HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Thank you for posting. You ladies are STUNNING!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Wow I love all these pics and how amazing you can look from lifting. Thank you for sharing!

I have been increasing weights for a year, but for women how much do you lift/increase on various machines??? I know everybody is different, but ballpark. FYI I am meeting with a trainer next week, but I never know if I am doing enough/too much.

I've got a lot to lose, but oddly over the last year or two even though I haven't had a dramatic weight loss or even INCHES I look different/better. WTH?? :huh:

Also, i just wanted to mention I started at 40, so anyone out there can do this at any age!

I am not a fan of machines...compound lifts are your friend and give the most BANG for your buck!

Ask the trainer about this: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

31_2.jpg

1311451195636551717012846.gif?t=1311452966

tumblr_mi2ud72e931qet17vo1_400.gif

weight-lifting-for-women-51.jpg
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Thank you very much. It is definitely overwhelming to try to get started - I do not belong to a gym. I appreciate your advice!!
    WOWWWW~~~!!!! How does one get started with a lifting program? I see things on the internet of course but have no idea how to do the exercises because they have names only, what weights are required, etc. Anyone point me in the right direction???? Do I have to buy a program or are there free workouts online? Looks like Stronglifts 5 x 5 requires a membership? 5/3/1 talks about weight lifting like I should know what they mean. :(

I was in the same stage as you are now before I started lifting. I knew what workouts to do but didn't know HOW to do them, I was afraid of looking stupid. I highly recommend stronglifts. It does not require a membership, you don't have to pay anything. If you want to read the PDF file they send you telling you all about the program then you just put your email into their list and they send it to you (it's very long and kinda boring TBH). If you don't want to do that, a quick internet search will tell you what you need to do and there is tons of threads on here explaining the workouts. It's really very simple. There's also a 'stronglifts 5x5 for women' group on here that you can join too. You can then research proper form for the lifts or have someone with more experience help you if you go to a gym.
  • pecantan09
    pecantan09 Posts: 27 Member
    Nice job and way to kill the myth about heavy lifting!!!!
  • Same here!

Dang slim you look great in those profile photos yourself - incidentally you also look like you could be Leaky's sister.

Thanks! You never know, my dad got around. LOL Just kidding!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Thanks, what about (excuse me for not knowing the correct name lol) the machines that are cabled? It seems like I can get a lot of ROM on those? I also work at a hospital and closely with a group of radiologists so I've been chatting with one of the docs who is very into lifting about things to try as well. He totally agrees that one will never lose weight unless you replace fat with muscle, not by dieting or exercising (alone), only by weight lifting and smart eating
    I think those have their place and I use them for things like lat pulldowns and tricep pushdowns but for the core compound moves (squats, deadlifts, over head press, rows and chest press), the best is free weights. Get under that barbell!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Oh look, heavy lifting made me bulky, too!

No heavy lifting, after losing 23 lbs:
    S63oBzv.jpg

One month of heavy lifting, 5/3/1 program
    The weight difference from the first to second photo is one pound.

mkGUqeL.jpg

6hxI1X9.jpg

1 pound!! That is just amazing!
  • tmitchellh
    tmitchellh Posts: 20 Member
    :laugh:
    Wow I love all these pics and how amazing you can look from lifting. Thank you for sharing!

I have been increasing weights for a year, but for women how much do you lift/increase on various machines??? I know everybody is different, but ballpark. FYI I am meeting with a trainer next week, but I never know if I am doing enough/too much.

I've got a lot to lose, but oddly over the last year or two even though I haven't had a dramatic weight loss or even INCHES I look different/better. WTH?? :huh:

Also, i just wanted to mention I started at 40, so anyone out there can do this at any age!

I am not a fan of machines...compound lifts are your friend and give the most BANG for your buck!

Ask the trainer about this: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

31_2.jpg

1311451195636551717012846.gif?t=1311452966

tumblr_mi2ud72e931qet17vo1_400.gif

weight-lifting-for-women-51.jpg

THANKS! Actually we just got this getfit tool at work where it lets you create your own workout calendar by goals so I put fat loss/gain muscle/strength training and voila it gave me a work out each day using a lot of free weights and only like one machine so I can use that along with whatever the trainer gives me. I'm going to take a gross disgusting before picture before I start this new regime. I'm kind of glad I didn't do this a couple years ago (the picture) because if its bad now it was horrible then
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    SQUAT, BEEP!!! (rhymes with witch)

33110506_7732.jpg
    33110506_3110.jpg
    33110506_7742.jpg

6e166584-3a53-457e-aafd-a01c5eb46936_zpscdae92ed.jpg

They need to have a jaw drop smily. You look amazing!
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    WOW!!!! You look Awesome!!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Well done ladies. You all look amazing.

2yllfzo_zps01d54e61.gif
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Oh look, heavy lifting made me bulky, too!

No heavy lifting, after losing 23 lbs:
    S63oBzv.jpg

One month of heavy lifting, 5/3/1 program
    The weight difference from the first to second photo is one pound.

mkGUqeL.jpg

6hxI1X9.jpg

Damn, N.... you win the internet...
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Amazing! Keep it up girl!
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    You look absolutely amazing. Wow. Huge difference! :smile:
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    love LOVE L-O-V-E this thread. It's just what I was looking for today.

I'm doing SL5X5, but really just started. Doing Insanity, I dropped weight and inches consistently. But, I just can't sustain that kind of cardio 6 days a week. I wish I loved cardio/running, but I don't. I love lifting.

So, thank you all for taking the time to post your before and after to let me know to trust in the process because I was seriously thinking it wouldn't work for me (*special snowflake syndrome) or that I needed to cut calories more or some other previously held notion of how to achieve the body I want.

You all rock!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    You guys all look amazing! Excellent work.
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    You look amazing! Everyone who shared pictures looks amazing! Lifting heavy is sooooo worth it!
  • ltfletcher25
    ltfletcher25 Posts: 2 Member
    I am assuming you are working towards a competition. Great progress and yes lifting Heavy destroys fat as long as you are consistent with a good diet. This is good stuff. If you were to just lift light and easy with high reps you wouldnt have seen the results as fast as you did. Great Job.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!