Tools of the trade

rduhlir
rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
Do you have a piece of gear that you can't run without and want to recommend it? Post it here. This thread is for all the gear you need, want, or dream of. Feel free to post reviews of new gear, previews of up coming running gear, and the gear that got you started!

Replies

• rduhlir
    GPS Gets Thrifty!

Unless you want all the bells and whistles, you no longer have to pay more than $200 for a watch that tracks your speed and distance. Whether you’re a newbie who wants the satisfaction of counting every step, or a longtime runners looking to trade in your clunky wrist computer from 2008, a new crop of GPS devices allows you to invest without dipping into your savings.

A. New Balance GPS Runner 50086 GN $109, newbalance.com

B. Garmin Forerunner 210 $199, garmin.com

C. Timex Marathon GPS $125, timex.com

GPS-Affordable.jpg
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Three things I can't run without:
    - Garmin Forerunner 310XT
    - Sony MP3 headphones
    - 2XU Compression Socks

And shoes of course, but I have several to choose from and like them all.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    My iPhone.
    My iPhone earbuds.
    My Feetures socks.
  • rduhlir
    Runtastic App
    Fitradio App
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Nike+ running app for my iphone

Surprisingly, the green panasonic earbuds that I bought on Amazon for dirt cheap. They don't fall out when I'm running and they're the most comfortable earbuds I've had (considering I paid less than $10)

Merrell bare access arc 2 (longest shoe name..... ever). I never want to run in anything different. Ever.

Also, arm band for my phone.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    i am a free spirit, i use nothing..,
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    werthers hard candies
    iphone with my audiobook on it
    my pink socks
  • rduhlir
    http://www.runnersworld.com/shoes-gear-video

This is Runner's World 2013 preview of what shoes are coming out and what to expect when you go to the running store. Remember, always to be fitted properly for the shoe in which you are going to buy.
  • rduhlir
    Running Stroller Reviews
    http://www.runnersworld.com/other-gear/running-stroller-reviews

JoggersMay500x310.jpg

Having kids means less free time for activities like running, right? Well, not necessarily. Today's lightweight and easy-to-steer jogging strollers make it a breeze to take your child with you on a run. But not all strollers are created equal. To find out which models best suit your needs, we had six parents (and seven kids) test the latest models. These six standouts will help you get in your miles—even when a babysitter isn't available.

Budget Friendly

JoovyZoomjogger100x100.jpg

A solid jogging stroller doesn't have to break the bank. Case in point: the Joovy Zoom 360 ($269), which costs a fraction of what other models sell for, yet doesn't compromise on quality or design. But wait—there's more! A handlebar console and all-weather shield, items typically sold as optional accessories, are included. While it's not as lightweight as some pricier models, our testers report that the Zoom 360 is still easy to maneuver and has plenty of space underneath to stash toys.
    Caveats: Testers say it doesn't feel quite as stable as more expensive models.
    Tester's Take: "This tricked-out stroller rides and handles smoothly. And with such an affordable price, you really can't go wrong!"—Sarah Kjorstad, Helena, Montana

King of the Mountain

BobRevolutionSE100x100.jpg

Designed to handle both roads and trails, the Bob Revolution SE ($449) is a great stroller for parents who like to get off the pavement. The front wheel can swivel or be locked in place, so you can use this model for hiking, running, and casual strolling. Bonus: The seat reclines almost fully so your run isn't interrupted when your little one gets sleepy.
    Caveats: The short sun canopy doesn't fully block the sun. And a drink holder, which you'd want for a long run, costs extra.
    Tester's Take: "Most strollers don't handle the mix of dirty trails and paved bike paths. I love the Bob Revolution because it pushes easily on both."—Jen Bigham, Rochester, New York

Speedster

PhilTedsSub100x100.jpg

Want to go fast? The Phil + Ted's Sub 4 ($899) is an ideal choice for tempo and fartlek runs. Testers comfortably turned in sub-six-minute miles thanks to the aerodynamic, lightweight design. The front wheel is locked in place, and disc brakes help you maintain control at high speeds.
    Caveats: This stroller doesn't fold compactly, which may be an issue for apartment dwellers. Also, it's designed strictly for running, so you'll want another stroller for everyday use.
    Tester's Take: "Looks stealthy fast and has very little rolling resistance. It's very responsive to turning and easy to guide on trails or pavement."—Ivan O'Gorman, Boulder, Colorado

