Losing weight for health or vanity?

Options

Replies

• NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    you know it's funny, for years I tried lose weight mainly for vanity's sake. Years later I'm the happiest and most confident I've been so now I'm losing for health reasons. I want to grow old with my husband and be a healthy mom. I don't want the fat in my belly to smother my future baby lol
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Just health. I'm too darn old to worry about my looks any more!
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Started out for health, but now I want to build muscle for vanity.

Same here.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Started out as vanity. Then I realized how much better I felt. And my BP dropped over 20 pts and is now normal.

Now, since I am in normal range, any more loss is mostly vanity. But I want to be stronger, and I also know I need to eat right.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I love myself and want to continue to love myself. That's the main reason why I started to lose weight. I want to look good naked and be proud of the body I have. Being healthy is a perk of that but has never been my main concern.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it being both. Why would it have to be only one reason?
  • KristiLeighS
    KristiLeighS Posts: 112
    Options
    losing it for both reasons.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just health. I'm too darn old to worry about my looks any more!

You don't look like an old dog at all.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    For health. On my last doctor appointment, he quizzed me to see if I would recognize the signs of a heart attack. That convinced me it was time to get serious.
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Losing it for both reasons, but the kick in the butt that got me motivated was health! My man met me at my current weight, was with me when I gained weight, and still loves me, but I felt miserable in my own skin. I have a great self-esteem as far as my abilities and what kind of person I am, just didn't like how I looked and that is what started me wanting to, but like you I would go for it, then give up, go for it, then give up. I am still struggling because I am almost 40 and have had a lifetime of bad habits I'm slowly breaking, but this time I'm not giving up, because my health depends on it. :) Good luck to you!
  • biswas
    biswas Posts: 5
    Options
    I am losing weight for vanity and for health. I want to feel good and fit into more of my clothes!
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Definitely both. I'm still of feeling terrible. I also want to be able to fit into some cute clothes which don't come in plus sizes.
  • Ulfgard
    Ulfgard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am training for the zombie apocalypse!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My first reason is for health. My mother is obese and so is my grandmother. They have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. And growing up I always saw my mom dieting and it never worked because one it was this really old fashioned crazy diet and two she didn't exercise at all. I know that I missed out on doing things with her. I don't want it to be like that for me and my children. BUT eventually when I lose all the weight I need, I want to tone up for vanity reasons.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I am training for the zombie apocalypse!

^ Oh, yeah. That too. :devil:
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I am doing it for both.. I'll be honest! Mostly for vanity though.. I do know (family history) that if I don't get it under control while I still can then my health will be horrible.. but right now my health is totally fine so my main reason is I want to look good/ feel good. I want to make my body into something that I can say I worked for and be proud of.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Definitely started out for health reasons but after a lot of compliments, vanity is getting more important.
  • KristiCastro27
    KristiCastro27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My entire life it has been all about vanity, but I am trying to shift my focus and make it about being healthy. I want to feel good on the inside so that it just shines on the outside. It's hard to switch your focus and reasons solely from vanity to health, but I know if I am healthy, I will look better--the two are kind of a two-for-one deal. :)
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    Yes to both. Btw, you all deserve admiration for the amazing progress everyone has made, regardless of what motivates you. In this instance, the ends always justify the means. Congrats!
  • lunaticfit
    lunaticfit Posts: 1
    Options
    VANITY! Gotta get the booty back.