Help!! Low carb, weight loss stalling?

Hi everyone,
Thanks in advance for your input.
Today marks two weeks going low carb - initially it was South Beach phase 1, but then I started adopting Atkin's principles also so I'm going lower carb than SBD. I am sticking to between 25-50 net carbs per day. When I was doing about 75-80 net carbs, I was in ketosis (per urinalysis at doctor's office - alert 2+ ketones). So then I started dropping carbs and measuring my own urine, always lots of ketones.
The weight was falling off initially - now I'm not losing anything and even went up a pound?!
I'm concerned that maybe my calories are too low, so I'm stalling? It is hard to get even 1200 calories per day going low carb. Over the past few days I have tried adding more fat/calories by cooking my eggs in the grease from a real slice of bacon (rather than my turkey bacon). I'm a bit constipated, maybe that's why I'm not losing? (I've added metamucil powder as well as a senna tea) Another concern is for the past two days, my calories and carbs have been very low, so I had a sweet treat for desert. I figured i'd stay in ketosis b/c I would still have way less than 100 net carbs, so I thought it wouldn't hurt anything. But maybe my sweet treats are screwing up everything??
The only real low-carb symptoms that I'm dealing with is an annoying eye twitch, which has now become a brow twitch. I'm trying to add salt to my diet, but haven't purchased potassium or mag supplements.
ANY input is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!
-Alexa

Replies

• dannyXoxo
    dannyXoxo Posts: 60 Member
    Hello, I too am doing LC paleo and while is sounds like you have the right idea try adding bigger portions then if you feel you can't get a sufficient amount of cals, it's helped me in the past. Also you didn't mention how active you were? If your only eatting 1200 and then are active throughout the day that might be the reason for the stall. One thing I try a d do when I need more cals and fat is tAke a tbs or 2 of coconut oil. It's 0 carb and will help you reach your fat and total cal
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    After taking a peek at your food diary, I'd suggest that you definitely ditch the sweet snacks (replace with something like the "fat bombs"...there's a thread here on the forum about them) and up your fat intake overall. I've found the best success this time around with low carbing by keeping calories and fat intake up and keeping my carbs down to 20-30 a day.

Also, is there a reason that you're using egg sub instead of real eggs? I'd eat the real thing and definitely use pork bacon instead of the turkey bacon. Just these changes would get your fat and calorie consumption up, which I suspect you may need to do to get your scale moving again. I know, I know...it goes against all logic to INCREASE your calories to lose, but I speak from experience when I say sometimes this is exactly what you need to do. Having said that, I'm also a huge proponent of only eating when you're hungry..not according to some sort of preconceived meal plan. And when you're not that hungry, make sure that whatever you do eat is higher in fat and calories.

The great thing about low carb is the appetite dampening effect that it has, which is wonderful. But there are still days when I am ravenously hungry (not craving, just hungry) and on those days I will eat whatever low carb options I want in whatever portions I want to make the hungries go away. Then the next day, I might not eat much of anything because I'm not hungry at all.

It all evens out. :-)
  • alexalaurel
    alexalaurel Posts: 27
    Hello, I too am doing LC paleo and while is sounds like you have the right idea try adding bigger portions then if you feel you can't get a sufficient amount of cals, it's helped me in the past. Also you didn't mention how active you were? If your only eatting 1200 and then are active throughout the day that might be the reason for the stall. One thing I try a d do when I need more cals and fat is tAke a tbs or 2 of coconut oil. It's 0 carb and will help you reach your fat and total cal

Thank you for your input. I have been meaning to buy some coconut oil after all the good things I have been reading about it. I'm pretty active during the day, haven't had much time for organized cardio or something like that, but I run a horse farm so I am constantly mowing, mucking stalls, hauling 50 lb bags of feed, hauling a wheelbarrow, etc. If I'm not doing that then I'm running around at my real job in the Emergency Department, so I'm always on my feet. I will up my calories and fat and see what happens. Thank you again for your time!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    If increasing sodium didn't work, it might be potassium. I know mine is low when I start getting the eye twitches.

I would definintely think, with your amount of activity, that you would need more fuel. Avocadoes are another good source of fat - they're a little more carby, but a lot of it is fiber, too. And potassium!
  • alexalaurel
    After taking a peek at your food diary, I'd suggest that you definitely ditch the sweet snacks (replace with something like the "fat bombs"...there's a thread here on the forum about them) and up your fat intake overall. I've found the best success this time around with low carbing by keeping calories and fat intake up and keeping my carbs down to 20-30 a day.

