Avocado Advice

I've never before purchased them, tried guacamole once as a kid and wrinkled my nose to it ever since, and don't know the best ways to eat/use them.

Well recently they were marked down at the market, and knowing how good they are for you, I bought a couple.

Any thoughts or recommendations on how to eat or prepare them? Or what to eat them with?
Thank you,
Chanel

Replies

• I like using them on sandwiches in place of mayo. Just add 2-3 slices (I am making turkey spinach burgers tonight and topping them with avocado and Sriracha). I also like to eat them plain for breakfast- a few slices sprinkled lightly with sea salt served with a side of eggs.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    They're delicious on sandwiches. You could do a "Mexican" egg scramble for breakfast with eggs, cheese, avocado and salsa. Also, served with salsa, chicken and black beans, I bet they'd be fantastic! Mix with some mayo or Greek yogurt for a condiment for burgers, or just slice them up on burgers. Do you like BLTs? I bet they would be an awesome addition. I also like to eat them raw, out of the shell with salt and pepper. They're great with ranch, too.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Another idea is to smash it and swirl it in with some greek yogurt for a dip or sandwich/wrap spread.
  • Jeleblanc
    Jeleblanc Posts: 1 Member
    I am obsessed with avocado! They are ripe when they are soft to the touch when squeezed. If they are hard they arent tasty and will be hard to peel. I like them plain with just a lil italian dressing on them! A quick low cal snack!
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    I just started making an open face sandwich with them - two slices multi grain toast, one avocado, mashed, and sliced tomatoes. I just mash up the avocado and I use the whole thing - makes the sandwich a little messy, but I love it. You can sprinkle with salt and pepper, I'm sure, but I don't add salt to my food. I'm also going to try some in a grilled cheese sandwich at some point and the suggestions of having it on a burger etc.... Yum, I see a lot more avocado in my future.
  • shenanigansmo
    shenanigansmo Posts: 119 Member
    I like using them on sandwiches in place of mayo. Just add 2-3 slices (I am making turkey spinach burgers tonight and topping them with avocado and Sriracha). I also like to eat them plain for breakfast- a few slices sprinkled lightly with sea salt served with a side of eggs.

I eat them for breakfast also that way. I'll slice half an avocado, sprinkle it with some garlic salt, and just eat it like that.

I also like to make tuna salad with them. I'll take a can of tuna, half an avocado cubed, a teeny amount (maybe a teaspoon full) of mayo just to make the texture smoother, some chopped celery, and lemon or lime juice, mix it together and it's delicious!
  • shenanigansmo
    shenanigansmo Posts: 119 Member
    Oh and if you want to try guacamole again, my dad has the BEST and easiest guacamole recipe ever!!!

Here's the recipe on his blog:

http://www.gabbygeezer.com/recipes/good-guacamole-starts-with-ripe-guacamole-berries
  • roxy415
    roxy415 Posts: 29 Member
    i just had an awesome lunch that consisted of last nights grilled chicken -- shredded it in the blender and thru in a half of an avocado -- add some seasonings-- and onion and what evs else--- and you have chicken salad--- rocking awesome---
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    One of the best tips I've found...either this site or some Paleo site was how to ripen them.
    This is awesome because I used to buy them ripe then by the time I got them home they were past their prime.

Buy the hard unripe avocados and stick them in a brown paper bag with a tomato. Then they ripen perfectly in a couple days..then I stick them in the fridge.

I make egg salad where you mash the 2 boiled yolks with 1/2 avocado, some ground mustard and a little apple cider vinegar. Really good and you don't miss the mayo.
  • I like using them on sandwiches in place of mayo. Just add 2-3 slices (I am making turkey spinach burgers tonight and topping them with avocado and Sriracha). I also like to eat them plain for breakfast- a few slices sprinkled lightly with sea salt served with a side of eggs.

I eat them for breakfast also that way. I'll slice half an avocado, sprinkle it with some garlic salt, and just eat it like that.

I also like to make tuna salad with them. I'll take a can of tuna, half an avocado cubed, a teeny amount (maybe a teaspoon full) of mayo just to make the texture smoother, some chopped celery, and lemon or lime juice, mix it together and it's delicious!

Oh my gosh, yummy! I have never thought about making tuna salad with avocado! I am trying this tomorrow for my lunch!
  • arhummel
    arhummel Posts: 32 Member
    I am not a fan of eating plain avocados but I love guacamole and you can make it really healthy by adding in onion, tomato and some seasonings!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Use them in place of anything you'd use mayonnaise or other creamy dressings for. On a sandwich, in a salad, mashed up with lemon juice and salt and used as veggie dip, etc.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    My favourite way is just cutting it in half sprinkling it with salt and going to town with a spoon.

Other than that....I like it sliced on sandwiches, cubed in salads, sliced on toast with a fried egg, made into guacamole, put in burritos/wraps.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    I love to make it simply mashed on toast with salt and pepper.... Yummy!
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    I mix them with eggs!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    So delicious diced up with quartered mushrooms, a touch of soy sauce, black pepper and onion powder.
    Or, how about some avocado pie? Lotsa recipe versions out there, here's one. Although I prefer to top mine with sourcream/vanilla extract/sugar to sweeten mix, not whipped cream...
    http://mybyrdhouse.blogspot.com/2008/04/avocado-pie-april-ppp.html
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    In sandwiches, cubed on top of salads, sliced on top of an omlette. Also it's yummy to toast bread adn spread it on bread.
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    This is an absolutely amazing version of the BLT but with avacado added. I like to add a bit of low cal mayo. The recipe includes all nutritional info. Actually...the recipe is already in they myfitnesspal database.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/08/blt-with-avocado.html

Sean