I don't want a waist line that looks like this!

Replies

• Now that you all have had a turn taking stabs at me personally....
    I do a 30 minute ab routine 3 days a week. Some of the moves use light weights, others do not. I was thinking of doing abs 5 days a week but I wonder if that is too much, or is it still too little? I never can decide if there should be more frequency than 3 days for abs. I have went to doing total body three days and cardio 5 days. I usually split my cardio from the resistance because I just don't have that uninterrupted chunk of time. Should I increase my resistance to 5 days?

The ab work that you do will not 1. build muscle or 2. turn you into Dana Torres.

You could do an ab routine every day of the week, but it won't give you abs. Weight loss and a low body fat percentage will give you abs. Ab workouts will give you a stronger core, but as long as there is still excess weight there, it won't be visible.

You can train your abs as many days a week as you like. If you feel too sore, you're over training.

You would think with the amount of times she has posted on MFP, she would have read this by now. I read things like this the first week I was on this website.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    my hip bones stick out waaaay farther than my waist.
    no amount of exercise will reduce the width of those.

Mine, too! I'm actually hoping to build my midsection a bit so that my big, square hips aren't so obvious.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Don't worry, you won't
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Now that you all have had a turn taking stabs at me personally....
    I do a 30 minute ab routine 3 days a week. Some of the moves use light weights, others do not. I was thinking of doing abs 5 days a week but I wonder if that is too much, or is it still too little? I never can decide if there should be more frequency than 3 days for abs. I have went to doing total body three days and cardio 5 days. I usually split my cardio from the resistance because I just don't have that uninterrupted chunk of time. Should I increase my resistance to 5 days?

Abs are the one area you can (and probably should) do every day. However, to maximize your curves, I like to work the muscles as a part of the whole body as well (like yoga, Pilates, squats, etc.).

I do yoga almost everyday. My range of motion has returned through out my body. Once I recovered medically I was able to actually get in some real work. It certainly is nice to be physically able to do that again. I had a bad knee that vanished over night somehow. That has also allowed me more effective workouts. I tried pilates but I must have just gotten the most boring dvd in the world. I was thinking of trying out something new in that respect.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Goodness I would love to have a midsection like hers.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    I keep seeing pictures of women who after working out, losing fat, and building muscle, have a straight waistline with no curves at all. Is this because of the way the muscles were built, is it genetic? What causes a woman's waist to look like this? This kind of makes me think twice about trying too hard to build muscle. Not that someone like Dara Torres doesn't have a nice body, it's just the waist line looks like a pencil. Is this avoidable?

Be careful with your diet and don't pick up too many weights or one morning you might wake up and BLAM! you look like Dana Torres. Scary stuff.

In all seriousness, judging from your profile pic you have about as much chance of having her body as I do of looking like Lebron James. Just keeping it real.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Now that you all have had a turn taking stabs at me personally....

The ab work that you do will not 1. build muscle or 2. turn you into Dana Torres.

You could do an ab routine every day of the week, but it won't give you abs. Weight loss and a low body fat percentage will give you abs. Ab workouts will give you a stronger core, but as long as there is still excess weight there, it won't be visible.

You can train your abs as many days a week as you like. If you feel too sore, you're over training.

Right, the workout she is doing will give her a strong core, and that will become visible with weight loss.

As a side note, abs are muscles. People can actually choose to bulk those muscles with ab focused weight lifting if they want to (with work and dedication). Most people don't choose that as a goal. And instead choose to do full body weight lifting that will give them the full body results/shape they are looking for.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    It's low bodyfat.

Bugger all to do with the amount of muscle.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    OP - I would just like to know if posting this picture and identifying your distaste for it made you feel better about yourself today?
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Yeah.. she has a specific body type. Unless you have the same body type you will not look like her even with that much muscle mass. Not everyone has a defined waist and wider hips.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    rcocW.gif
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I lift. I have 12" between hips and waist.

Body fat makes the difference.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Hmm...I seem to remember a thread that was posted not too long ago where I was upset over racist comments that were made about me. The OP took great pleasure in making fun of the fact that I was upset over this. Well, beauty is DEFINITELY in the eye of the beholder, and Ms. Torres is absolutely the beautiful one here.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Why do all seemingly benign thread topics turn so cruel?

What's benign about an overweight woman with virtually 0 progress posting a picture of one of the fittest women in the world, who happens to be a 46 year old Olympic athlete, and saying "how can I avoid ending up like this"??

^Five!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I once took an abs class and I came out looking JUST LIKE THAT!!

Be careful - it happens all the time!!!!!!! Search the forums for "belly fat" and you'll see all the people who are trying desperately to put fat back on their middles becuase they totally accidentally got super-buff without trying at all!!

:flowerforyou:

Oh yeahhhh I see this and similar topics come up on Oprah all the time! HALP I GOT BULKY FROM LIFTING WEIGHTS! HALP I GOT ABS OF AN OLYMPIC SWIMMER OMGGGG
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Your exercises aren't really going to change the shape of your waist. I mean, you can tone your midsection up and drop fat so that it looks smaller or bigger, but you can't change the actual ratios of your body. If your hips are narrow, that will affect how curvy you look as you will always have a smaller waist to hip ratio whether you gain muscle or not. There's not much you can do about that. The only way I've seen someone change the actual waist to hip ratio is by using steel boned corsets to waist train.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    It's low bodyfat.

Bugger all to do with the amount of muscle.

If she had the same body fat without her muscle, she certainly wouldn't look like this.
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    I'm guessing she doesn't want yours either. But I'm willing to bet she has enough class to not go posting pictures of you and saying so.
    ^^^This
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    I once took an abs class and I came out looking JUST LIKE THAT!!

Be careful - it happens all the time!!!!!!! Search the forums for "belly fat" and you'll see all the people who are trying desperately to put fat back on their middles becuase they totally accidentally got super-buff without trying at all!!

:flowerforyou:

clap.gif
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    IMHO, that is way unattractive.

I AGREE!!
This discussion has been closed.