Lunges harder than squats or is it me?

krhn
krhn Posts: 781 Member
Don't know why but when I do the final reps of lunges my balance starts giving in and my legs become more twitchy and shaky than doing squats - even though both are difficult in the first place... Which would you say is harder? :huh:

Or it's because of fatigue as I hit lunges after 5 sets of squats... :sick:

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Lol! I agree! I hate lunges but then it could be because I'm doing them after my squats...hhhhmmmm?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I also do lunges after squats, so take it for what it's worth...

I think the stability strains are different. With squats, my feet are shoulder width apart and in line with each other, so it requires more of a front-to-back stabilizing. Lunges are just the opposite... stance very narrow (side to side), but one foot far in front of the other... so this requires much more side-to-side stabilizing.

Lunges also put all the strain on one leg...

Ultimately I think it has to do with which one challenges your weakness the most, so it's based on your ability and how heavy you are going.

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I always do lunges after squats too. You're supposed to. And yeah they're tough but oh so good for you.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Totally depends on your personal areas of muscular strength or weakness.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    This is just a personal preference, but I think lunges are way easier than squats!!! But I have never been a fan of the squat, and I feel like I am never doing it right..... I'm probably just making excuses. Or I have a super weak butt. Dunno.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    I find lunges harder. They just completely fry my Quads.... with squats its more of a "whole lower body" fry....instead of just one particular muscle...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Haaaaattttteeee lunges. Squats 4-eva.
  • Mrshunts
    Mrshunts Posts: 160 Member
    I hate lunges in general!!!! i still have quite a bit of weight on me, so its hard sometimes. squats are my BFF, we can rock it out all day lol
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Agree. I do squats first with lunges following. Lunges have always been tough for me. That leg gets to burning!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    I would much rather do squats than lunges!!
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    I also do lunges after squats, so take it for what it's worth...

I think the stability strains are different. With squats, my feet are shoulder width apart and in line with each other, so it requires more of a front-to-back stabilizing. Lunges are just the opposite... stance very narrow (side to side), but one foot far in front of the other... so this requires much more side-to-side stabilizing.

Lunges also put all the strain on one leg...

Ultimately I think it has to do with which one challenges your weakness the most, so it's based on your ability and how heavy you are going.

Lol for my last set of lunges, I sort of fail with proper form, all shaky and stuff - my poor glutes ... :explode:
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    I find the centre of gravity for lunge is more difficult than squats. There's a side to side wobble risk as well as a back and forward wobble risk.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    I strongly dislikes lunges. They are so much harder than squats and it doesn't matter if I do them before r after. When I am done doing them I feel so much better though.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I do lunges on the Smith (about the only thing I use that stupid thing for). I do squats, leg extension, leg press, dead lift, leg curl, then lunges. On my last set I usually feel like diving off a cliff.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Squats are harder if you use more weight. You can't really lunge with a lot of weight safely.

Koing
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    I noticed that since I started doing compound weight lifting, lunges have gotten easier for me... Im thinking its a balance thing...and now that I have better inner core stregnth, lunges are easier... I still dont like them but they are easier
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Depends, what style of lunges and squats are you doing?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    I hardly ever lunge with a barbell but when I do I find them more difficult than squats. If I do lunges, I usually do them with dumbbells or smith machine.
  • chrisshouse
    chrisshouse Posts: 17 Member
    I never feel squats in my butt only my quads & hamstrings. I'm not sure I'm doing it right. My trainer made me take my shoes off once cause she said I raise my heels. Can someone give me the proper technique for squats?

To the OP: My quads kill after lunges, but not in my butt or hamstrings. But what really has gotten me lately was box jumps. Oh vey....
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    For me, squatting is easy. Lunging... mmm, not so much. I guess it depends on the person. Try doing back and forward alternating lunges. Those are HARD.