Tall and Small

MtnBuggyTerrain100x100.jpg

One of the only strollers to be green-lighted for newborns, the Mountain Buggy Terrain ($499) is also suitable for parents of all sizes, thanks to a handlebar that easily adjusts up and down. Testers liked the center-mounted hand brake, which gives extra control on steep descents. Bonus: The gear tray is big enough to store all of your (and baby's) extra gear.
    Caveats: Testers say that the retaining straps to adjust the seat angle can be tricky to use.
    Tester's Take: "The adjustable handlebar is brilliant; my husband likes to run with it low while I prefer it up higher."—AnneMarie Copley, Boulder

[/b]Multisport[/b]

ChariotCougarjogger100x100.jpg

So you're not just a runner? The Chariot Cougar 1 ($585) comes with a strolling kit and can be equipped with optional attachments for biking, hiking, and even, Chariot says, cross-country skiing. The running unit has a fixed front wheel for easier control at speed. Testers liked the stroller's pod design, which protects your baby from nasty weather while remaining roomy.
    Caveats: Because of its design for safe use during all activities, this model doesn't recline.
    Tester's Take: "As a triathlete, I love the versatility of the Chariot. The running and bike attachments are essential in my training."—Nikki Butterfield, Boulder

On the Double

InStepSafarijogger100x100.jpg

The inline design of the InStep Safari Double Tandem Jogger ($296) comfortably accommodates two kids without the sidewalk-hogging bulk of traditional, side-by-side double strollers. Its narrow design also makes for easy passage through tight doorways. Our little testers liked the seating arrangement—the rear seat is elevated, allowing a view over the front canopy. An adapter bar is included for use with most car seats.
    Caveats: The stroller is heavy, so it requires some effort to get in and out of a car trunk. Testers say it can be cumbersome to maneuver and feels "wobbly" at high speeds.
    Tester's Take: "It was nice to feel like I wasn't taking up the entire path. And my girls like being able to interact with each other."—Kate Davis, Boulder
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    i am a free spirit, i use nothing..,

Not even clothing?
  • rduhlir
    Race Day Checklist:
    Taken partly from Runner's World List

1. Baseball cap and/or sunglasses - These are a must. The ball cap protects you from sun burn and can deflect rain. The sunglasses help keep water out of your eyes and helps protect your eyes from sun burn (yes you can burn your eyes).
    2. Vest - Mainly for hot days or if running with traffic. And makes you feel like a pro racer.
    3. Bib number - Use all four pins, or else it could start flopping around. Do not forget this. Most races do not have a replacement, and if you lose it you won't be able to get offical times.
    4. Digital Stopwatch: Incase you are wanting to keep an eye on your times.
    5. Emergency Cash: $20 (no more than that) in case you have an emergency that needs attending (females you understand me). Pin it to the inside of your shirt or shorts, or put it in a secure pocket.
    6. Cotton gloves: Mainly for cold weather running. They keep hands warm, but also breath so they don't get too sweaty.
    7. Throwaway shirt and or poncho: The shirts keep you warm, something you don't mind getting dirty. You ditch it at the start of the race.
    8. Running shorts: Nothing new, your favorite pair of comfy, cool looking shorts. I like ones that say, "Look at me!"
    9. Socks: NO COTTON.
    10. Running Shoes: Nothing new!
    11. Timing Chip: These are often times on the back side of your bibs, but some races still do timing chips. Fasten them do your shoe with the tie that is provided.
    12. Car Key: Lace into shoe that doesn't have time chip or put in a secure pocket. Or do what I do and just make your SO hold it.
    13. Sunscreen: Especially for mid day runs. I find the spray ones the best bet for running now a days. It is quick to apply and helps keep you protected from the sun's rays.
    14. Vaseline or Sports Lubricant: Apply to inner thighs, armpits, and any where you chafe.
    15. Toilet Paper: In case porta potties are empty...again make your SO hold this one.
  • likitisplit
    A couple Runner's World gear tips: unmedicated chapstick makes a nice, portable lubricant in a race. And you can pin a snack sized baggie to the inside of your shorts for snacks or other things that might not fit into the itty bitty pocket in your technical gear.
  • rduhlir
    Choose the Right Running Socks
    A good pair can mean the difference between a blissful run and painful blisters. Here are 11 that stood out from more than 40 pairs we tested.
    By Jeff Dengate
    Published February 19, 2013

happyfeetmar500x310.jpg

SOFTEST

wrightsockstridemar100x100.jpg

Wrightsock Stride($13)
    Testers loved the Stride's silky feel. That's thanks to two independent layers that are stitched together at the toe and collar, as if you were wearing two socks, to reduce friction without adding bulk.
    wrightsock.com