Also, is there a reason that you're using egg sub instead of real eggs? I'd eat the real thing and definitely use pork bacon instead of the turkey bacon. Just these changes would get your fat and calorie consumption up, which I suspect you may need to do to get your scale moving again. I know, I know...it goes against all logic to INCREASE your calories to lose, but I speak from experience when I say sometimes this is exactly what you need to do. Having said that, I'm also a huge proponent of only eating when you're hungry..not according to some sort of preconceived meal plan. And when you're not that hungry, make sure that whatever you do eat is higher in fat and calories.

The great thing about low carb is the appetite dampening effect that it has, which is wonderful. But there are still days when I am ravenously hungry (not craving, just hungry) and on those days I will eat whatever low carb options I want in whatever portions I want to make the hungries go away. Then the next day, I might not eat much of anything because I'm not hungry at all.

It all evens out. :-)

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I will check out the fat bombs thread now. Regarding the egg whites & substitutes, it's pretty much just a habit - I've always been used to trying to eat low cal and low fat, so it's kinda odd to be on the other end of things :) My budget is tight so I will need to use up what I have, but then I will definitely switch to the "real" thing. I will find other ways to up my fat intake in the meantime.
    Just wondering - when you say that some days you don't eat much of anything if you aren't hungry, does that mean that you will fall below 1200 calories some days?? Or do you still try to meet a minimum calorie value? Just wondering if I should try to eat at least a certain amount of calories, or just "follow my gut" and if I'm not hungry, don't eat. THANK YOU!
  • alexalaurel
    If increasing sodium didn't work, it might be potassium. I know mine is low when I start getting the eye twitches.

I would definintely think, with your amount of activity, that you would need more fuel. Avocadoes are another good source of fat - they're a little more carby, but a lot of it is fiber, too. And potassium!

Thank you!! Do you increase your potassium with a supplement, or just by eating potassium-rich foods? Thanks!
  • tru2one
    Just wondering - when you say that some days you don't eat much of anything if you aren't hungry, does that mean that you will fall below 1200 calories some days?? Or do you still try to meet a minimum calorie value? Just wondering if I should try to eat at least a certain amount of calories, or just "follow my gut" and if I'm not hungry, don't eat. THANK YOU!

Nope, never below 1200, but the quantity of food isn't much, just higher cal. Coffee w/ lots of heavy whipping cream. A small BLT salad w/ generous mayo. An egg fried in butter, then drizzled w/ the butter from the pan after cooking. A protein shake made w/ cream. That sort of thing. It's fairly easy to keep your cals up if you're not afraid of fat like we've all been brainwashed over the years to be.

I'm not talking about sitting down w/ a cube of butter and calling it lunch, mind you, just don't be afraid to incorporate healthy fats on a daily basis. Your appetite will be curbed, your skin, hair, and nails will thank you, your energy level will improve, you'll think clearer...the list goes on.

Oh yeah, and the scale will probably start moving for you, too. :-)
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Nothing wrong with egg whites and turkey bacon. Atkins doesn't shy away from saturated fats but does want you to strike a balance with mono and polys.

Check here for their position:
    http://www.atkins.com/Science/Articles---Library/Fats/Atkins-Position-on-Saturated-Fat-.aspx
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member

Thank you!! Do you increase your potassium with a supplement, or just by eating potassium-rich foods? Thanks!

Forgot to link:
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/

Mg I supplement, but I have for years for muscle tension in my back.

Potassium I eat potassium-rich foods - the supplements only come in 99mg form, whereas a handful of spinach has like 400mg, lol. So I try to eat more spinach, avocadoes, cabbage, etc. I eat a bit more carbs than you, so I also do sweet potatoes, bananas, and coconut water to get more potassium when needed.

Edit: I also do some V8 juice for a sodium/potassium kick! Tomatoes are also a good source of potassium.
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Congrats on starting LC!

If you look around Dr. Eades site (the link Shar sent you), you'll come across some great medical info about LC. One that I just recently read was about reducing nuts and cheese to break through a stall (http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/weight-loss/low-carb-and-calories-2/). It doesn't look like either are a big problem for you, it's just something to keep in mind as you expand your LC food choices.

