new to running..underwear?

Replies

1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    The running shorts with built in underwear are good. They don't rub the skin raw like panties do. If you opt to wear panties under these shorts, something NON-cotton will be your best bet.
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Just ditch 'em whilst exercising. Lotsa "exercising" clothes have built in liners and such now.

Much more comfy to move w/out that extra layer.
  • Focusedjessy
    Focusedjessy Posts: 114 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. I think I am going to try commando. I don't want to go spend money on stuff when all I have to do is take them off. Lol. I hate thongs but I like the no lines so commando is really what I will try.
  • maribeth721
    maribeth721 Posts: 10
    Moving Comfort has a line of athletic underwear. I will NEVER wear cotton again after these. I like the bikini style, they stay in place, keep you dry. Under armor also carries thongs. I have a couple. But some people prefer not to work out in a thong, depends on your preference. I would avoid the boy short style of underwear as they don't stay in place.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    underwear?????

I just wear spandex knee length pants... I wear them for an hour and they have to be washed anyway.. no panties!!!!
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Personally, I love to wear boyshorts and yoga underwear that come from Victoria Secret's PINK selection. My problem is that my underwear likes to ride UP as I run though (big butt problems lol), so your case may be different. Maybe try hipsters or cheekies if boyshorts don't work.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    underwear?????

I just wear spandex knee length pants... I wear them for an hour and they have to be washed anyway.. no panties!!!!

I never thought about that!!! Maybe I'll try this too! lol
  • sprinthard
    sprinthard Posts: 44
    Let'em be free!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    I wear boring bikini briefs from Hanes. I almost never have an issue with them.

I will say some running pants often are the culprit not the underwear. I have retired some running capris before because they won't stay up or they always ride up.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    In all honesty, I don't wear underwear while running. I wear dance shorts or yoga pants lol. Sometimes, I'll even just throw on a skirt or something over my tights and leo
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Do your pants fall down too? I haven't had a problem with my underwear specifically but I have had plenty of problems with my pants falling down, I think its all the up/down jiggle of my butt makes them work their way south. I either get really high waisted pants w/ a thick elastic waist OR I get pants w/ a draw string. As for underwear I wear any and everything, nothing special. Although anything with lace around the legs is a no no, and cotton on hot days or long runs is no good....
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Skip the underwear.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Trust me, this is the most comfortable:

With Spandex- none.
    With lined shorts- none.
    If you NEED to wear something, wear the smallest thong you can find.

:)
  • dmf711
    dmf711 Posts: 141 Member
    I don't wear any, at least when I'm working out :blushing: My leggings have a built in liner and I wash them after every workout to keep things kosher. I ONLY wear leggings on the bottom to work out. No riding up, no falling down, no chafing. I've even safety pinned my under-tanktop to my leggings to keep everything in its place. It really works.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    One more thing, after a long run (aka half marathon) I bring a change of clothes and typically just change in public, can't really do that unless you've got some undies on under your running shorts/pants ;)
  • EdwarddeVere
    EdwarddeVere Posts: 178
    Depending... but briefs, bikinis, and even a jock straps (for males at least)... anything on the leg is going to ride up.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Yes this seems silly but I don't know so I figured I would just ask.I have recently started running. I am still at the jog/walk stage but whatever. My issue is my underwear fall down. I got new ones because after losing thirty lbs I figured that they were obviously too big. Even with the new ones they are not comfortable for running. Before I go underwear shopping do any of you mfp ladies have any suggestions on style. It's not like I can try them out first. Thanks

I recommend 2 in 1 running shorts (compression shorts).

Women: http://www.6pm.com/new-balance-momentum-2-in-1-short-black-pink-shock~2

Men: http://www.6pm.com/new-balance-7-2-in-1-running-short-asphalt
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    I avoid wearing underwear whenever possible. It's really more of a life motto. But if shorty running shorts aren't your thing, both Athleta and Oiselle make longer shorts with liners. Or you can get a longer running skirt with compression shorts underneath.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    So far my favorite boy shorts are maidenform. No panty lines yay! I would be too grossed out to go commando because I don't want a wet spot of sweat all over the crotch of my pants especially when I stretch afterward. Gross.
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    in good weather, i wear running shorts with the built in underwear. i buy them at Target. When it's cooler, i wear either yoga capris or sweats. you don't need underwear with either. If the yoga capris make you feel immodest, wear a big shirt that covers your hips.