BEST IN WINTER

falkerustabilizermar100x100.jpg

Falke RU Stabilizer ($28)
    With its high, over-the-ankle cut, the RU Stabilizer bridges any gap between your pant leg and shoe. Testers liked the sensation of extra foot and ankle support that the tight-fitting sock offers.
    falke.com

BEST FIT

brooksinfinitidoublemesh100.jpg

Brooks Infiniti Double Tab Mesh ($15)
    An anatomical cut—there's a left and right sock—allows the Infiniti Double Tab Mesh to more closely hug the contours of your feet. Padded strips protect the top of the foot and the joint at the base of the big toe.
    brooksrunning.com

RACE

nbtechnicalelitemar100x100.jpg

New Balance Technical Elite NBx ($12)
    Small diamond-shaped cushions in the forefoot and heel of the "ultra-thin mesh ventilation" model soften your landing without any of the added weight or bulk of thicker socks, making these an ideal choice for going fast. The arch wraps tighter than most, to keep the sock from slipping, even at a quick pace.
    newbalance.com

FOR THE LONG RUN

smartwoolrunminimar100.jpg

Smartwool PhD Run Ultralight Mini ($16)
    This extremely thin merino-and-nylon model proved to be durable over many miles, in part because of extra wool in the toes and heel. "They held their shape well throughout long runs of 10 to 12 miles and speedwork," says one tester. Elastic bands wrap the arch and ankle to keep the sock firmly in place.
    smartwool.com

ODOR BEATERS

feeturesnoshowtabmar100.jpg

Feetures! Elite Merino+ Ultralight No Show Tab ($15)
    Fine merino wool and smooth rayon make these socks soft—and slippery, say some testers, though the condition improved after a few washings. The natural antimicrobial properties of wool mean these won't stink up your gym bag. "I wish they would reproduce in my sock drawer so I could own more of them," says one tester.
    feeturesbrand.com

SNUGGEST

swiftwickvibezeromar100.jpg

Swiftwick Vibe Zero ($13)

With its stretchy top and slightly thicker bottom, the Vibe was largely praised by our wear-testers for its snug-but-not-suffocating feel on the foot. The sock is totally seam-free, a good thing given how tightly the fabric hugs your foot. The "Zero" cut "is perfect, just below the ankle," says one tester, and a spandex cuff keeps it from sliding.
    swiftwick.com

BEST FOR WOMEN

balegaultralightmar100.jpg

Balega Ultra Light No Show ($12)
    Women runners in particular loved the added cushioning in the heel and toe that gives this sock a slightly plush feel despite its light weight. And the slim cut stays put even on runners with narrow heels. "There's a little roll at the back of the sock," says one tester, "which kept the sock from slipping into my shoe."
    balega.com

BEST CUSHIONING

thorloexperiamerinomar100.jpg

Thorlo Experia Merino Wool/Silk ($18)
    Beefy socks lead to sweltering feet. But the ankle-length Experia has gobs of padding in the heel and forefoot, yet feels breezy on even the hottest days thanks to a silky mesh midfoot. A drawback: frosty feet in colder conditions. "The air on my foot felt like cold water," says one runner who tested these in wintry weather.
    thorlo.com

FOUR SEASONS

drymaxrunninglitetabmar100.jpg

Drymax Running Lite Mesh No Show Tab ($9)
    How dry do these socks keep your feet? One tester claims they helped relieve the itching caused by her athlete's foot infection. Credit that in part to the mesh top and extra breathability in the spandex arch band. Even so, testers found the sock thick enough to be worn comfortably when the weather turned cold.
    drymaxsocks.com

BEST BLISTER PROTECTION

injinjiperformancetrailmar100.jpg

Injinji Performance 2.0 Trail ($15)
    While they may look strange—"my wife laughed at me," laments one tester—these socks isolate each toe to eliminate nearly all friction and prevent blisters on even the longest of runs. Getting your feet into them, however, can be a serious test of endurance, especially for those of us with crooked digits.
    injinji.com

BARELY THERE

wigwam-venti-pro-socks-100.jpg

Wigwam Venti Pro ($12)
    This super-lightweight acrylic sock is thin enough that you can still feel the ground, which testers in minimal shoes appreciated. The thin fabric and open mesh top help the sock dry faster, decreasing your risk of blisters. Chitosan, found in the shells of crabs, is integrated into the fibers to fight odor.
    wigwam.com

