5'6 Ladies: what's your goal weight?

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I'm 5'6" and 150 is my first goal. I'll reassess from there.

I weighed 150 in the past when I was in the best shape of my life. I was very strong and not overweight in any sense of the word, so whomever thinks that's "too high" should educate themselves about body composition.
  • Originally, I was aiming for what I weighed before I started an office job and stopped biking to work (my office manager was NOT okay with me coming in a sweaty mess): 115-120. However, after joining MFP and and reading a lot about weight lifting, I'm instead aiming to lose some inches and not focus on weight so much. I'd rather be fit and a little bit "heaver" than thin and still feeling out of shape. It'll be a lot of work but hopefully, I can fully commit and not half *kitten* it like I have been over the last six month :smile:
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    A 5' 6" woman, regardless of "frame", should weigh no more than 130 lbs. There is very little variation of muscle mass in woman unless they are into bodybuilding, and frame size only accounts for a few pounds one way or the other. Any goal over that is a consolation and a cop out.

This is BS. I am 5'5'' and weigh over a little over 130. I look fine in a bikini, and I looked fine in a bikini 10 pounds ago too. I know women my height and heavier than me, who look amazing in bikini's. No flab whatsoever.

I agree. I have a cousin who is 5'6'' and she weighs 145, even did during her teenage years, and she looks awesome no flab whatsoever. She rocks a string bikini too. She is very fit and strong though so that probably makes a difference.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    My only New Year resolution was to never read or respond to another thread entitled " insert height" ladies what is your goal weight. And YET ...here I am.

Not even 5'6. I have a 5'4 1/2 inch skeleton instead.

Not even here for the train wreck ...and indeed ...it's a train wreck. I'm here to represent to women that NUMBERS are arbitrary. People are people. Every human is different. Otherwise we'd be ... THE SAME. How boring.

I know it's tough to "get" but I will be at approx 20% BF and size 6 at 168-172. i currently wear size 8 jeans, medium tops.

The smallest size I'd ever worn in my adult life ( for about 35 minutes) was a size 10. i weighed 135.

2 years ago i weighed 238. size 18.

I discovered the barbell. I figured out that I needed to get my food right. Getting it right didn't mean giving food the power. The power to make me miserable. I took control. I eat. I eat well.

I am fit ( resting heart rate is 49) , sleek and yes toned. I can ROCK OUT whatever I choose.

'm pushing 50. Zero meds. Zero health issues. If I went for under 130 I'd have to lose SERIOUS LBM and be a very unattractive skeletal " old lady" in appearance. Last time I checked: NOT a great look. At least not for ME.

The point of this? Make your goals about something other than weight or a # on a chart. Go for Healthy. Go for Happy. Go for what makes YOU happy, healthy and totally FAB. I've found that happy and Fab isn't found in a NUMBER. Certainly isn't found in someone else's number. It's total package. Self confidence in your own skin: priceless . TOTAL PACKAGE is what folks see.
    Love you Jen!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    A 5' 6" woman, regardless of "frame", should weigh no more than 130 lbs. There is very little variation of muscle mass in woman unless they are into bodybuilding, and frame size only accounts for a few pounds one way or the other. Any goal over that is a consolation and a cop out.

Agreed! When I see really high goal weights on here, I find it rather puzzling.

LMFAO

<---- 5 6" and 157lb in that pic - sub 20% BF%. Are you saying I am overweight?

You tell 'em Sara!!

I'd take Sara's booby prize any day.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    I'm 5'6", and started out at 210 pounds. Currently down to 187. My first goal is to move from obese to overweight BMI, which is 185. My second goal is to move from overweight to normal BMI, which is 154. Ultimately, I would like to be 120 or so. I think that's attainable.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    I'm 5'5" - my goal weight is 125 or there abouts. I am using the mid weight of the BMI chart as a goal.
  • bbbrittingham
    bbbrittingham Posts: 7 Member
    I'm 5'6". I began dieting in early 2009 at 165 with a goal of 135. In 2 years, I got down to 140 and have maintained there for some time, with slight fluctuations up and down. Now that I am about 140, I think 130 would be a better goal for me than 135. However, I can't quite seem to get myself down into the 130's. It's as if I'm stalled at 140.

I think part of it is my build. I started this journey with DD's, and 25 lbs later - I still have DD's. No loss there at all (which I am bummed about - I hate my chest). I definitely have child birthing hips - that sort of thing. I'm happy that I am in the healthy BMI range, but damn - I would LOVE to eventually get down to 130!
  • rav_kathj
    rav_kathj Posts: 4 Member
    I'm 5ft 6.5 inches and currently 266lb( i think in stones though!) last time i felt healthy i was about 210, so thats my first target.. if i got down to 12 st (168) that would be lighter than i've been as an adult.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    I started at 190 and my original goal was 145. As I got closer I realized that I could still lose more. I got down to my lowest of 127 in February of 2013, but couldn't really maintain it. I'm currently closer to 135-137 after starting heavy lifting in January and my body seems to want to stay here. I wear a size 2/4 depending on the brand, so I really can't complain. It would be nice to get back down to 130, but I can't seem to maintain that weight.

