Logging while pregnant?

Help!! I'm nearly 13 weeks pregnant and looking for some advice on how to log.

I've been at maintenance for several months after reaching my goal weight last July. Now, I understand I need to up my calories slightly throughout the second trimester, and again in the third trimester. But I don't know how to do this on MFP.

Can anyone help please?! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• KristiLeighS
    KristiLeighS Posts: 112
    to be honest, i don't even think you should worry about logging. you are going to gain weight and you should, for the health of your child. I would suggest just eat healthy and enjoy being pregnant.
  • GreenEggsNHan
    GreenEggsNHan Posts: 27 Member
    Usually in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters women should increase their caloric intake by 300-500 calories a day. So if you have your calorie goal set at 1600 (just an example), you can just change the goal to 1900 or however much you want to increase it by. Your carb, protein, and fat ratios will stay the same and will automatically increase to match your higher calorie goal.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Hi OP, I'm pregnant too, haven't felt the need to up my calories yet as I'm only 5 weeks but I've been recommended to chose the "gain 0.5lb per week" option to give me the extra calories. Hope this helps, and congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I think it's a good idea to log, to make sure you're getting enough, and to make sure you don't gain too much. Good for a healthy baby and mother. I don't know how many you're supposed to increase by, but if you know the number you're aiming for, go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    to be honest, i don't even think you should worry about logging. you are going to gain weight and you should, for the health of your child. I would suggest just eat healthy and enjoy being pregnant.

^This!
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    I just found out that I'm pregnant, 5 weeks. I'm upping my calories and I'm sure I will need to go up a bit more. I have changed my goals and my weight loss is on hold but I do plan on continuing with logging. I need to in order to keep me from going off the deep end.

I'm not concerned about gaining weight but will log my weight monthly. I also plan on staying active for as long as I can.

Congrats!
  • marybowldseddington
    marybowldseddington Posts: 71 Member
    If at a healthy weight you only need to add 300 calories a day for pregnancy. This is about an extra cup of milk. Nursing women need more at 500 extra calories a day. Although women do gain weight during pregnancy it is a range of 25-35 for normal weight women. Women who are overweight or who have gestational diabetes may gain very little at the advice of their dr and still have a healthy pregnancy. Since GD is not diagnosed until 6-7 months I think it is a great thing to continue logging. Then if you have to adjust your diet you will already be aware of your carb, protein intake.
    Gestational Diabetes can sometimes be controlled by diet alone although other women because of hormonal relationship between their uterus and their pancreas esp as the pregnancy progresses will have to take insulin no matter how diligently they watch their carb intake. At that point it will be essential that she keep a food diary so again, you will be one step ahead if that should happen.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    There are tons of pregnant women logging on MFP, we're not all trying to lose weight. I'm logging to track my iron, fiber, fat and protein. Congrats OP! :flowerforyou:
  • ldickov
    ldickov Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks all!

I'm keen to keep logging, as its like a way of life now. I'm not trying to loose weight, I just want to keep an eye on levels etc. hopefully by keeping it up, it'll be easier to get back to goal at the end of it all!

Congrats to all you other pregnant ladies too - enjoy the ride :love:
  • Eliminatelazy1211
    Eliminatelazy1211 Posts: 5 Member
    you are only supposed to eat 300 calories extra while pregnant so logging in and tracking the calories and making sure theyre healthy would be in the best interest of the baby and mother.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Congrats. I think staying in the habit of logging is a good idea. I don't know about tracking your weight, guess that is up to you. But staying on point is important and so is staying active. Somehow I think you got this.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    u shouldnet be on here if u are pregnant u dont diet when u are pregnant
    the baby inside u
    gets food from what u eat
    please do not diet while u are pregnant
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    if u a re on here and pregnant and logging to gain
    then log everything u eat
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member

^This!

It's perfectly fine for her to keep on logging....she's reached maintenance, she wants to gain weight healthily during pregnancy, she understands that you have to up calories with each trimester. Why should she have to stop logging and eat intuitively? This is hard to do for someone with a predisposition to over eating which is many of us here on this site.

To the OP, consult your doctor on how many calories you should be eating and then just adjust your daily requirements manually in your diary settings and fill your body with healthy nourishing foods for you and your baby :smile:
  • ldickov
    ldickov Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks again!

