Gluten-Free Vegan Recipe Swap

2»

Replies

• Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    I'm new to GF but have been a vegetarian for 23 years. I'm really looking for some lower carb/higher protein options.

I made some Sweet Potato Chick Pea Koftas last night -- they were amazing!

1 1/2 cup cooked Sweet Potato (1 med sweet potato)
    2 cups Garbanzos
    6 Tbls GF flour ( I used 3 Tbls Almond flour/ 3 Tbls Quinoa flour)
    1 Tbls Minced fresh Ginger
    2 Cloves Garlic
    2 tsp Cumin
    2 Tbls fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup soybeans

In food processor, blend all ingredients except flour and soybeans. Transfer to bowl and stir in flour and soybeans. Form into patties and over medium heat, saute in olive oil for about 8 minutes each side (until lightly browned and heated through). My batch made 14 small patties. I ate two with a yogurt raita on top. Yummy! This recipe was modified from Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven.

These sounds so good! I want to make them, perhaps with some soy raita? I lived in India for six months, and back then I was just vegetarian, not gluten free vegan-- and I practically lived on raita (and naan, oh god the naan...)! I am also a HUGE sweet potato fan, so yea!
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Cheesy Spaghetti Bake

1 spaghetti squash
    2 cups Pasta Sauce
    4 tablespoons raw cashew cheese

Puncture the spaghetti squash and bake it whole at 375 F for an hour. (Or you can quarter it and bake rind side up about 30 to 40 minutes) let it cool and carefully cut it to remove seeds, drag a fork along the inside to release the 'spaghetti' shreds into an oven safe dish and top with pasta sauce and cheese, stick it back in the oven bake for about 10 minutes or so.

Makes 4 servings (that reheat pretty well if you stick them in a toaster oven) about 205 calories each (depending on what you put in your cashew cheese.)
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Outstanding recipe: vegan, gluten-free, low-salt and easy to make. Tasty, too. I highly recommend this as a way to get more vegetables. Even my carnivore hubby likes this. It's from "Eat to Live" by Dr Joel Fuhrman (excellent book and really works). Lots more interesting and tasty recipes in that book. I highly recommend the book, too. Enjoy!

Golden Austrian Cauliflower Cream Soup
    Serves: 4
    Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 head cauliflower, cut into pieces
    3 carrots, coarsely chopped
    1 cup coarsely chopped celery
    2 leeks, coarsely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest (or other no-salt seasoning blend such as Mrs. Dash, adjusted to taste)
    2 cups carrot juice
    4 cups water
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 cup raw cashews or 1/2 cup raw cashew butter
    5 cups chopped kale leaves or baby spinach
    1 tablespoon curry powder (optional)

Instructions:
    Place all the ingredients except the cashews and kale in a pot. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender. Steam the kale until tender. If you are using spinach there is no need to steam it; it will wilt in the hot soup.
    In a food processor or high-powered blender, blend two-thirds of the soup liquid and vegetables with the cashews until smooth and creamy. Return to the pot and stir in the steamed kale (or raw spinach).

(Chopped up asparagus is also great in this recipe!)
  • lisabinco
    Thanks for that recipe. So simple yet quite tasty. Made it yesterday and my grandson like it, too. I use spaghetti squash as a pizza base instead of dough, and sometimes I use polenta as the crust (think I got that idea on this site!).
  • jeninfl
    jeninfl Posts: 20 Member
    I've been vegetarian for 16 years and gluten-free for over a year. This is my favorite recipe. It is vegan and gluten-free. Everyone I've made it for (meat eaters and non-gluten-free friends) absolutely love it, too. I usually serve it over jasmine rice or quinoa.

African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
    1 medium-size green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 large garlic clove, minced
    2 teaspoons light brown sugar or natural sweetener
    1 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
    One 14.5oz can crushed tomatoes
    1 1/2 cups Basic Vegetable Stock
    1 1/2 cups cooked or one 15oz can dark red kidney beans, drained
    2 tablespoons smooth natural peanut butter
    1/2 cup chopped unsalted peanuts

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and garlic, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the sweet potatoes and stir to coat. Stir in the tomatoes, stock and salt to taste. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes. About 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir in the kidney beans and simmer until heated through. Place the peanut butter in a small bowl and blend in about 1/4 cup of the broth, stirring until smooth, then stir it into the stew. If a thicker consistency is desired, puree 1 cup of stew in a blender or food processor and stir back into he pot. Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with the chopped peanuts and serve with rice. Serves 4-6
  • lisabinco
    This sounds delicious. Thanks for posting! I am always on the lookout for tasty recipes for the holidays. I try to serve good vegetarian fare that exemplifies how tasty non-meat dishes can be. I'm already starting to plan my Thanksgiving meal menu which will feed a variety of carnivores, omnivores and a very few vegetarians.
  • slwernet
    slwernet Posts: 3 Member
    I've never bought seaweed. When I look for it in the store, will it be dried in a plastic package and will it be called 'seaweed?" or is it like spices in a bottle or jar? Thanks! I want to try your recipe!
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    I've never bought seaweed. When I look for it in the store, will it be dried in a plastic package and will it be called 'seaweed?" or is it like spices in a bottle or jar? Thanks! I want to try your recipe!

