HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    tumblr_mek5w7nbpL1ra4tnt_zps88547198.gif

You look incredible! The rest of us heavy lifting 'BULKY OMGZ' women salute you! :drinker:

^couldn't have said it better. :P
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    SQUAT, BEEP!!! (rhymes with witch)

33110506_7732.jpg
    33110506_3110.jpg
    33110506_7742.jpg

6e166584-3a53-457e-aafd-a01c5eb46936_zpscdae92ed.jpg
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    I LOVE how your waist went so tiny!!! AWESOME job all around, including lifting!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    SQUAT, BEEP!!! (rhymes with witch)

33110506_7732.jpg
    33110506_3110.jpg
    33110506_7742.jpg
    6e166584-3a53-457e-aafd-a01c5eb46936_zpscdae92ed.jpg

:heart:
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Wow I love all these pics and how amazing you can look from lifting. Thank you for sharing!

I have been increasing weights for a year, but for women how much do you lift/increase on various machines??? I know everybody is different, but ballpark. FYI I am meeting with a trainer next week, but I never know if I am doing enough/too much.

I've got a lot to lose, but oddly over the last year or two even though I haven't had a dramatic weight loss or even INCHES I look different/better. WTH?? :huh:

Speak with your trainer about getting off of the machines and doing compound lifts. Machines isolate muscle groups but compound lifts with free weights enable your body to function exactly the way it is designed to - - rather than in the one or two degrees of freedom than the engineer's designed the machines to isolate.
    This.

I second the This! Compound moves make a big difference and will get you to where you want to be more efficiently IMO.

My profile has some befores and afters but not great ones. I owe all of my changes to a healthy diet and lifting!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Lea, you look ABSOLUTELY AMAZING & I will die a happy woman if I can get my body to look even half as good as yours! I know weight lifting is the way to do it and I'm not seeing a ton of results yet, but I AM feeling a lot stronger, so I am definitely going to keep it up! Thanks for being my friend and showing us all that we CAN DO THIS!!!! :heart:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    BAH..i was trying to shrink that monster huge photo before it got quoted:grumble:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    I second the This! Compound moves make a big difference and will get you to where you want to be more efficiently IMO.

My profile has some befores and afters but not great ones. I owe all of my changes to a healthy diet and lifting!

Work your whole body!
    BBFullSquat.gifBBDeadlift.gifBBMilitaryPressBentLeg.gif
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Good job!!

Mine is a combination of cardio, lifting, carrying babies (well, 3 kiddos), and many, many pushpus.

New_front_compare_zps7a3a58e9.jpg

Scary bulky, right?!? Rarr....
    042113_muscle1_zps3bb92fdd.jpg

Damn your a bulky mom! I kid, I kid. Awesome job!!!!
    tumblr_mblmtaAkOk1r9jhwp_zps63985432.gif
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Damn gurl! Looking good.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Everyone looks amazing!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    BAH..i was trying to shrink that monster huge photo before it got quoted:grumble:

But your a** and tiny waste look sooo good. :)
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Thanks! I never realized how weak I was before. It's a good thing to be strong and have strong muscles. Rarr! Plus it helps you burn calories even after a strength training session. My goal now would be to continue to up my resistance and push myself even more. It's weird when suddenly a certain weight (setting on the pin in the stack) doesn't feel that heavy anymore. It's crazy how the strength seems to increase suddenly even within a few days or a week!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Love....just...love. Lot's o' love.

You ladies are all an inspiration. And by inspiration I mean that I need to work harder because I can't have a girl beat me up kinda inspiration.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    It's crazy how the strength seems to increase suddenly even within a few days or a week!

You do actually. As you exercise, you create thousands of micro tears in your muscles, and the rest days in between patch those tears up. That means more muscle tissue. More muscle tissue = more strength.
  • tmitchellh
    tmitchellh Posts: 20 Member
    Wow I love all these pics and how amazing you can look from lifting. Thank you for sharing!

I have been increasing weights for a year, but for women how much do you lift/increase on various machines??? I know everybody is different, but ballpark. FYI I am meeting with a trainer next week, but I never know if I am doing enough/too much.

I've got a lot to lose, but oddly over the last year or two even though I haven't had a dramatic weight loss or even INCHES I look different/better. WTH?? :huh:

Speak with your trainer about getting off of the machines and doing compound lifts. Machines isolate muscle groups but compound lifts with free weights enable your body to function exactly the way it is designed to - - rather than in the one or two degrees of freedom than the engineer's designed the machines to isolate.

Thanks, what about (excuse me for not knowing the correct name lol) the machines that are cabled? It seems like I can get a lot of ROM on those? I also work at a hospital and closely with a group of radiologists so I've been chatting with one of the docs who is very into lifting about things to try as well. He totally agrees that one will never lose weight unless you replace fat with muscle, not by dieting or exercising (alone), only by weight lifting and smart eating.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    WOWWWW~~~!!!! How does one get started with a lifting program? I see things on the internet of course but have no idea how to do the exercises because they have names only, what weights are required, etc. Anyone point me in the right direction???? Do I have to buy a program or are there free workouts online? Looks like Stronglifts 5 x 5 requires a membership? 5/3/1 talks about weight lifting like I should know what they mean. :(

I was in the same stage as you are now before I started lifting. I knew what workouts to do but didn't know HOW to do them, I was afraid of looking stupid. I highly recommend stronglifts. It does not require a membership, you don't have to pay anything. If you want to read the PDF file they send you telling you all about the program then you just put your email into their list and they send it to you (it's very long and kinda boring TBH). If you don't want to do that, a quick internet search will tell you what you need to do and there is tons of threads on here explaining the workouts. It's really very simple. There's also a 'stronglifts 5x5 for women' group on here that you can join too. You can then research proper form for the lifts or have someone with more experience help you if you go to a gym.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!