Bulletproof Coffee

Replies

• Hello, All,

Well, this thread has been about done to death, so of course I'm going to add my 2 cents!

The last couple of nights I've just been dragging! The tiredness hits me at work, and just doesn't go away. And the dinners I've been eating at work (I don't get a lot of time, but I work 3-8 PM, so I need to eat during that time) have mainly been protein shakes with some pork rinds an olives.

So tonight, I decided to try my own version of the bulletproof coffee. I didn't have any cocoa powder, but I did have some vanilla flavored coffee. I used 12 oz of that, with 1 tb of coconut oil and 2 tb of butter (don't have grass-fed, so I used plain ol' ordinary butter), and 1 packet of artificial sweetener (I still had 1 left in my allowance of 3), and blended them up. I was going to take it to work and sip it there, but I gave it a taste, and it was pretty good, so I just drank it all before leaving. I cut my dinner down, tonight, to just the protein shake and olives.

And, I'm not dragging tonight :smile: (and wasn't throughout my shift).

Now there are a lot of things going on, after all, I just started induction on Monday, so it may just be that I finally crossed that hump into getting fully used to fat metabolism. Or the coffee may have contributed. I think I'll definitely experiment with it some more. If I can't get to sleep tonight, I'll use decaf next time. But I'll definitely use this one again.

Thanks for sharing it :happy:

Tom
  • Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    I've got to try this......
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    I'm definitely trying this. I have an appt. this morning but I will head to Bed Bath & Beyond for the Aerolatte (unfortunately can't use my Nutribullet to make because hot items can damage unit) and then Trader Joe's for the grass fed butter. I have the organic Nutiva virgin coconut oil in my cupboard. I've been on vacation this week and I wish I tried it earlier, but I'll see how it goes over the weekend. I start work at 5 am and my breakfast is a "nutriblast" with spinach, carrots, chia seeds, hemp protein, flax meal, almond milk and coconut oil. This usually ends up being around 450 cals which include my 2 cups of coffee with light cream. I usually eat a snack mid morning and have my lunch when I get home (around 1-2 pm). I'm interested to see if I can get through the morning without a "snack". I don't like the grazing that I've been doing - maybe this will help.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Since this is back on the top of the forum...

If you can portion it out into containers, this works great for travel. You never have to worry about a "safe" keto / low carb breakfast. My husband and I are going away for the weekend, and are taking 4 little packs of the butter, oil, cocoa all pre-mixed. We we can just add these to any cup of coffee, which is always available. We have the travel aerolatte (same as the regular - it just has a case).

This is my guide for making these bulletproof coffee portion packs. It really does work awesome.
    http://imgur.com/a/YYLwF

Basically it's:

1 package kerrygold butter
    10 tablespoons coconut oil (140 grams by weight) ***** I now use 5 tbsp coconut oil, and 5 tbsp MCT oil
    1/2 cup cocoa powder
    1 tbsp vanilla extract

Melt the butter and coconut oil in the microwave. Add the cocoa powder and vanilla, and thoroughly whisk until incorporated.
    Evenly portion into 10 lidded containers (I like "2 oz jello shot cups", available on Amazon). Refrigerate.

Then when you make your coffee, pop out the portion pack into your mug (I do this the night before so it'll be softened in the morning - but you don't have to). Add any sweeteners (I also add Prebiotin for fiber, and Davinci Syrup, because it's yummy). Pour in about 2/3 your coffee. Mix with the aerolatte. Then add the remaining coffee. And Voila!

Mine's right around 300 calories. I sip it throughout the morning, and usually finish just a bit before lunch.
  • rhondatn
    rhondatn Posts: 29 Member
    Just made my first cup of bulletproof coffee! First impressions: if using Keurig maker, get a strong coffee and make the largest cup setting. The Aerolatte is a must as I'm pretty positive I could not mix this very well without it. The taste is really good and I think using the grassfed butter, although expensive, makes it very creamy. I will post again later with an update!
  • rhondatn
    rhondatn Posts: 29 Member
    I know this thread is old for some, but the coffee is new to me and man is it good! New observation is that a good organic coconut oil makes a huge difference in taste!
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    I have been doing a variation of bullet proof coffee for a while now.