As I've said, I'm not trying to lose weight, or diet. I use this app as a tracker more than anything now!

I should be aiming to gain around 25-35lbs, so have set my goals to gain 1lb a week from now, which would have me gain around 27-28lbs in total. Obviously, this may change as I progress and I may have to increase again, or decrease as necessary. I have also amended my target weight to include these figures.

So for now, I'm going to enjoy all these extra calories - for 'us' :laugh: !!!
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    I'm 7 weeks and plan on logging throughout my pregnancy. You can manually set your calorie goals. I'm not eating any additional calories until my doctor tells me to, which will probably be in the second tri, but I'm trying to get in exercise and all of my calories right now (which is hard when you feel nauseous all the time and eating is a chore).

Feel free to add me! I would love to have more pregnant mfp friends.
  • To people who are saying you should not be on MFP if you are pregnant. I think quite the contrary. I think it is excellent that you are interested in logging the different nutrients you eat and how much of them daily. Making sure you are eating a healthy balanced diet. Just because someone is using MFP that doesn't mean they are "dieting" to lose weight or anything like that. Many people use MFP to have a healthier lifestyle (which is how it should be used, not to crash diet). I think this is a great tool to use during pregnancy to keep track of what you are putting in your body to nurish your baby. I am pregnant and I am very happy I am using MFP, I want to be healthy and eat right. Just because you are pregnant that doesn't mean it is time to sit on the couch and eat cheetos, it is a time to be the healthiest you can be.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    I logged while pregnant, helped me ensure I was getting enough of the good stuff. I was over weight to start so over the course of my pregnancy I actually lst 4kg. Not from dieting, just focusing on the healthy.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Most are on MFP to learn how to and keep up with living a healthy lifestyle, not so much dieting, losing weight, etc. I think your Docs should know what you're doing and that you're still tracking your food/exercise (which they will be happy to hear!!). And something to ponder about your caloric intake: are you keeping your cals low for YOU, so YOU don't gain weight and have to start over? Or are you keeping your cals low because your Docs have told you to do that and that it is OK and healthy for the growth of your Baby?

I've been on MFP for almost 4 years: I'm at 14 weeks pregnant now & still logging, still working out, still leading and living a healthy lifestyle... Approved by all my doctors!! This profile pic was taken a few days ago - I am not giving up on being healthy, and I am also not compromising my soon-to-be-Baby's health. I'm considered "High Risk" due to my age and the damage from the neck down due to car accidents several years ago, but that didn't stop me a few years ago from getting healthy and it won't stop me now from being healthy. All my Docs have given me the all-clear and told me I'm healthier than the majority of mothers-to-be that are much younger than me: and the fact that I've clearly told them I'm still eating well (my worst craving has been fresh fruit... oh, woe is me - lol!), I'm still working out although I've given up weight lifting and my heavy gym workouts for now in exchange for milder/modified workouts that are keeping me strong, healthy & active. I've changed my weight to "maintain" as losing weight now is not what I'm looking for. I upped my cals to 2000 per day as I also still workout and I'm not going to deprive myself or the Little One if we need food. I'm still logging what I eat as I want to ensure I'm getting all the nutrients & minerals I can: there are some days I'm more famished than others & if I eat over cals, I'm not worrying: I've only gained 8 lbs - part of it due to the fact I had to stop weight lifting and the other part is at least 2 of those lbs went into my chest!! (yea - NEVER had <these> before!!

Both my sisters who are in the medical field & PFT's have also told me they will help me get back to my pre-pregnant shape, so as long as I don't just let it all hang out over the next 6 months, the less I have to worry and stress about the better! If MFP is stressing you because you're freaking out about higher cals, you need to stop. You need to take a break and do what you need to be a healthy Mom-to-be for your healthy Baby-to-be. If you're not worried about cals and you're more concerned with overall health, then keep logging know that what you're doing now is going to increase your chances of a healthy birth experience for both you & Baby :flowerforyou:
  • cookiepaws
    cookiepaws Posts: 9 Member
    Custom goals seems to be the best way to go but since I am only 7 weeks I am still in maintain mode for now. I actually disagree with people who say you shouldn't be logging- I think it is way more important now than ever. Track that you are eating the right foods (at least most of the time) and make sure you are getting enough calories and nutrients