eating disorders

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    I believe the accepted minimum for regular menstruation is 12%, not 24.

Although recommendations are to be at at least 18% when trying to conceive.

i doubt anyone would be regular with 12% bf....there has to be disruption! but it could be a caloric thing. who knows (answer:not i)

it is 12% and a lot of semi professional female athletes have that body fat. 24% would be waayyy too much. like im sure 24% would be considered over weigh

most people with eating disorders will eat less than 1200 calories, a lot quite a lot less than that.
    Keeping track of what goes into your body isnt disordered at all. Its kinda the same with you wouldnt buy something without seeing it first right?
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    I think that everyone has an eating disorder. Nutrition these days is something that a lot of people don't know very much about. Either people eat too much or they eat too little or they are on an extreme diet. I think partially to blame is media and the way people think women or men should look. Then turn around and the only advertisements we have are for weight loss pills or fast food places on tv and radio. I also think women no matter their size and bf% has funky menstrual cycles. I have never met a women who has them 100% on time. Even my friends who can generally tell by the hour when they should get theirs have a messed up cycled every now and then. ( not in an arguing standpoint just throwing my 2cents in.)
  • I believe the accepted minimum for regular menstruation is 12%, not 24.

i doubt anyone would be regular with 12% bf....there has to be disruption! but it could be a caloric thing. who knows (answer:not i)

it is 12% and a lot of semi professional female athletes have that body fat. 24% would be waayyy too much. like im sure 24% would be considered over weigh

most people with eating disorders will eat less than 1200 calories, a lot quite a lot less than that.
    Keeping track of what goes into your body isnt disordered at all. Its kinda the same with you wouldnt buy something without seeing it first right?

I wouldn't suggest making assumptions about what people with eating disorders do because then it sounds like you're saying someone who eats 1200 calories couldn't have an e.d. I know you said "most" not everyone, but anyway.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    It was just some food for thought, not to rely on mfp or its participants for all your info, insight, and motivation.

Thanks for sharing, but also you might want to do a little more research and not rely on this "training" class. Half of what you posted is grossly incorrect. People who work in certain mental health fields sometimes have a tendency to project what they've learned on society in general. They think we are all "disordered" if we fall into a few of the criteria's they have determined to be classified as an illness.

please read my other post as well...I was just relaying my experience in the training session.

Something I also learned...that (in my province anyway) there are no protected designations for nutiritonists, only dietitians. So it is a helpful reminder that just because someone took a crash course in something, doesn't make them an expert, on here, or anywhere, about food.
  • bearkisses

I wouldn't suggest making assumptions about what people with eating disorders do because then it sounds like you're saying someone who eats 1200 calories couldn't have an e.d. I know you said "most" not everyone, but anyway.

this. I am sure she is referring to AN, but you have to remember that eating disorders do take different forms. and eating 1200 cals is not even a part of that criteria...
  • bearkisses
    I think you have read MFP stuff wrongly. Just because one or two people are skewed doesn't mean the general info is wrong. No one tells you not to eat after a certain time, that is rubbish and not on the site, nor that cheesecake is evil. Moderation in all things. Nor that 1200 is the level to eat at. That would be if you did NOTHING all day. I eat at 1700 and still lose. I think the site is clear on all this. Just some ignorant people misinterpret despite good advice and have their own crazy agenda. It is NOT MFP.

when i say mfp...i am referencing the community. not the site. so no need to defend the site. lol.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    can of worms: OPENED
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member

Uh, did you just say 24% body fat is "overweight"?? Cuz if you did, you are really misinformed.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Before people start grabbing their pitch forks & nooses haha the OP was simply relaying information that was given to her.

I do think due to our ever growing society that even some professional opinions have become skewed though to what is the healthy norm.

Also, you make a good point to not just rely on ONE source but research is key
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I used to have an eating disorder and I actually use MFP to keep myself on track. 2 and a half years without it now! :D

Great win!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    I have over 24% body fat, and yet, I do not have regular menses.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member

Uh, did you just say 24% body fat is "overweight"?? Cuz if you did, you are really misinformed.

It is for a gymnast. Severly overweight.
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    So, I was at a training on eating disorders today and learned quite a few interesting things.

As I have been familiar with mfp, and followed the whole community train of thought of what to do and what not to do, and watched individuals goals.

I realize that most of it would be considered disordered! Their case study showed the meal plan of what the client was eating daily, and I absolutely think that most people here at way less than that!

Also, I remember reading many female goals for their body fat to be well under 20%, yet supposedly you need 24% body fat to have regular normal menstruation.

It was just some food for thought, not to rely on mfp or its participants for all your info, insight, and motivation.

My sisters both have low body fat as did my mom when she had me and they all had/ have regular periods. I think it is based on having enough calories to maintain.

