new to running..underwear?

Yes this seems silly but I don't know so I figured I would just ask.I have recently started running. I am still at the jog/walk stage but whatever. My issue is my underwear fall down. I got new ones because after losing thirty lbs I figured that they were obviously too big. Even with the new ones they are not comfortable for running. Before I go underwear shopping do any of you mfp ladies have any suggestions on style. It's not like I can try them out first. Thanks

Replies

• pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    NOT boy shorts! They will fall down (at least in my opinion they do). I know a lot of ladies I run with wear thongs :ohwell:
  • drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    I thought I was alone in this problem!! Haha. Hope to get some good advice
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Running shorts often come with liners built in so that you don't need to wear actual underwear.
  • Focusedjessy
    Focusedjessy Posts: 114 Member
    Boy shorts give me a wedgie when I work out. I learned that the hard way.
  • Focusedjessy
    Focusedjessy Posts: 114 Member
    What if I don't want to wear running shorts though. When my thighs don't rub together so much I might be at that point
  • lynus85
    lynus85 Posts: 50 Member
    i think its totally a personal preference thing. I know a lot of people like thongs- i personally HATE them when running- in fact almost ripped it off during a long run recently because it was so uncomfortable.

I like just plain jane full bum snug fitting undies. Nothing fancy. But i do agree with the boy shorts- they ride, get bunchy and are just generally awful ahah
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    I wear wicking "bicycle" shorts (without padding) under regular loose running shorts -- the longer length of the "bike" shorts prevents chafing. I used to wear cotton ones but those are really hard to find now. Use at least 6" or 9" length.
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    What if I don't want to wear running shorts though. When my thighs don't rub together so much I might be at that point

I don't have an answer about the underwear, I just wear regular brief panties, my husband calls them granny panties, but they're comfortable so I don't care.

But about the running shorts. My thighs rub together too, and I found that if I wear something tight on bottom (usually leggings, but running shorts would work too) they don't rub together quite so much and running is a lot more comfortable. I just wear a big t-shirt over them to hide my belly a little bit.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Thong, the only underwear I use anymore, it's just less complicated - only covers the parts you really need covered and no bunching - no panty lines either, bonus!
  • Agreed. Plain simple thongs!
  • PurpleLadyZ
    PurpleLadyZ Posts: 5 Member
    no underwear. you could do nike pros or some type of compression shorts under your workout gear. and if your legs rub, use some glide so that you don't chafe.
  • selmafeki
    selmafeki Posts: 48 Member
    That thong thong thong thonggggggggggggggggggggg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oai1V7kaFBk
  • MamaCass30
    MamaCass30 Posts: 37 Member
    What underwear? :blushing:
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member

I don't have an answer about the underwear, I just wear regular brief panties, my husband calls them granny panties, but they're comfortable so I don't care.

But about the running shorts. My thighs rub together too, and I found that if I wear something tight on bottom (usually leggings, but running shorts would work too) they don't rub together quite so much and running is a lot more comfortable. I just wear a big t-shirt over them to hide my belly a little bit.
    I wear granny panties too, lol. Full coverage guaranteed to stay in place. There was talk about wicking underwear in one of my groups yesterday, I want to try those now.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Now that it's warmer I wear shorts with built in liners...but with capri's I picked up some wickaway underwear at Target in their exercise department (it was a 2 pack for $12 or 14) and I've worn them a couple of times and they are pretty comfortable.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Go to a running store and get fitted. They can analyze your chafing and get you in the underwear that's right for you.
  • juliana0813
    juliana0813 Posts: 49
    i wear thongs and they never fall down, but i wear thongs normally too so the comfort thing is not an issue with me
  • None! I can't do it! I work out at home though..so if I have leggings on and you could see through, the only person to see would be my husband. He would prefer this haha. I also use the running shorts with the built in underwear. Love them!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    I wear compression shorts with no panties. 7" or 9" shorts will keep thighs from chafing.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    I go to Target and get Hanes Athletic Bikinis. They are awesome. I personally cannot go without and despise thongs--never found them comfortable