eating disorders

bearkisses
bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
So, I was at a training on eating disorders today and learned quite a few interesting things.

As I have been familiar with mfp, and followed the whole community train of thought of what to do and what not to do, and watched individuals goals.

I realize that most of it would be considered disordered! Their case study showed the meal plan of what the client was eating daily, and I absolutely think that most people here at way less than that!

Also, I remember reading many female goals for their body fat to be well under 20%, yet supposedly you need 24% body fat to have regular normal menstruation.

It was just some food for thought, not to rely on mfp or its participants for all your info, insight, and motivation.

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    What training was it?

I dont have a huge knowledge in this area, but I suspect there will be several females jumping in to offer they have a body fat percentage under 24% and have normal menstruation.
  • bearkisses
    What training was it?

I dont have a huge knowledge in this area, but I suspect there will be several females jumping in to offer they have a body fat percentage under 24% and have normal menstruation.

it was held by a hospital's eating disorder clinic team

this source says that if you are eating enough cals to sustain, then even with low bf% you will have regular menses...http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark108.htm .

it was good to hear what the medical model had to say about 'abnormal' relationships with food though, way better than listening to a lot of those that think they are experts because they took a few crash courses in nutrition
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    So, I was at a training on eating disorders today and learned quite a few interesting things.

As I have been familiar with mfp, and followed the whole community train of thought of what to do and what not to do, and watched individuals goals.

I realize that most of it would be considered disordered! Their case study showed the meal plan of what the client was eating daily, and I absolutely think that most people here at way less than that!

Also, I remember reading many female goals for their body fat to be well under 20%, yet supposedly you need 24% body fat to have regular normal menstruation.

It was just some food for thought, not to rely on mfp or its participants for all your info, insight, and motivation.

My sisters both have low body fat as did my mom when she had me and they all had/ have regular periods. I think it is based on having enough calories to maintain.

Sister 5'10'' 125- she had two healthy babies at a low weight
    Sister 2 5'4'' 115
    Mom 5'4'' 115 when she had me
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member

What exactly is disordered about the eating plans of the people here?
  • bearkisses

so for example, the eating plans being around 1200 cals a day; not eating something for the sake of thinking it makes you fat (where more ordered thinking would be 'i don' t want to eat the cheesecake because i am watching my cholesterol/i don't like cheesecake because it tastes gross); the bodyfat percentage relationship to menses really stuck out to me, but I think it is based on the calorie thing after doing some quick reading; rituals with food like not eating after a certain time which i see so many on my friendslist even doing this; foodfasts to make up for high calorie days; perceiving something is a binge when really it isn't and it is just overeating...lots of little things stuck out to me. But it isn't just this site, it is everywhere/everyone. I was speaking to my colleagues after the training about how we see these behaviours in so many people. good to gather information from other places.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    I believe the accepted minimum for regular menstruation is 12%, not 24.

Although recommendations are to be at at least 18% when trying to conceive.
  • So, I was at a training on eating disorders today and learned quite a few interesting things.

so for example, the eating plans being around 1200 cals a day; not eating something for the sake of thinking it makes you fat (where more ordered thinking would be 'i don' t want to eat the cheesecake because i am watching my cholesterol/i don't like cheesecake because it tastes gross); the bodyfat percentage relationship to menses really stuck out to me, but I think it is based on the calorie thing after doing some quick reading; rituals with food like not eating after a certain time which i see so many on my friendslist even doing this; foodfasts to make up for high calorie days; perceiving something is a binge when really it isn't and it is just overeating...lots of little things stuck out to me. But it isn't just this site, it is everywhere/everyone. I was speaking to my colleagues after the training about how we see these behaviours in so many people. good to gather information from other places.

I wouldn't say these things are "disordered", just lack of knowledge really.
  • bearkisses

I wouldn't say these things are "disordered", just lack of knowledge really.

I agree totally, it is all semantics, the medical model when it comes to abnormality and psychiatric diagnoses is all a little skewed anyways.

For example, I hadn't reviewed the criteria for AN for quite a few years since I have been out of school. To my disbelief, if you have not missed a certain number of menses you technically can't be diagnosed with AN...but would be under EDNOS....which is all semantics in my opinion.
  • bearkisses
    I believe the accepted minimum for regular menstruation is 12%, not 24.

Although recommendations are to be at at least 18% when trying to conceive.

i doubt anyone would be regular with 12% bf....there has to be disruption! but it could be a caloric thing. who knows (answer:not i)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    oh no. here comes the menstruation fight again.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    I think the vast majority of women have some kind of disordered eating.

Yes, that's a sweeping generalization. Nonetheless, I stand by it.
  • bearkisses
    I think the vast majority of women have some kind of disordered eating.

Yes, that's a sweeping generalization. Nonetheless, I stand by it.

and more and more men
  • bearkisses

that is a fight that I think no one wants to be in...lol
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Ladies please, contain your uteruses (uteri?).
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    I completely agree with everything you said!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member

Oh really? I have 18% body fat and still have mine.
  • I used to have an eating disorder and I actually use MFP to keep myself on track. 2 and a half years without it now! :D
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member

Thanks for sharing, but also you might want to do a little more research and not rely on this "training" class. Half of what you posted is grossly incorrect. People who work in certain mental health fields sometimes have a tendency to project what they've learned on society in general. They think we are all "disordered" if we fall into a few of the criteria's they have determined to be classified as an illness.
  • one of the biggest struggles as an eating disordered person is learning all of this stuff about how to eat properly and how size isn't that important, etc etc, healthy eating patterns, healthy ways to view size and shape and eating... and then you get into the "real world" and realise that barely anyone is that "normal".
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    I think you have read MFP stuff wrongly. Just because one or two people are skewed doesn't mean the general info is wrong. No one tells you not to eat after a certain time, that is rubbish and not on the site, nor that cheesecake is evil. Moderation in all things. Nor that 1200 is the level to eat at. That would be if you did NOTHING all day. I eat at 1700 and still lose. I think the site is clear on all this. Just some ignorant people misinterpret despite good advice and have their own crazy agenda. It is NOT MFP.