Sister 5'10'' 125- she had two healthy babies at a low weight
    Sister 2 5'4'' 115
    Mom 5'4'' 115 when she had me

I don't mean to be rude but 115 at 5'4 isnt a very low weight, I'm 113 and 5'5 and I weighed less before I had my children
  • LauraRose03
    LauraRose03 Posts: 140
    Interesting responses!
  • LauraRose03
    LauraRose03 Posts: 140
    So, I was at a training on eating disorders today and learned quite a few interesting things.

As I have been familiar with mfp, and followed the whole community train of thought of what to do and what not to do, and watched individuals goals.

I realize that most of it would be considered disordered! Their case study showed the meal plan of what the client was eating daily, and I absolutely think that most people here at way less than that!

Also, I remember reading many female goals for their body fat to be well under 20%, yet supposedly you need 24% body fat to have regular normal menstruation.

My sisters both have low body fat as did my mom when she had me and they all had/ have regular periods. I think it is based on having enough calories to maintain.

Sister 2 5'4'' 115

I don't mean to be rude but 115 at 5'4 isnt a very low weight, I'm 113 and 5'5 and I weighed less before I had my children

WOW!!!! this may be me being "blonde" but is that how much they weighed at 9 months pregnan???!!! Wowowowow. I wish I was that weight now and I'm not preggers! lol
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Thank you!! 24% and under is considered healthy for women! at 5'9" and 152 lbs I have 23.9% bf. I may not be happy with my current shape but I am by no standard considered overweight! Check your sources please, this thread doesn't need any more open worm cans.

In fact some sources suggest that BMI levels considered to be within the "healthy" range START at 24.6% bf while below it is reserved for "underweight" classification or exceptions for athletes. This is a good one:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/95/3/594.full
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member

Sister 2 5'4'' 115

WOW!!!! this may be me being "blonde" but is that how much they weighed at 9 months pregnan???!!! Wowowowow. I wish I was that weight now and I'm not preggers! lol

If they weighed that much at 9months pregnant that is actually very low but I don't think thats what she meant, she was saying they were 5'4 and 115lbs and still getting menses, I was simply stating that 115lbs at 5'4 is a normal healthy weight so why wouldn't they get them.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member

It is for a gymnast. Severly overweight.

Furthermore, subjective evidence such as competition-based suggestions do not qualify as general distinctions for what is "overweight". You could also say that the average female bodybuilder is 12-14% at competition form. This, while not incorrect, does not provide a standard of "healthy" for the general public.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    OK, this whole eating disorder thing. I'm not sure why I'm bothering to type this because I know it'll upset me and I know it'll probably be either ignored/misconstrued.

- You don't need to be skinny to have anorexia. You can still have anorexia without being within the category, it's just not formally diagnosed in some cases. In fact, I know a girl who was over 200lbs who had anorexia, and ended up being 140lbs at 5ft 11. She existed on 300 calories a day and exercised for three hours. Her BMI, in which case, would be 19.2 - clinically healthy. Was she healthy? No, she was desperately ill, lost her periods and could barely function.

- Disordered eating comes in all forms - overeating, binging/purging, restrictive eating. An eating disorder, in my eyes, shouldn't be classified as a set of weights but rather a set of behaviour. If someone is binging on 3000 calories a day and purging four times - that's bulimia. I don't give a toss whether that person is 100lbs or 200lbs. It's an eating disorder.

- We are all DIFFERENT. If I weighed 120lbs, my lowest weight within my BMI scale, I would look skeletal. Another girl of my weight and height would look different. And another, different still. We can all shove ourselves in these categories of body fat, BMI, calorie counts but at the end of the day, we have to do what works for us - and when I say work for us, I mean in a HEALTHY and RESPONSIBLE way.

- Eating disorders on MFP. They exist. They always will - it's a free website/app that allows people to track their calories on the move. When I had disordered eating in my teens, this website would have been perfectly destructive for me. I have had friend requests from people who insist on eating under 1000 calories NET a day and boast about their exploits - skipping meals and eating chocolate bars, then complaining of no losses. I'm not going to judge them - I've been there and seen it all. I've done what they are doing. I try and help best I can, but ultimately, the decision is individual. If you want to starve yourself for maximum results (even though you really end up with minimal) - I can't stop you - you'll do it anyway until it doesn't work.

(My periods stopped in my teens at a body fat of around 25% and weight of 10 stone, which is near maximum for my height)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    I wouldn't go by any case study claiming that 24% is essential for menses. Furthermore, disruption of LH pulsatility and ovarian function has more to do with insufficient energy availability (net calories) than amount of body fat. Think of it as the chicken vs the egg whereby insufficient energy availability comes first.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/1/297.full