FOR HEAVY SWEATERS

powersox-advanced-dry-100.jpg

PowerSox Advanced Dry ($11 for 2 pairs)
    Moisture is one of the biggest causes of blisters, but that's no problem here thanks to a breezy mesh that spans toe-to-ankle. Under the foot, there’s plenty of material for a comfortable ride. "The cushioning in the toes and heel is generous enough to keep the foot warm and shielded,” says one tester. Not too shabby for one of the most affordable running socks we’ve tried.
    powersox.com

OFF-ROAD

hilly-trail-anklet-100.jpg

Hilly Trail Anklet ($16)
    We don't often recommend cotton, but wear-testers loved the Trail Anklet. "I was disappointed whenever they were in the wash,” says one tester. The inside of the sock is spun of polypropylene yarn, with just a thin layer of cotton on the outside, so moisture is quickly moved away from the foot. Silver fibers are woven into the fabric to keep odors at a minimum.
    hillyclothing.co.uk

MOST DURABLE

darn-tough-no-show-cushion-100.jpg

Darn Tough Run/Bike No Show Cushion ($14)
    The name says it all: these are built to last. One tester wore them in a Tough Mudder—both runner and the socks survived. The Merino wool bottom is padded and further reinforced in the heel and toe to withstand mile after mile on the roads. Nylon and spandex in the top give just enough stretch to hold the socks firmly in place and offer some breathability.
    darntough.com

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-apparel/choose-right-running-socks
  • likitisplit
    I'm such a sock junkie...building up a Feetures collection. But I might have to try out those New Balance ones.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    1. My Mizuno Wave Rider 16's.
    2. Zensah Compression Sleeves for my Calves
    3. My 5k 101 app, but I only have two more runs before I graduate and need a new app
    4. Great music!
    5. My pink lace Aerie Sports Bra.
  • rduhlir
    Best Undies for Runners
    By Jeff Dengate
    Published January 7, 2013
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-apparel/best-undies-running

MEN

1. For a tight squeeze...
    cwxlitefit100x100.jpg
    At first glance, testers questioned the horizontal fly on the breathable CW-X Litefit Boxer Brief ($35)--or the need for a fly at all. But in the end, they forgot it was even there.

+ The fit is tight yet comfortable, thanks to a design that offers light support.
    - Some testers felt that the wide waistband was a little too tight.

2. For full-frontal protection...
    brooksthermal100x100.jpg
    Winter weather can slice through all but the hardiest pants. But it won't pierce the windproof panel on the surprisingly soft Brooks Thermal Wind Boxer ($35).

+ Brushed-fabric interior and long cut provide insulation almost to the knee.
    - "Thermal" is right; these undies are too warm for anything but freezing conditions.

3. For the super-sweaty...
    craftbrief100x100.jpg
    "Breezy" best describes the Craft Cool Brief with Mesh ($25). Breathable panels on the sides offer excellent ventilation, even indoors on the treadmill or in warm weather.

+ High-cut leg openings allow total freedom of movement.
    - To avoid the tighty-whitie look, opt for the black version.

4. For the distance junkie...
    asxboxers100x100.jpg
    Banish the burn on your next long run with the Asics ASX Boxer Brief ($25). The three-inch inseam is short enough so it doesn't bunch up, but long enough to stop skin-on-skin friction.

+ Stretchy panels snugly hold everything in place without being restrictive.
    - The tight fit led our testers to feel that the shorts run a bit small.

5. For those bitter-cold mornings...
    ibexbalance100x100.jpg
    The Ibex Balance Boxer Short ($50) is like a warm embrace on a cold day. Extremely thin and soft merino wool is blended with Lycra for a snug fit that hugs your body while you run.

+ Tightly stitched yarn adds support while eliminating any irritating seams.
    - The five-inch inseam offers extra coverage, but the legs tend to ride up.

WOMEN'S

1. For the young at heart...
    lululemonpink100x100.jpg
    Look closely and you'll see that the Lululemon Premium Technikini ($18) is printed with inspirational phrases to add a touch of fun to an otherwise utilitarian piece of running gear.

+ The extra-wide and smooth waistband earned high marks from our testers.
    - Stitching at the leg openings can dig into your backside when you're sitting down.