Coconut oil is a great way to add fat and calories. Your fats look a little low at 55% or so. Adding some coconut oil, and/or heavy whipping cream will help you boost that number. Also, for only $5 you can download the Fat Fast Cookbook, by Dana Carpender, Kindle only: http://alturl.com/7hawh. She has awesome high-fat, super yummy foods. Most are 200-250 calories. I have a Coco Cocoa Fat Bomb each day! Takes like a Reese's Peanut Butter cup, which might help with your sweet tooth (I have one too).

Your protein also looks like it might be too high. Excess protein will be converted to glucose, and not help you with your weight loss. Dr. Eades has a book about finding the right protein number for your body. Here is a great calculator though: http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp?Submit=Close. If you focus on keeping carbs low, hitting your protein number, and add fats in to keep macros in check (65/25/5), you should be great!

And if you're interested in reading more about how using the right protein number helps us to lose, check out Jimmy Moore's n=1 experiment: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/n1
  • tru2one
    Congrats on starting LC!

If you look around Dr. Eades site (the link Shar sent you), you'll come across some great medical info about LC. One that I just recently read was about reducing nuts and cheese to break through a stall (http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/weight-loss/low-carb-and-calories-2/). It doesn't look like either are a big problem for you, it's just something to keep in mind as you expand your LC food choices.

Coconut oil is a great way to add fat and calories. Your fats look a little low at 55% or so. Adding some coconut oil, and/or heavy whipping cream will help you boost that number. Also, for only $5 you can download the Fat Fast Cookbook, by Dana Carpender, Kindle only: http://alturl.com/7hawh. She has awesome high-fat, super yummy foods. Most are 200-250 calories. I have a Coco Cocoa Fat Bomb each day! Takes like a Reese's Peanut Butter cup, which might help with your sweet tooth (I have one too).

Your protein also looks like it might be too high. Excess protein will be converted to glucose, and not help you with your weight loss. Dr. Eades has a book about finding the right protein number for your body. Here is a great calculator though: http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp?Submit=Close. If you focus on keeping carbs low, hitting your protein number, and add fats in to keep macros in check (65/25/5), you should be great!

And if you're interested in reading more about how using the right protein number helps us to lose, check out Jimmy Moore's n=1 experiment: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/n1

This is all awesome information. When I first started low carbing back in the late 90's there just wasn't the info available regarding the ramifications of overdoing your protein. I would stall or gain and have no idea why it was happening to me, as I was faithful in my carb intake. It wasn't until just recently that I learned about how my body handles too much protein (much the same way as it handles an over-abundance of carbs...fat storage). I'm absolutely loving what I'm discovering about LCHF and a keto based way of eating. I started out years ago as an "Atkid," but feel like the info available now is taking the whole concept of low carbing to the next level for me.
  • alexalaurel
    Congrats on starting LC!

Wow, thank you SO much for your feedback!!! I am all over this, NOW! I really appreciate all of the support and useful responses that I have received, so thank you!!
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Wow, some really good and useful info. Glad I clicked on this thread, great links!
  • loves03
    loves03 Posts: 73 Member
    Wow I didn't know that excess protein will be converted to glucose. I did Atkins in 1999, so its been a while! I did the health calculator and it said the minimum protein I should have should be 66 grams. Is there a way to find out what the maximum amount of protein I should be having.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Bump
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Wow I didn't know that excess protein will be converted to glucose. I did Atkins in 1999, so its been a while! I did the health calculator and it said the minimum protein I should have should be 66 grams. Is there a way to find out what the maximum amount of protein I should be having.

I'm not sure if Dr. Eades covers that in his book PPLP (Protein Power Life Plan: http://alturl.com/5676x) or not, but it might be worth checking out. Just from reading his blog, he has a formula based on your height, etc. that works through how much glucose your body actually needs, how much of that comes from minimal carb intake, and how much protein you need to provide the remainder of the glucose. He mentions that there's a chart in the book. Of course, he probably doesn't want to give that info away for free. I haven't ordered it yet.

And as you know not every formula works for everyone. You'll read all sorts of theories about how much you need, from 0.7-1.7g/pound of bodyweight. I've also read that you could calculate based on lean body mass (LBM), or 1/2 gram for every pound, or 1/2g for every pound of goal weight. It can all be so very confusing.

My only suggestion is that if you find yourself stalled, it's one component you could look at to breakthrough.