Week 6... scared!

Im doing week 6 day 2 tomorrow morning, day 1 was so so hard.

Any tips?

Replies

• johnlatte
    johnlatte Posts: 50 Member
    Day 2 was pretty easy. It is basically 2 ten minute run blocks with a walk break in between. I've been stuck there for a few days now. Day 3 is 25 minutes of running without a break, and I can't seem to get it done. You'll be fine.
  • Kassandra772
    Kassandra772 Posts: 52 Member
    You will do great! Mind over body, except of course if you feel pain then body of mind lol. I "run" pretty slow just so that my body could get used to running. I just finished the C25K program and I was always trying to run fast, until I realized that I could accomplish a run if I slowed down. I am not working on speed because I'm comfortable running for a long period of time now.

Feel free to add me :)
  • Kassandra772
    Kassandra772 Posts: 52 Member
    I forgot to add, If you're feeling uncomfortable I always just repeat a day until I feel like I can do the next run.
  • SMCLosesIt
    SMCLosesIt Posts: 45 Member
    You can do it! you must have just done week 5 day 3 with the 20 minute run - if you could do that then you can do this :)
  • silverbelle69
    silverbelle69 Posts: 14 Member
    I am right there with you!! Week 6 is intimidating to me! What I have learned is I am so much stronger physically than I give myself credit for. For me, it is all mental. I have to talk myself into starting, and talk myself into continuing. My body is feeling fine, but all the hard work goes on in my head. I go back and forth between focusing on my form, to focusing on my breathing, to listening to the music, to talking to myself. I say you can do this, and this is your new normal. So far I have been able to do it, so I just gotta get out there and get it done. I want to be a graduate. (even if I don't progress from there)

You can do this!!!!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    What program are you using? Most of them have w5d3 as the 20 minute run and w6d1 as two 10 minute runs with a walk in between. Some of them, however do w6d1 as the 20 minute run and others don't have you put together a longer run until the end.

However, assuming that you have the most common version:

I can guarantee you that it will be the same amount hard as everything you've done so far. Running really only gets challenging up to a point. If if gets more challenging than that, you know what to do: slow down. This is not a race. There is no place you have to be.

You got out there and completed day 1 - for about 50% of people that was the hardest day.

You got through weeks 3 and 4, so you learned how to slow down and pace yourself.

You may have even completed a 20 minute run (that's where the other 50% experience their maximum challenge), so you have learned to push through those first 10 difficult minutes until keeping going becomes easier.

In the next few weeks, with the longer intervals, you will find your natural form and become more efficient. It's not going to get a lot easier, but you will start naturally getting a little faster and it will be no harder.
  • likitisplit
    Day 2 was pretty easy. It is basically 2 ten minute run blocks with a walk break in between. I've been stuck there for a few days now. Day 3 is 25 minutes of running without a break, and I can't seem to get it done. You'll be fine.

Slow down. Put some music on. Concentrate on anything else but the fact that you are running.

If you are on a treadmill, point a fan so that it's blowing directly at you.
  • aims_86
    aims_86 Posts: 74
    Thanks everyone for your lovely helpful responses :)

This morning I went out and did Week 6 Day 3 & had to stop twice.

First time my podcast went off by itself - I use NHS Choices btw, I'm in the UK. I listen to the music on there & find myself singing some of them out loud when I get home ! Stopped for about 2mins after 5mins running so I could reset the podcast to the right place.

Second time was a mental block, I just had to stop. Walked for about 90 seconds, could have been more. Got my breath back and then set off again.

I ran then until the end; even when I waited to cross the road, I jogged on the spot. I continued running when she told me to stop, just another 200 yards or so just to feel better.

I walked for 5mins at the end then ran for 2mins at a faster pace and then for 1min up hill before walking home.

Felt good, but now wondering should I repeat the 3 podcasts or keep going with week 7 until I can run for the full 25mins?
  • likitisplit

Second time was a mental block, I just had to stop. Walked for about 90 seconds, could have been more. Got my breath back and then set off again.

If you had to get your breath back, it wasn't a mental block. Your body slowed you down because you were outrunning your ability to get enough oxygen to your muscles. Don't push yourself at all right now.