Cannot Control My Eating!!!

I'm getting very frustrated! I have been very good with my exercising and have a very high activity job. I feel so much better, and have lost a total of 16 pounds in the past 6 months. However, I cannot get past this plateau, and I know it has to do with my eating. I take in a lot of calories, and not healthy ones. I have been doing this for years. How do I get past the unhealthy eating, and eating constantly?! I need to get this weight off, and am losing patience with myself!

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    What is your daily calorie goal?
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Willpower. There is no magical solution.
  • ryry_

Also this. While certain strategies make things easier, the ultimate answer is personal accountability and the realization that by conscious choice you are either moving towards or away from your goals.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Try putting handcuffs on it. Controlling eating can be as complex as any other control situation, but you need to realize it is going to be fun for both of you. Maybe try a whip. Do you have a safe word? Maybe something like, "fattie"?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Are you logging accurately?

You could be under eating which could lead to binges on 'unhealthy' foods. Also make sure your activity level states that your active and make sure that you eat back your exercise calories.

Allow yourself some treats every so often to avoid bingeing on unhealthy food.
  • Shan_wb
    Shan_wb Posts: 5 Member
    It's 1658...it shouldn't be hard to reach, but I have no willpower to stop. Before I had my kids I was able to control it by exercising when I was hungry and knew I shouldn't eat, but now I can't just go out for a run when I have the kids at home to watch.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member

That's true. It can be hard to develop different habits. If you are an obsessive person and feel you cannot change, find another obsession besides food.
  • ryry_
    It's 1658...it shouldn't be hard to reach, but I have no willpower to stop. Before I had my kids I was able to control it by exercising when I was hungry and knew I shouldn't eat, but now I can't just go out for a run when I have the kids at home to watch.

Pretty reasonable calorie level.

Culprit is the mindset. Yes you can control it but you are choosing not to. No internet forum posting can help you. If you want it bad enough you will put the fork down when its time.

For the cardio excuse, I see people jogging with strollers and babies all the time. Are you married? Can the S/o watch them for a half hour? Are they older? Join a gym with daycare.

Get rid of the defeatest attitude.
  • arhummel
    arhummel Posts: 32 Member
    I am kind of in the same boat. I have lost 16 lbs in the past 5 months and get over my plateau either! It's very frustraiting! Try switching things up a bit with exercise and play with your calories which is what I am trying to do. Our weight will move eventually, but this stall better get over quick lol. Good luck!
  • Ragtees
    Ragtees Posts: 33 Member
    I have had the same issues, especially when things get stressful. I had to come to grips with the reason I was overeating, it certainly wasn't because I was hungry. I grew up poor and any extra food or snacks we had was quickly eaten. I habitually sneaked food, usually snacks, all my life as well -even now- though my wife and I make decent money and we always have food, I still find myself wanting to sneak a snack. It took opening up to her on everything I was feeling about my eating habits to break the thought cycle. Once I started with opening up about the reasons I couldn't control my eating, the rest got easier. I started using myfitnesspal, doing cardio & yoga, limited my calories and things started to click. Hope this helps. I started this 6 weeks ago at 240 and started keeping track about 4 weeks ago...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    You control what you eat. It's not that you "can't" stop overeating, it's that you don't want to lose weight bad enough to stop doing it. When you get your head in the right place it will all come together. You do or don't do whatever you set your mind to.
  • Ih8thedreadmill
    Ih8thedreadmill Posts: 46 Member
    I am kind of in the same boat. I have lost 16 lbs in the past 5 months and get over my plateau either! It's very frustraiting! Try switching things up a bit with exercise and play with your calories which is what I am trying to do. Our weight will move eventually, but this stall better get over quick lol. Good luck!

Double check your numbers......I bumped my calories up about 100 calories and broke my plateau. I was actually gaining for 3 weeks... UGH and raised calories 100 and I have lost 4 pounds this week...raised mid last week! NOTHING ELSE HAS CHANGED! I feel less hungry and am loosing again! It makes zero sense I get it but try going up a little if you are hungry!
  • Shan_wb
    Yes, you are correct, it is the mindset and I know that. I guess I am looking for help finding some different foods or suggestions to curb the headaches and other symptoms I am getting when I don't eat and feel hungry. I feel like a crazy person! LOL. I'd like to find a way to add in more veggies and healthy foods, which I can truly say I hate!

As far as the exercising goes, I have no problem fitting in the exercise, and am usually walking or walking/running 3 to 5 miles a day, on top of covering a good 3 miles or more at work. And yes, my husband does watch the kids for me when I want to exercise, but he isn't always here, so I cannot just go out and run whenever I have cravings, which is how I used to deal with those cravings and beat the weight gain. I am very proud of my current exercise plan, and as I said previously, I'm happy with the progress I have made so far. I just know I can do more when I can overcome this food issue.
  • Shan_wb
    Thank you to everyone that has positive comments!
  • peaceissues
    peaceissues Posts: 77 Member
    Why not try and think about how good it would be for your kids to have you around longer and healthier..use your kids as motivation.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    more water, more fiber, more activities. Food shouldn't be what you think about all day. Read a book.
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Join the Binge Eating Group on MFP. It truly has helped me get back on track.
  • Bolton84
    Bolton84 Posts: 76 Member
    buy a small notepad and everytime you eat something write the time and what you ate. maybe you having to physically write it down and at the end of the day see what you ate will make you want to eat less or eat better. maybe substitue buying a hamburger for buying sliced meat and tortilla shells and eating a wrap instead. its all willpower.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Well first of all keeping high calorie and convenience foods out of the house should help. If you truly can not control your eating talk to your dr about binge eating disorder. You can get help for this and don't have to do it on your own :flowerforyou:
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    If you truly cannot control yourself than maybe you want to look into psychological help. ( I don't mean this in a mean way) Maybe you have a food addiction

Otherwise it's a question of "Cowboy up" and just do it!