Alli - Anyone use this?

13»

Replies

• willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    I want to use this in conjunction with eating better and excercising. Anyone try this?

Alli is very unhealthy. Our bodies require fat to function. Limiting it & eating a very low fat diet is not a good idea.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Oh my, everyone! Thanks for the laugh! I'm ashamed for laughing so hard. I'm also grateful I have no poo grease.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    I know someone who tried it and had the funniest, most embarrassing story about it. They insisted that they didn't go over 15g of fat per meal though. Oily toot?? In public. I read that the average weight loss results are only 6lbs per year, and that's if you eat the full 15g of fat per meal and are totally consistent with the product over 365 days. I'd say save your $.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    If you keep your fat grams per day under 10 then the pill isn't going to do anything for you anyway. The idea of it is to eliminate excess fat from your gut by the quick exit route. There are no magic weight loss pills out there.

^^ This. Talked to my Doc about it once and he told me if I was eating a halfway decent diet (which I usually do) it was a waste of $$ so I passed.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    I wouldn't ........ a coworker used this ...... and was ALWAYS in the damn bathroom :noway:

Their OWN website used to suggest "bringing a change of clothes with you to work". I cannot find that now (unless I just missed it... I'm not taking anything that requires I carry extra clothes with me because my *kitten* might spontaneoulsy squirt out undigested fat.

Their website now states this:

"Such effects may include oily spotting, loose stools, and more frequent stools that may be hard to control.
    alli works by blocking the absorption about 25% of the fat in the foods you eat. This undigested fat cannot be absorbed and passes through the body naturally along with the calories in this fat. You may recognize it in the toilet as something that looks like the oil on top of a pizza.
    Eating a reduced-calorie, low-fat diet that consists of 15 grams of fat per meal on average can lower the chance of experiencing these GI side effects.."

BUT the Mayo Clinic states this about Alli:

"Alli can help you lose weight, but the weight loss will likely be modest — perhaps just a few pounds more than you would lose with diet and exercise alone.

The average weight loss for prescription-strength Xenical is about 5 to 7 pounds (about 2 to 3 kilograms) greater than diet and exercise alone after one year. (2, 4) The lower dose Alli could conceivably result in a loss of 3 to 5 pounds (about 1 to 2 kilograms) a year in addition to the weight loss you could expect from diet and exercise alone."

only 5 pounds additional in one YEAR? So not worth it.
  • I havent read all the replys but Im currently taking Xenical which is Alli but double the strength, Ive had no problems with it and it definately helps me because Im so put off by cheating just incase there isnt a toilet near by haha

Can I also add I dont get any yucky 'leakage' or feel any different aslong as I stick to a nice healthy diet. Only once did I have side effects and that was after deep fried potato skins, beef canneloni and garlic bread! which I ate on my 1st day of taking them.
  • I have to say I'm absolutely fascinated that people voluntarily take something that will make them *kitten* themselves in pubic. Eat better, workout more.

To be fare, its helped me keep on the straight and narrow which to me is a good thing, it might not be for everyone, but ye like I say its helped me.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    There are indications now that this product also causes liver and kidney failure.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2012/12/10/popular-weight-loss-drug-may-cause-liver-failure/
  • kenj13
    kenj13 Posts: 39 Member
    I agree with another poster, eating (healthy) fat is essential for your body to function properly. Enjoy some healthy fats like avocados, nuts, real cheese and work on what you originally said stated about counting calories and exercise. Keep at it! :drinker:
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    This tread was very interesting for me. I have always been curious about this product. All I know is I do not like being on any sort of medication or pills...Im not down with side effects :)
  • kvonjohn
    kvonjohn Posts: 569 Member
    Ok I admit I tried it. And it totally works. As in even if you stay under you fat allowance you still 'poop' out the extra fat. It does its job. The problem with that is orange smelly butt-oil will stain all of your underwear. It will literally take weeks to get the smell out of anything. It will stain your toilet. Your gas will also share that same nauseating smell. And don't pass in public because not only will you not 'get away with it' there is still a good chance some will come out. It is probably the nastiest thing I have ever experienced.
    Fart in your sleep? Better hope not!

died-laughing-o.gif
  • arhummel
    arhummel Posts: 32 Member
    Don't use it. I was following it to a "T" and stil had the leakage...and that isn't pleasant. TG I hadn't left for work yet!! TMI yes but those side affects hold true!!