2. For the four-season runner...
    icebreakerpace100x100.jpg
    Made of merino wool and Lycra, the Icebreaker 200 Lightweight Pace Brief ($40) is comfy against the skin, yet stretchy.

+ This pair breathes well in hot weather, but the temperature-regulating properties of wool keep you warm on cold days.
    - Some testers felt the gray-on-charcoal color scheme is a bit dull.

3. For the environmentalist...
    patagoniahipster100x100.jpg
    Testers loved how the Patagonia Active Hipster ($20) wicked moisture on hot runs. Bonus: It's made of recycled polyester blended with spandex.

+ Despite a low-riding fit, the waistband is extra-wide and comfortable.
    - No matter how many miles they ran, our testers couldn't find anything about the Hipster that rubbed them the wrong way.

4. For women in tights...
    workoutbikini100x100.jpg
    The Moving Comfort Workout Bikini ($16) may look skimpy, but our wear-testers found it stood up to the task. A generous mesh panel on the back makes this pair highly breathable.

+ Seam-free edges at the leg openings eliminate panty lines, even under compression shorts and tights.
    - None here. Our testers loved 'em.

5. For those "deep freeze" runs...
    thermalboyshorts100x100.jpg
    The Brooks Thermal Boy Short ($35) is an ideal base layer for winter runs. Its brushed interior is soft against the skin and provides insulation to keep you warm on the coldest days.

+ Compression panels offer mild, but not tight, support while running.
    - Testers found these too warm for running on anything but frigid days.
  • rduhlir
    Help! I have so many race shirts I dont' know what to do with them!

Turn them into quilts!

boschee.jpg

http://t-shirt-quilts.com/

But what about all these bibs!

Turn them into coasters!

tri-bibcoaster-2T.jpg

http://www.goneforarun.com/Race_Bib_Coasters_s/979.htm

And the medals?

That's easy...display them!

tr-01808-2T.jpg

http://www.goneforarun.com/Race_Medal_Hanger_I_Did_It_p/tr-01808.htm
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Nike+ running app for my iphone

Surprisingly, the green panasonic earbuds that I bought on Amazon for dirt cheap. They don't fall out when I'm running and they're the most comfortable earbuds I've had (considering I paid less than $10)

Merrell bare access arc 2 (longest shoe name..... ever). I never want to run in anything different. Ever.

Also, arm band for my phone.

iPhone, NIke + running app, & the cheapie Panasonics here as well (mine are pink). I love the Nike + app because it keeps me accountable, and it logs all my runs so I can look back and see my progress. The earbuds because they are the first to stay in and don't have me running with my hands over my ears to keep the iPhone ones in. The sounds isn't great, but I am getting used to it.

My Armpocket, or really any arm band or pocket for my phone.

And running crops, I never thought I would be seen in a pair, but I guess I don't care what people think anymore now that I am pushing 40.

Most importantly, sunscreen.
  • rduhlir
    Because someone mentioned it :laugh:

Sunscreen
    What kind is best for running?

Here we going to list the top 5 things to look for when choosing a sunscreen. And yes these matter, and why will be explained. So here we go:

1. High SPF

Sun protection factor (SPF) is the key component of an effective sunscreen. SPF refers to the amount of protection the sunscreen will give you, or how much longer you can spend outdoors before you get sunburned compared to if you weren't wearing sunscreen.

Here's how SPF works:
    Say you normally can stay outside in the sun for 20 minutes without burning. If you slather on an SPF 15 sunscreen, you can stay outside for 15 times longer -- about five hours -- before burning. The higher the SPF, the greater the protection the sunscreen provides. An SPF 15 sunscreen blocks 93 percent of UVB rays, an SPF 30 blocks 97 percent, and an SPF 50 blocks 98 percent. The SPF of a sunscreen only relates to UVB rays -- there currently is no rating system for UVA protection, but it's in the works.

It would seem logical that an SPF 30 sunscreen would be twice as effective as an SPF 15 sunscreen, and an SPF 100 would be six times more effective, but that's not really how it works. Although a higher SPF sunscreen will protect you slightly better, the numbers game in sunscreens is mostly marketing (in fact, the Food and Drug Administration has proposed capping the SPF at 50+). Dermatologists say you're fine using an SPF 30 or SPF 45, but just make sure to reapply the sunscreen every two hours or so [source: WebMD]. If your skin is starting to take on a reddish tinge, reapply sooner.

