BodyMedia - accurate or not?

smwooley
smwooley Posts: 133 Member
I was thinking of getting the BodyMedia fit band. I love technology, and it's semi-driving me crazy not to know exactly (or close to exactly) what I burn everyday in terms of calories. So, for those of you that use the BodyMedia, do you like it? Does it seem accurate? Pros and cons?? Thanks for any input! Oh, and importantly....is it worth the money?

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    I have the same questions and will watch for responses. I think I was looking at the BodyMedia Fit...(or something like that...link?)
  • tahinilove
    tahinilove Posts: 72 Member
    I've got one but still too scared to believe the numbers on it! I think a lot of people trust them though!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Love mine and trust the numbers.
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    I've got one but still too scared to believe the numbers on it! I think a lot of people trust them though!

Anything in particular you like or don't like about it? I don't know of anyone that has one....
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    definitely accurate, and i trust the numbers completely. i wear both the fitbit and the bodymedia link, and although the numbers are a bit similar, the bodymedia has always been more accurate for me since it reads my body.

theres nothing i dont like about it...well, other than if someone touches my left arm and they feel it...and always ask what it is. but thats about it.

i know exactly how many calories i burn and when, how many steps i take, and what my calorie deficit should be to lose whatever amount i choose. even on days when i have a cheat, i know im still within my caloric deficit, so i always feel better about it.

its all about cals in/cals out, and its helped me tremendously with my weight loss. highly, highly recommended.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    I've been wearing mine for 2-3 months and I still don't trust the numbers that tell me I burn 3500-4k a day (I do work out pretty intensely 6 days a week), so I could possibly burn that much. i still eat about 1600-2000 a day though. I couldn't imagine eating 2500-3000 every day, and I lose on average about 2-2.5 lbs a week right now. I love it though.
  • ital13
    ital13 Posts: 5
    Just got mine last Friday. Used it all weekend around the yard and love it. Wore it all day at work today and find that I'm burning way more calories then myfitnesspal gives me credit for. Not sure if I would go and eat all those extra calories but it makes me feel better and really motivates me to keep moving to reach all the goals in the Bodymedia app. Honestly a great product. I've actually convinced my mother in law and my boss to buy one just showing them a quick demo.

Good luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to message me.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    I'm wondering, how would you know that it is accurate? Without some fancy medical equipment, it seems to me like you'd only know after long-term weight loss (or gain, I suppose), and only then if you are religious about keeping your food diary accurate.

I'm not saying that it's not accurate. I it is, I'm very impressed that someone was able to find a simple heuristic that approximates actual calories burned.
  • Quix82
    Quix82 Posts: 99 Member
    I don't own one but from everything I've read.... I think I'll be buying the Bodymedia Core 2 when it comes out in August (?)
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    i'd say they are consistent with over-estimating TDEE. i gained with my previous BMF. no way i could eat 2500+ a day to lose!
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    I'm wondering, how would you know that it is accurate? Without some fancy medical equipment, it seems to me like you'd only know after long-term weight loss (or gain, I suppose), and only then if you are religious about keeping your food diary accurate.

I'm not saying that it's not accurate. I it is, I'm very impressed that someone was able to find a simple heuristic that approximates actual calories burned.

Someone did a test of Fitbit, BodyMedia Fit and a few others. The report is here: http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    I've been wearing mine for 2-3 months and I still don't trust the numbers that tell me I burn 3500-4k a day (I do work out pretty intensely 6 days a week), so I could possibly burn that much. i still eat about 1600-2000 a day though. I couldn't imagine eating 2500-3000 every day, and I lose on average about 2-2.5 lbs a week right now. I love it though.

The article that I posted above shows that BodyMedia Fit is fairly accurate, but Fitbit is the most accurate. I have been eating to my Fitbit calories PRECISELY for the last 7 weeks and other than about 2-3 pounds of gain (which I'm sure are just glycogen replenishment in my muscle tissue, not fat gain, since my Body Fat % has gone down over the last 7 weeks), I have been eating between 2300-2800 every day and I have not gained an ounce. So if you truly are burning 3500 a day, I'm sure if you ate that you would not gain. I plan to start cutting soon, but I won't cut that drastically, just down 15-20% below my TDEE burn at the most. (And yes, it is hard to eat that many calories, LOL)
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member

Interesting write up. Note, though, that this reviewer makes no attempt to show how accurate the BodyMedia Fit is for measuring calories burned. This review simply assumes the BodyMedia is exactly correct, and then takes points off the other devices for not being the same. They make no attempt to verify the BodyMedia was right in the first place.

