Confused Not Exercising

I just want to get everyones opinion on what you think is going on. Ok, I usually work out 4 plus times a week burning usually around 1000 calories a workout (per my Heart Rate Monitor) I do the elliptical and then a Zumba or Spin Class. I have been loosing anywhere around 1/2pound to a pound a week which is great. Well, my boyfriend and I went on a camping trip and have just been very busy and I have NOT worked out for 2 weeks and I have lost 5 pounds in two weeks of not working out. Why am I loosing more weight and average of 2.5lbs a week when I was loosing 1/2lb a week when I was working out it dosen't make any sense. The one thing I am doing is staying at 1200 to 1300 calories a day I don't go over but I stay at that. Does this mean that I was starving before by burning so many calories at a time???? I'm just confused on why I would loose more while not working out. I want to go back to the gym and feel guilty for not going but loosing 1/2 a pound a day is just too good to stop! What do you think could be the reason for this.

Replies

• Could be your diet.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    When you would work out, Did you eat back your exercise calories?

Exercise is not required for losing weight. You only have to eat at a deficit from what you burn everyday.

Exercise will make you look and feel better than if you didn't. But you do have to fuel your exercise.

edit: My experience seems to be the opposite of yours. If I don't workout, my weight loss slows down a bit. I do eat my exercise calories though.
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    I don't think I'll be much help but that's interesting! Why workout if it just falls off on its own!! :laugh:

Maybe you are losing muscle?? I'm interested to see what everyone else has to say.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    it is most lkely beause you were not eating enough to support that workout routine.
  • If you are burning that many calories and only consuming 1200-1300, then your metabolism basically shuts down and your body will hold on to everything that you eat, hence the slow weight loss. Now that you have given your body a break, your metabolism has realigned itself and is working optimally which results in the weight loss you have seen without working out. If you don't want to damage your metabolism permanently, you need to increase you calorie intake when you go back to the gym. Most women shouldn't go below 1200 calories or they risk injuring their metabolism. So, if you want to burn 1000 calories per day at the gym and still lose weight at a healthy rate, you should consider consuming 2200 calories. That way after your burn, your net calorie intake is at 1200 rather than the low, low amount of 200 calories. I learned this lesson the hard way myself....lol. And once I increased my calorie intake, the pounds melted off! It never hurts to do a little research for yourself to find what will work best for you...just google it :) Best of luck!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I agree with all of the above that you may have been undereating. Also, if your body wasn't getting the rest days it needs you may have been holding onto some water weight to help cushion your muscles that was released during your vacation.
  • shelliemacs
    shelliemacs Posts: 42 Member
    OMG Thank you for this post. I am experiencing the same thing. I do Les Mills Combat and Les Mills Pump classes 6 days a week with almost no weight loss. I take Fridays off from exercising just for a physical break because I am physically hurting and tired. On the morning after I don't work out, I have always dropped at least 1-1.5 lbs. Its always amazing to me that I don't exercise and loose weight but when I burn it up, NODDA!

Sharonleigh your post makes HUGE sense to me now. I have been sticking to about 1000-1100 calories a day, every day and now I see I am probably in starvation mode and hopefully that's why I am not losing.

now my problem is, I am just not hungry enough to eat say 1500 to 1700 calories. a day to make up for the exercise deficit. Any suggestions on how to up the calories when your just not hungry??
    shelly
  • XxMarcella85xX
    XxMarcella85xX Posts: 30 Member
    No, I never eat back my workout calories. This makes perfect sense now. Thank you everyone!!!!! So, if I do workout I need to be eating more calories so I'm not starving myself!!!!

So......basically in order to not stave ourselves we need to eat back our exercise calories to loose at a healthy faster rate.
  • shadow2soul
    No, I never eat back my workout calories. This makes perfect sense now. Thank you everyone!!!!! So, if I do workout I need to be eating more calories so I'm not starving myself!!!!

So......basically in order to not stave ourselves we need to eat back our exercise calories to loose at a healthy faster rate.

Correct.

shelliemacs: try adding calorie dense foods into your day

Avocados
    Nuts
    Peanut Butter

You could also add
    A Protein shake
    Drinks with calories (I prefer to eat my calories, but you could do this if you're not hungry)
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    I wish I had an answer for you & I am looking forward to see other peoples thoughts on it. I have the same issue & it drives me crazy I was losing 2 - 2 1/2 lbs a week for like 12 weeks then I added exercise to my routine & everything has come to a screeching halt :( I tried to adjust my calories to see if I was under or over eating yet still no change but I do seem slimmer despite the weight not really changing. Psychologically I find this really hard to deal with I actually considered giving up exercise for a while to get to a better weight then add the exercise back in when I go into maintenance. My husband actually doesn't believe that my weight loss stopswhen I exercise. It is completely frustrating.
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    it doesn't hurt to lift heavy weights to build muscle to burn even more in the long and rev up your metabolism. You will look more toned and have higher bone density.
  • shadow2soul
    I wish I had an answer for you & I am looking forward to see other peoples thoughts on it. I have the same issue & it drives me crazy I was losing 2 - 2 1/2 lbs a week for like 12 weeks then I added exercise to my routine & everything has come to a screeching halt :( I tried to adjust my calories to see if I was under or over eating yet still no change but I do seem slimmer despite the weight not really changing. Psychologically I find this really hard to deal with I actually considered giving up exercise for a while to get to a better weight then add the exercise back in when I go into maintenance. My husband actually doesn't believe that my weight loss stopswhen I exercise. It is completely frustrating.

Sounds like you're losing inches. Keep in mind the scale isn't the only way to judge progress.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Also, the stress hormone cortisol can affect weight loss. Over exercising can increase your levels of cortisol.