Preggers Question!!!!!!!!!!!

oy, 1st trimester dumb-dumbs---to lose weight, I was eating 1600-1700 calories per day. Now that I'm preggers and hungry, I'm still exercising 5-7 days a week (switched to 8 pound weights instead of 15-16 pound dumbbells and doing cardio for 30 minutes a day)..... is it okay that I upped my calories for the day to 2000? I only want to gain 15-25 pounds while pregnant..... I'm 5'6 and 215 pounds : )

Replies

• blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Well first no one can *kitten* if this is okay as we don't know what your height, weight or anything is pregnant or not!
    A good rule to go by is listen to you body and don't run your pregnancy by calories.
  • twingirlsmommy
    twingirlsmommy Posts: 111 Member
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    5'6 and I'm 215 lbs.

Even with this info, it isn't possible for any of us to know your TDEE, and that's your starting point. From the medical advice given to friends of mine in your situation, I'd be going with TDEE minus 100 calories, at this point (TDEE + 100 or 200 by 3rd trimester). It's more important to make sure your choices are nutrient-dense too, though. Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy. :flowerforyou:
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    During pregnancy you need an additional 300 cals in the first trimester, 350 cals in the second and towards the end of pregnancy an additional 500 cals. I would think you would figure out your TDEE(what you would eat to MAINTAIN your current weight) and add the extra amount of cals onto that number. Eat that number each day.
  • Athena98501
    During pregnancy you need an additional 300 cals in the first trimester, 350 cals in the second and towards the end of pregnancy an additional 500 cals. I would think you would figure out your TDEE(what you would eat to MAINTAIN your current weight) and add the extra amount of cals onto that number. Eat that number each day.

These estimates are higher than what I've read, but at best, they might be close to the recommendations for someone who isn't morbidly obese.

http://www.mamashealth.com/pregnancy/pregcalories.asp
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    I found this, it takes into account your personal details and your lifestyle, all you have to do is to make sure you enter that stuff correctly.

Cant verify myself of how accurate it is but it as the very least consistent and logical.

It will be about the best you will get I think as even midwifes differ on opinion.

The link is = http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm
  • Athena98501
    I found this, it takes into account your personal details and your lifestyle, all you have to do is to make sure you enter that stuff correctly.

Cant verify myself of how accurate it is but it as the very least consistent and logical.

It will be about the best you will get I think as even midwifes differ on opinion.

The link is = http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

I tried this to see what it came up with for me, because I have a very good idea of what my maintenance is (per my BodyMedia FIT). The recommendations for the 2nd & 3rd trimesters were fairly close to the range for my maintenance calories 2500, and 2700. This was with me over-estimating my exercise to account for my normal activity level (I fall into the moderate activity level without any true exercise). The first trimester recommendation would put me at a 300-500 calorie deficit.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member

These estimates are higher than what I've read, but at best, they might be close to the recommendations for someone who isn't morbidly obese.

http://www.mamashealth.com/pregnancy/pregcalories.asp

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/eating-well/pregnancy-diet/calories.aspx

That is where I posted from, but those numbers do seem on the higher side. I have three children but I won't pretend my experience is any help because I ate whatever I wanted each time. :blushing:
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    While all answers are well-intentioned, I recommend checking with your doctor re: diet and exercise plan.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    While all answers are well-intentioned, I recommend checking with your doctor re: diet and exercise plan.
    this.

you are able to exercise while pregnant. I just finished family and maternal nursing. Exercise during pregnancy has been shown to be beneficial mentally, physically, and for the baby.

Eating at a caloric deficit is not advised.
    Talk to your doctor/ OB nurse in regards to diet.

Dont ask a bunch of people online about something like this
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    this.

you are able to exercise while pregnant. I just finished family and maternal nursing. Exercise during pregnancy has been shown to be beneficial mentally, physically, and for the baby.

Eating at a caloric deficit is not advised.
    Talk to your doctor/ OB nurse in regards to diet.

Dont ask a bunch of people online about something like this

^this

cept I am not a nurse...i teach piano.