Good stuff about the pedometer features, though.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member

Interesting write up. Note, though, that this reviewer makes no attempt to show how accurate the BodyMedia Fit is for measuring calories burned. This review simply assumes the BodyMedia is exactly correct, and then takes points off the other devices for not being the same. They make no attempt to verify the BodyMedia was right in the first place.

Not sure about references but the BMF has already been tested to be above 90% accurate in medical testing.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    there is no way fitbit is more correct. many times i have readings from fitbit that are obviously wrong...like climbing 500 stairs! calories are often higher too. i read this happens since it read the wind, and it was EXTREMELY windy that day.

also, the bodymedia is FDA regulated and considered a Class II medical device. heres some info i found online about the bodymedia 2:

BodyMedia Reveals New CORE 2 Arm Band

1/7/2013 2:28 PM ET
    BodyMedia has launched its new health monitor arm band device the Core 2. The first word of the new band broke earlier this month when the company revealed rendered images of the device. They have now released prototype images and more data about its functions.

The new Core 2 boasts an impressive selection of features including three-axis accelerometer, temperature, heat flux and galvanic skin response sensors. The features combine to give users an accurate reading calorie burned throughout the day and can also identify sleep patterns.

The new band uses Bluetooth 4.0 to sync with the BodyMedia mobile app and web portal. Their users can import data from the band to their own personalized page to track progress in fitness and weight loss. Thus far there is no official price for the new band, but BodyMedia says it will sell at around $150 with replaceable sensor patches selling at $50 each.

ETA: video of new Core 2 at CES:
    http://oktrackme.com/fitness-tracking/bodymedia-core-2/
  • catgee
    catgee Posts: 9 Member
    I received my BodyMedia link armband three weeks ago and I am down 9.5 pounds. I love it as I am usually a very slow loser. (That sounds terrible, you know what I mean!) I have found that it has made me 100x more aware of my day. I will get off the couch in the evening for a round or two around the block if I'm short on steps/calories burned. Knowledge is power!!! I love having my stats right there on my phone to check my progress. It really is an eye opener, I would recommend it highly!
  • ck1223
    ck1223 Posts: 21 Member

Not sure about references but the BMF has already been tested to be above 90% accurate in medical testing.

http://www.bodymedia.com/Professionals/Key-Publications/Am-J-Clin-Nutr-2007857429-

There's a link. It also looks like 93-94% accurate.

This is the best video I have ever found on youtube explaining it's ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyGfdt2S9Wo

I own the CORE, and the LINK. I don't like the core because I don't like having to wait till i'm home to read the calories burned. The LINK is a better fit for me.

Anyway, it is highly accurate. The problem is when people see they're burning less than some other device shows them, people think it's wrong because they can't believe all that hard work burned so little.

I hear some HRM's are within 25%... I own 2 Polar HRM's, an old F5 model, and the newer RS300x. I think the RS300x i spretty accurate as it has a simple VO2max test built in.

I hear that the new Garmin HRM's are withing 90%. Only a few models have the "Beat to Beat" of "FirstBeat" whatever it's called lol, Energy Expenditure tech. I own an older Garmin 305, which I love due to it's GPS ability + Interval options. Where's the whitepaper on the new Garmins http://www.firstbeat.fi/userData/firstbeat/download/white_paper_training_effect.pdf

http://www.firstbeat.fi/consumers/heart-rate-monitors/garmin-heart-rate-monitors
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I complete trust my BMF's numbers. I have eaten what it tells me -15% for over a month and I have seen significant progress. It says I burn anywhere from 2400 to 3000, and I have eaten according to those numbers, and have not gained.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    To my knowledge, it is the most accurate calorie tracking device on the market. I used the Bodybugg (made by the same company) and it was extremely accurate...I followed the numbers to a T and tracked my intake and reached my goal a couple weeks before my goal date. My mom, dad, dad's wife and husband have all used it and had amazing results. Everyone I have spoken to who has tried various other devices has told me they are a pain in the butt and their results were not so great...they eventually ended up with a Bodybugg as well.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    wow Core 2 is much more fashionable and smaller! might upgrade!!

I have the BMF link.. I like it...

I like data,, this gives you about as much as you can get...

There is no way for any of us, unless we are scientists, to claim that it is accurate or not.
    How will you prove that you didn't burn what it tells you? Honestly, what do you have to compare it to...you just have to trust the science.

The thing is.. if you use it consistently, and use the data to modify your caloric intake based on your activity, You may have to tweak up or down depending on how your body is responding.. but the thing is to use it and use it constantly to know more about your body and how it responds to calorie expenditure and intake.