Tips for VERY beginner runner

I am looking to start running, but I have ZERO endurance when it comes to running. I am 218 lbs right now and it kills my legs to be slamming my fat around on a treadmill.

I am hoping to eventually be able to run a 5k sometime in fall but my first goal is to run ONE MILE.

I tried the C25K program but even Week 1 was too hard for me. I am telling you all, I can hardly run 30 minutes!

My question is: Should I push myself every day to run 1 mile even though I want to die? Or do I go as far as I can and try to increase my distance every day?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    I'd gradually work up to it. If you're not running on a treadmill, then I'd suggest walking as fast as you can for 30 min, but 1 min during that time (take a watch) run, even if it's very slow. The next day do 2 min of running, maybe walk for 14, run for 1, walk for 14, run for 1. Each day add another minute of running, until you're running the whole 30 min. Even better, try to do this 30 min of walk/jog twice a day. But listen to your body & talk to your doctor about it.
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Go get fitted for shoes at a local running store.

Slow down. If you still struggle, slow down some more. Yep, I know you're already slow. Shuffle if you have to.

Or do lower impact activities like biking and wait until you've already lost some more weight.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    when I started, I walked.. half a mile.. every morning before work. Then I jogged a little bit, then extended it to a mile, still mostly walking. I did have new shoes for it. Your feet are so important.
  • michellestaceyg
    michellestaceyg Posts: 7 Member
    I would work on walking as fast as you can for 30 mins, your endurance will still build that way, and eventually you might be ready for the C25K program. I once ran a 5k, but I was at least 25 lbs lighter - would love to do it again. We weigh nearly the same, let me know if you want to motivate each other on this goal :)
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    I would do option 2 and just try go as far as you can but try and make it a little further each time. But also take a rest for a short while and see if you can push a little further until you feel you really can't do no more. Make up your own C25K.

When I first started at 240lbs I could only run for 3 mins at 5mph and was so out of breath and hurting for 1 week. It took me walking long distances, interval running/walking training and plain determination to run my first 5k which is one of the best moments of my journey to where I am now (which is 15-20k and running at max 8mph for a 5k but up to 12mph for sprints).

Also make sure you warm up, cool down and stretch to limit muscle aches.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    1. Slow down. Then slow down some more. Going too fast is the biggest mistake newbies make.

2. Get good shoes. They're worth it.

3. If you've been sedentary for a long time, walking is good. It will condition the muscles in your legs and get you ready for running (well, within reason) and won't be overly wearing on your joints.

4. Be patient.
  • kimcatus
    kimcatus Posts: 27
    Go get fitted for shoes at a local running store.

Slow down. If you still struggle, slow down some more. Yep, I know you're already slow. Shuffle if you have to.

Or do lower impact activities like biking and wait until you've already lost some more weight.
    1. Slow down. Then slow down some more. Going too fast is the biggest mistake newbies make.

2. Get good shoes. They're worth it.

3. If you've been sedentary for a long time, walking is good. It will condition the muscles in your legs and get you ready for running (well, within reason) and won't be overly wearing on your joints.

4. Be patient.

^All of the above; great advice!
  • YellowNightingale
    YellowNightingale Posts: 440 Member
    I should have mentioned that I have been fitted 3 times for new shoes but I still wind up in pain. The newest pair I have are minimalist shoes and they seem to be the best so far. I will see a podiatrist but with my work schedule (and other dr appts) am finding it really hard to make an appointment.

I just walked my first 5K and have been walking at least 3 miles 5 days a week. I even biked 10 miles the other day as a challenge to myself.

Thanks for the advice everyone! :)