.*

AND FYI I TOO AM FIT NOW & RUN MARATHONS. I ABSOLUTELY BELIEVE A CLEANSE CAN BE NECESSARY. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT....WE ARE NOT ALL BLESSED WITH A GREAT DIGESTIVE SYSTEM!

Herbalife is just like all those other worthless money making scams.

Your body cleanses itself. You're free to believe what you want of course however with properly functioning organs you don't need to cleanse your body as your body does it naturally. If your body is not cleansing itself on it's own a visit to the doctor is in order as there is something wrong with your organs.

Most cleanses are glorified laxatives and have never been proven to actually be worthwhile. They are simply just moneymakers.
  • Dr.Oz enriches himself by the rule that there is a sucker born every minute.

I would normally agree - I don't buy the supplements for Wild Rose, I've never PAID to be on a cleanse... but in the case of his 3 day cleanse, he makes no money at all. there are no supplements required outside of Omegas and a multivitamin.

Everyone needs something different. For me, I have to occassionally do something like Dr. Oz's cleanse just to kick myself back into the healthy-eating mode.
  • FredDoyle
    Dr.Oz enriches himself by the rule that there is a sucker born every minute.

I would normally agree - I don't buy the supplements for Wild Rose, I've never PAID to be on a cleanse... but in the case of his 3 day cleanse, he makes no money at all. there are no supplements required outside of Omegas and a multivitamin.

Everyone needs something different. For me, I have to occassionally do something like Dr. Oz's cleanse just to kick myself back into the healthy-eating mode.
    I can understand that if it's just a placebo routine which works for you psychologically to get back on track and doesn't cost you much.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member

how rude...

Not everyone has the capability or desire to be polite. Polite is difficult compared to being rude.

For the OP, I did I guess what you could call a juice cleanse, despite "dire warnings" from some. I juiced all intake of fruit and veg for 4 days if I remember correctly. Only fruit used was apple or pear, juiced carrots, kale, broccoli, parsley, cucumbers, tomatoes, mustard greens, and a few other things that aren't coming to mind right now.

First off, it was easy. The juices are quite good, and I didn't really have any problems with headaches, or any "detox" issues. Added in some protein shakes, and olive oil shots to keep some semblance to semi decent macros. All in all, it was a great experience, gave me some time to think about my relationship with food as well, since coming off it, I'm not craving some of the stuff I used to, like wanting to tear into the foie gras I have in the deep freeze, or getting fried chicken, or ice cream, etc.

I don't think I'd kick any of those out of bed, but they're not on my mind. So it was useful for that.