During the month of May I'm not going to weigh myself and see what happens to my weight. As long as I can wear my clothes I'd like to stop worrying about the scale.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    First of all, I want to apologize to everybody in this thread who has a goal weight of over 130 lbs at 5'6". My first reaction was to agree with the original poster as many times I do think people pick goal weights that are too high and end up selling themselves short. However, I jumped the gun on this one though, and I am sorry. Many of you have lost a lot of weight and made many wonderful accomplishments. For me to undermine any of that was REALLY bad on my part - I'm truly am sorry so please accept my apologies.

However, those of you who now want to pick apart my own goal weight (which I've maintained now for two years btw) are full of rubbish too. I am at the tip top of my health both physically and mentally and feel awesome. Read my profile - I've never felt better. I LIFT HEAVY. I do cardio. I have a six pack. I eat at maintenance, which is roughly 2200 to 2300 calories a day. Wtf would I eat at a surplus? It's called maintenance for a reason. Thanks to those of you who stood up for me on that note. You guys are great!

We only have our own experience regarding weight loss to go by, which sometimes makes it difficult to understand when others goals are different from our own.

And you guys are right - the person who I initially jumped the gun by agreeing with is a 39 year old male. WTF does he know?!!?
    Glad to read this! I understand what you mean now, it just didn't come off the right way at first. A lot of times people know what they want to look like but don't really know what weight that is for them, so they set a benchmark goal weight and re-assess when they get there. When I first started, my goal was 135-125 but I'm 130 now and would still like to lose 10 or 15!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member

Agreed! When I see really high goal weights on here, I find it rather puzzling.

I'm 5'4 and my goal weight is still over 130 lbs. Oh but I have 112 lbs of lean body mass...which means I'd be 14% bf at 130lbs.

I WIN AT LIFE!!!!

ETA:I'd really like the username of the person who posted this comment saying that any goal over 130 lbs for a 5'6 woman is a "cop out"... pro ANA and otherwise ignorant crap on MFP is NOT cool with me.
  • I'm 5' 6'' and 167. My goal is 126.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    First of all, I want to apologize to everybody in this thread who has a goal weight of over 130 lbs at 5'6". My first reaction was to agree with the original poster as many times I do think people pick goal weights that are too high and end up selling themselves short. However, I jumped the gun on this one though, and I am sorry. Many of you have lost a lot of weight and made many wonderful accomplishments. For me to undermine any of that was REALLY bad on my part - I'm truly am sorry so please accept my apologies.

However, those of you who now want to pick apart my own goal weight (which I've maintained now for two years btw) are full of rubbish too. I am at the tip top of my health both physically and mentally and feel awesome. Read my profile - I've never felt better. I LIFT HEAVY. I do cardio. I have a six pack. I eat at maintenance, which is roughly 2200 to 2300 calories a day. Wtf would I eat at a surplus? It's called maintenance for a reason. Thanks to those of you who stood up for me on that note. You guys are great!

We only have our own experience regarding weight loss to go by, which sometimes makes it difficult to understand when others goals are different from our own.

And you guys are right - the person who I initially jumped the gun by agreeing with is a 39 year old male. WTF does he know?!!?
    Glad to read this! I understand what you mean now, it just didn't come off the right way at first. A lot of times people know what they want to look like but don't really know what weight that is for them, so they set a benchmark goal weight and re-assess when they get there. When I first started, my goal was 135-125 but I'm 130 now and would still like to lose 10 or 15!

And a lot of times 130lb is far too low - it depends on their LBM.

I am 5 6" and 157lb in my pic and about 20% BF%. I do not have 30lb to lose. My LBM is nearly 130lb alone.

[the poster made a comment when asked to clarify and she did say that she understood it in a subsequent post - I am just making this comment to be clear that 130lb is not always a good goal irrespective of whether it is an initial goal or not]
  • sjacks14
    sjacks14 Posts: 68 Member
    I'm about 5'5 - 5'6. My goal weight is 150. The last I checked I was about 147. I have to go shopping my size 6 pants are really big. I guess I'm probably in a size 4 now.
  • amy_lynn_522
    amy_lynn_522 Posts: 55 Member
    My goal weight is 160 so heavier than most posting. But I'm happy at 160, I like being a little fluffy, not just as much fluff as I have right now! :)
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    I am 5'6" and I weigh 129,size 3-4
  • I'm 5'6'' and I weigh 120lbs. I'm fairly muscular for my size so I wear size 2 womens and 3 juniors or a 25-26 in jeans depending on the brand, 0 in dresses. I think this is my ideal weight for my frame, if I exercise too much or eat healthier then I tend to drop to 118 and below which makes me look a little too thin.

My heaviest was 135 and I wore a size 6, and at 127 I was a size 4. My thinnest was 113 and I wore size 0. Everyone gains/loses weight in different places so I think people should worry about how the weight sits on their frame rather than the number. Too heavy and I get full thighs, too thin and my breasts shrink too small. It's all about striking that perfect balance that makes you feel comfortable and happy.
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    I'm about 5'6.5. I've gone from around 195 pounds to 138. I only want to lose a few more. Ideally I'd like to be 133 but a bit more muscly. I'm already getting to the point where, although I have bits of fat on my stomach, arms and thighs that need to go, I know I couldn't lose too much more. I have big hips and a really annoyingly big rib cage, so ribs stick out already. Don't think my frame would allow me to go much below about 133 without looking weird.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    I'm 5'6" and 120 pounds currently and want to get down to 112 :smile: