Answering Questions

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Nice to see I am not alone, but not as brave as you in sticking my head above the parapet

I have deleted "friends" and blocked posters who can only post using expletives, no need for it IMO

I also note we are much same age, possibly a generational thing? However that is not a reason we should tolerate such language

Dear OP. Please take this posters advice. I mean not the part about "not tolerating such language" because the idea that the way you were raised means you somehow have a right to tell the rest of us what words we can and cannot say is ridiculous.

But by all means. Block and delete. This is how adults on the internet deal with things they don't like.
    Yes.
    putain de bordel de merde.

I do it with class
    :heart: :drinker:

Words only have power if you allow them to. Just because certain words hurt your "virgin ears", doesn't give you the right to demand that others not use those words. We're all adults here.
    Yes.

The more I think about it the more offended I am that someone thinks they have the right to tell me what words to use.....
    I guess I look at it this way, If it offends you, ignore it. It may offend someone else that you're telling them to not do it. I understand that some people don't care for it, but seriously, if you watch television, it's there, do you contact the television stations and tell them the same thing or do you just change the channel?
    Same here. Can I make a thread telling people not to tell me what to do/say now?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Even more offensive than profanity is people posting threads in the wrong forum. For example, a thread about profanity/language has nothing to do with "General Diet and Weight Loss Help", and doesn't belong in that forum.

Foxy.gif
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    I guess I look at it this way, If it offends you, ignore it. It may offend someone else that you're telling them to not do it. I understand that some people don't care for it, but seriously, if you watch television, it's there, do you contact the television stations and tell them the same thing or do you just change the channel?

^^^This

I'm not sure if "everybody else is doing it" is the best defense.

It's not an "if everybody else is doing it" defense. It's more of a "I'm sorry it bothers you, but it's probably not the first time or the last time you're going to hear it" defense. If it really bothers someone that much that another person is using foul language, the option to leave or ignore it is there. Her telling everyone to stop it is rude and implies that she feels her feelings are more important than others who feel they need to use foul language. It's a matter of expression, deal with it. She's chosen to express herself by telling people to stop it. It's a two-way street.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Please people, please stop using questionable language on the board. Some people are offended by what you say so lets keep it clean. Thank You - I suppose you are going to tell me if I don't like it, go somewhere else - well I just might do that.:angry:
    Please define "questionable"
  • Bajiggity
    Bajiggity Posts: 88 Member
    :angry:
  • Trixxie90
    Trixxie90 Posts: 32 Member
    Good to know we're safe with *kitten*!

lol yup!

I personally like twatwaffle and douchecanoe

I use Douchecanoe daily.. it's unCanadian to use anything else.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    george_carlin_540.jpg

^^ Would like to have a word, or seven, with you OP.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    george_carlin_540.jpg

^^ Would like to have a word, or seven, with you OP.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LOVE this!!!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member

Edited to censor myself :explode:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Not exactly sure what language you mean, as all curse words are filtered out by MFP.

**** **** ***** **** *kitten*

^^^see?

*eta - hahahahah, guess not ALL of them

I was gonna say the same thing, but *kitten* isn't generally a word I use on a daily basis. It is a funny word, though!

giggle_zps0706b6b0.gif
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Even more offensive than profanity is people posting threads in the wrong forum. For example, a thread about profanity/language has nothing to do with "General Diet and Weight Loss Help", and doesn't belong in that forum.

Foxy.gif

I find her expletives very offensive. :love:
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    53848-welcome-to-the-internet-gif-3Vtq.jpeg
    I cannot see this thread ending well

Rofl!!

Second.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I love all the people who are worked up over this thread and telling the OP to ignore the profanity if it bothers her so much. Hmmm... irony much?
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Cursing is not allowed on MFP. Most of the "bad words" are blocked from appearing and can earn you a strike if you try and go around it to use the language as an insult towards somebody. Simply report such language.

However, since foul language doesn't appear on the main forums often, I will assume you're talking about things that aren't really offensive. Are you going to tell me that if I say "you have a really nice *kitten* from doing squats" in reply to a success story would be offensive?

I mean, we're adults so if I use the word butt instead of *kitten*, in that context, you should know that there is no real difference?

So really, why are you so easily offended? I find many things offensive too mind you. My solution. I suck it up because just because I'm offended by something doesn't automatically make the other person wrong. I raise my voice when the other person is wrong.

Wait a sec. Why is *kitten* allowed, but not my former name (cupcake*****)?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Cursing is not allowed on MFP. Most of the "bad words" are blocked from appearing and can earn you a strike if you try and go around it to use the language as an insult towards somebody. Simply report such language.

However, since foul language doesn't appear on the main forums often, I will assume you're talking about things that aren't really offensive. Are you going to tell me that if I say "you have a really nice *kitten* from doing squats" in reply to a success story would be offensive?

I mean, we're adults so if I use the word butt instead of *kitten*, in that context, you should know that there is no real difference?

So really, why are you so easily offended? I find many things offensive too mind you. My solution. I suck it up because just because I'm offended by something doesn't automatically make the other person wrong. I raise my voice when the other person is wrong.

I am said you didn't change it to 2grls1cupcake
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member

I am said you didn't change it to 2grls1cupcake
    My hand was forced to make a quick decision. I regret not going with 2grls1cupcake now.:sad:
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    .How long before the OP makes her profile private or just flounces away? bets ?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Please people, please stop using questionable language on the board. Some people are offended by what you say so lets keep it clean. Thank You - I suppose you are going to tell me if I don't like it, go somewhere else - well I just might do that.:angry:

Please, do not allow the door to strike you on the hind quarters as you exit. Thank you.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    I love all the people who are worked up over this thread and telling the OP to ignore the profanity if it bothers her so much. Hmmm... irony much?
    The fact remains that while, yes, everyone could ignore this thread if it bothers them, OP is on a high horse pretending that her feelings are more important than everyone else's freedom to express their feelings. There's a difference between the OP in here and everyone who is saying that she doesn't have a right to tell everyone else how to express themselves.
This discussion has been closed.