Seaweed either comes in a large plastic package with wet seaweed and sand, or dried in large squares (sushi wrapper size), or in very tiny strips (for miso) it should be in the 'international' aisle of a grocery store or in Asian grocery stores. It will be labeled seaweed, Nori, Kombu, Wakame, or Spirulina.
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Is it true that the issue with oats and gluten is just cross-contamination? I'm not gluten free, but I try to limit my gluten intake. I have this muffin recipe that I love. I made a dozen every Sunday, and then my husband and I eat one for breakfast every day.

2 cups rolled oats
    2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (or other milk)
    1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
    1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1/2 tsp vanilla

You can of course do raisins or nuts instead of chocolate chips, but I like my little bit of chocolate! I just mix everything together, cooking spray a cupcake pan, fill, and bake for 30 or so minutes at 350 degrees F.

P.S. I'd love friend adds, particularly if you have a calorie goal of 1650-1800. I'd like to see how I can be less gluten-ous!
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    I made this today and loved it!

Tomato Swiss Chard Cannellini Bean Soup (vegan homemade):

Sautee 1 medium yellow onion in 1 Tbsp olive oil.
    Add 1 large can (32 oz) of crushed tomatoes with basil.
    Add 2- 15oz cans of cannellini beans.
    Add 1 container or 3.5 cups sausage style crumbles (I used Wegmans – Don’t Be Piggy).
    Add ½ vegetable bullion cube to 1 cup warm water and try to break up/dissolve the cube.
    Add the following spices to the water: ½ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, and 1 Tbsp dried parsley.
    Add the water-spice mixture to the pot and also add 2 additional cups of water.
    Add 1 bunch Red Swiss Chard or 3 cups chopped (stems trimmed off) and simmer covered on medium-low for about 20 minutes.

Mine came out to be 12 cups, so I made it 8 servings at 1.5 cups each.
    Per serving: 220 calories, 28g carbs, 5g fat, 16g protein
  • Aimbly
    Aimbly Posts: 2
    I just joined this group today and am so thankful for all the delicious sounding recipes! I'm not vegan (yet), but recently turned vegetarian and have been gluten-free for about a year. I'll report back on any recipes I try! :)
  • Aimbly
    Aimbly Posts: 2
    Is it true that the issue with oats and gluten is just cross-contamination? I'm not gluten free, but I try to limit my gluten intake. I have this muffin recipe that I love. I made a dozen every Sunday, and then my husband and I eat one for breakfast every day.

2 cups rolled oats
    2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (or other milk)
    1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
    1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1/2 tsp vanilla

You can of course do raisins or nuts instead of chocolate chips, but I like my little bit of chocolate! I just mix everything together, cooking spray a cupcake pan, fill, and bake for 30 or so minutes at 350 degrees F.

P.S. I'd love friend adds, particularly if you have a calorie goal of 1650-1800. I'd like to see how I can be less gluten-ous!

Yes, oats are naturally gluten-free but they can become contaminated on the processing equipment. At least that is my understanding. Trader Joe's sells gluten-free oats! But I often just eat regular ones because my sensitivity is not extreme.
  • lisabinco
    I made this dish for Christmas dinner and it was well-received by carnivores in attendance. I personally loved it. It's from an old Vegetarian Times cookbook I use often for family get-togethers. I omitted the salt and cut back the oil and I'm glad I did; no one noticed. It's quite low-calorie if you're careful with the olive oil and is pretty filling. I'll definitely make this again.

Green Beans with Mushrooms Marsala (p. 133, Vegetarian Times 1998 "Complete Thanksgiving Cookbook" Harvest of Side Dishes) - Serves 6 1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
    1 tbsp olive oil (I used 1 tsp)
    1 clove minced garlic (I used jar minced garlic, @ 3 cloves worth)
    1 pound white mushrooms (could use brown mushrooms) sliced 1/8-in thick
    1 tsp salt (I used no salt)
    1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    1/4 cup sweet Marsala wine (or sherry or cheap white wine)
    1/4 to 1/2 cup slivered raw almonds (optional)

Steam green beans (I steam my veggies in a rice cooker.) till crisp-tender.
    While beans are steaming, heat oil in skillet and add garlic, stirring till garlic is cooked through but not brown. Add mushrooms, stirring till mushrooms begin to brown, @ 7 minutes. Add seasonings and wine (or sherry); stir. Continue cooking till alcohol evaporates, @ 2 minutes.
    Place steamed beans in a serving bowl (or serving plate). Pour mushroom mixture over the beans. Sprinkle slivered almonds on top. Serve immediately.

Per Serving: 80 cals.; 3g protein; 3g fat; 11g carbohydrates; 0mg cholesterol; 393mg sodium; 4g fiber
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Question regarding gluten free oats. So regular oats have no gluten but they may have touched other gluten grains?
  • jordanveach2016
    jordanveach2016 Posts: 8 Member
    Yummly is a great app to find recipes catered to your preferences. I'm lactose intolerant rather than vegan, but tend to eat a lot of vegan foods due to 'better safe than sorry.' Just wanted to share - I've come across some amazing recipes on there that make cooking gdf/gvx simple!
  • rosieposiesrl
    rosieposiesrl Posts: 27 Member
    <3 SEED BREAD (Quinoa & Chia) - Cheap, Easy & Yummy! <3
    I Soak My Quinoa & Sprout It For 1-2days 1st ;)
    I Substitute ACV for Lemon Juice (Allergies)

Recipe:
    https://thehealthychef.com/blogs/Recipes/gluten-free-bread