2. Broad Spectrum Protection

The best sunscreens protect against both ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) rays. UVA rays penetrate more deeply into the dermis -- the deepest layer of your skin. These rays not only can age your skin prematurely, but they can make it more difficult for your immune system to protect you from cancer. UVB rays don't penetrate as deeply but they are what cause your skin to burn. Both UVA and UVB rays contribute to premature aging, freckles, age spots and wrinkles. Too much exposure to both of these types of ultraviolet rays can increase your skin cancer risk.

When choosing a sunscreen, look for labels that indicate that the brand has broad-spectrum (UVA and UVB) coverage, and look for a combination of these ingredients:

Block UVA rays:
    Oxybenzone
    Avobenzone (Parsol 1789)
    Mexoryl
    Ecamsule

Block UVB rays:
    Padimate O
    Homosalate
    Octyl methoxycinnamate
    Benzophenone
    Octyl salicytate
    Phenylbenzimidazole sulfonic acid
    Octocrylene
    Aminobenzoic acid (PABA)
    Cinoxate

Block both UVA and UVB rays:
    Titanium dioxide
    Zinc oxide

3. No Sweat

The last thing you want in the middle of a run is to have your sunscreen drip into your eyes. (If you've ever had sunscreen in your eyes, you know how much it burns.) Look for a sunscreen that's labeled "water-resistant" or "sweat-resistant," like Coppertone Sport Ultra Sweatproof, Hawaiian Tropic Ozone Sport Sunblock, or Banana Boat UltraMist Sport Performance Continuous Spray. A water-resistant sunscreen will maintain its SPF for as long as 40 minutes underwater (unless you rub it off).

Even though you may still see sunscreens labeled "waterproof," there really isn't any such thing. No sunscreen can be entirely waterproof, because all of them will eventually wear off if you submerge your body in water for long enough. Water-resistant is the more accurate label. No matter how water- or sweat-resistant your sunscreen is, you'll need to reapply it about every two hours, and sooner if you're sweating a lot [source: Skin Cancer Foundation].

4. Seal of Approval

Why waste your time comparing brands in the aisle of your local drugstore, when a few reputable organizations have already done the work for you? Look for sunscreen brands that carry these seals of approval:

The Skin Cancer Foundation Seal of Recommendation: This seal is given to products that help prevent "sun-induced damage to the skin" [source: Skin Cancer Foundation].

Sport sunscreens that get the Skin Cancer Foundation's approval include:
    >>Banana Boat UltraMist Sport Performance Continuous Spray Sunblock SPF 30
    >>Coppertone SPORT Sunscreen Stick SPF 30
    >>Hawaiian Tropic Sport SPF 45
    >>NO-AD Sport SPF 50 Active Sunblock Lotion
    >>Ocean Potion Oil Free Sport Xtreme Sunblock SPF 30
    >>Rite Aid SPF 30 Sport Continuous Spray

For a full list, visit the Skin Cancer Foundation's list of recommendations.

The American Academy of Dermatology has its own SEAL OF RECOGNITION that it grants to dermatologist-approved sunscreens with proven sun-protection benefits. These sunscreens include:
    >>AVEENO Continuous Protection Sunblock SPF 55
    >>Mederma Cream plus SPF 30

For a full list, visit of the American Academy of Dermatology's list of recommendations.

5. Easy to Use

Sunscreens come in different varieties: lotions, creams, sticks and sprays. Choose the one that's easiest for you to apply, especially one that's easy to reapply when you're in the middle of a game on the field, court or green. Sometimes a spray may seem easiest, but if it's windy outside you may find that more sunscreen blows away than ends up on your body.
    Don't forget the accessories, like sunscreen lip balm to protect your sensitive lips. ChapStick Ultra SPF 30 and Hawaiian Tropic Aloe Vera Sunscreen Lip Balm 45+ are both options. Also consider using a sunscreen for your scalp (especially if you're thinning a bit on top).

Make sure the bottle you choose contains enough sunscreen to last you all day. You need to apply at least 1 ounce to get the full protection, and reapply it at least every two hours, especially if you're sweating a lot or toweling off. During a long outdoor game, expect to use up to half of an 8-ounce bottle of sunscreen. Studies show that most people use only half of the sunscreen they need [source: Skin Cancer Foundation]. When you skimp on the sunscreen, you exponentially decrease your sun protection. For example, applying half an ounce of SPF 70 sunscreen instead of the full ounce will give you an SPF of just 8.4 [source: Saint Louis].
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    After reading this, I think that I should get some more appropriate socks for my walk/runs. Thanks for that post!