I use the large cup setting on the Kurig and use what ever flavor I pick up

10oz coffee
    4 Pumps of SF Davinci or Torani flavor (depends on the coffee flavor)
    1tbsp Raw Honey
    1tbsp unsalted butter
    3tbsp of coconut oil

after it is in the magic bullet cup I add a scoop of chocolate or vanilla whey powder and blend it well. then put it in a cup with
    3tbsp of heavy whipping cream.

If you want to cut out carbs don't add the honey. The only reason I add honey is I am in maintenance and am trying to do 100 to 120 carbs a day on the days I work out.
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    I don't think this thread ever gets old. Love all the ideas that are so different from mine.

I need to look into that mixer thing everyone is talking about, would really help blend the coconut oil into the coffee, I just drink it floating on the top, it's not horrible but it could be better.
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    I mix the oil, butter and cocoa together, then put it in a small Tupperware container. It cools and becomes solid. I get a Grande Starbucks medium roast drip coffee and spoon the mix into it. It melts and I stir it together. Then I stick a straw through the lid of the cup and have breakfast :-)

This is a great idea!
    I am going away for an archery and axe throwing competition on the 8th of June and will need something low carb for breakfast rather than popping in to Macca's on the way each morning!
    Do you heat the butter and coconut oil or just smoosh it together?
    How is your weightloss going?
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    I just put my 12 oz. of coffee in the blender with 1 tb. extra virgin organic coconut oil, 1 tb. organic unsalted butter and blend on high until it looks creamy. It is so amazing! Anyone who hasn't tried it blended needs to! I used to put heavy whipping cream in my bulletproof coffee before I started making it in the blender, but it doesn't need it now because it is just as creamy once blended and has a wonderful frothy foam like a latte.

It's true on the coconut oil, good quality really does make a huge difference in the taste when making bulletproof coffee.

Also, a little tip, Costco is awesome for buying everything you need for this. They sell a huge 78oz. tub of Nutvia Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for $21, they sell organic unsalted butter, good organic coffee, and old style heavy whipping cream.
  • alexalaurel
    alexalaurel Posts: 27
    Just had my first serving this morning. It was yummy! And didn't make me feel bad at all.
    However, I feel super jacked up! And I am definitely a coffee drinker, so I don't feel like it's just the 12 oz of coffee that I had!
    I had it at 6:10 am, and 4.5 hours later, I'm not hungry in the slightest.
    Mine had 405 calories and 43 g of fat :-)
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    I have to try this. It sounds like decaf might work for me in the evening when I am often the hungriest. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
  • alexalaurel
    alexalaurel Posts: 27
    Update: Drank my BPC at 6:15AM, and didn't feel hungry at all until 12:15PM. FULL of energy. However when 12:30 pm struck, I was FAMISHED! Next time I will eat around noon so that I don't feel so empty!
  • baristanatorLL
    baristanatorLL Posts: 34 Member
    Bump-a-roo!
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    bump
  • angieshubin
    angieshubin Posts: 99 Member
    Going to try the butter. I use coconut oil and heavy cream in my coffee currently.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    I just went out and bought some organic butter. I found the Kerrygold, but it says reduced fat??? so I hope that is okay. I guess I am a hillbilly when it comes to coffee. Someone mentioed get a "quality coffee" so the beans don't have mold. I don't know what that is??? I just drink Folgers. Do I have to get beans and ground them? and if so, how do I know they don't have mold?

Also, I spent a year learning to love black coffee.... getting rid of the cream and artificial sweetener. So this kind of worries me that I can even go backwards. But I am going to try.
  • baristanatorLL
    baristanatorLL Posts: 34 Member
    I am excited to try this. Tomorrow morning is the big day!
  • angieshubin
    angieshubin Posts: 99 Member
    I added the butter today!

Butter, Coconut Oil, Heavy cream and coffee. It was pretty tasty! Not to mention how full I was until after lunch time and I still have a ton of energy.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    I just went out and bought some organic butter. I found the Kerrygold, but it says reduced fat??? so I hope that is okay. I guess I am a hillbilly when it comes to coffee. Someone mentioed get a "quality coffee" so the beans don't have mold. I don't know what that is??? I just drink Folgers. Do I have to get beans and ground them? and if so, how do I know they don't have mold?

Also, I spent a year learning to love black coffee.... getting rid of the cream and artificial sweetener. So this kind of worries me that I can even go backwards. But I am going to try.

The reduced fat Kerrygold should not be used. If not Kerrygold in the silver foil package, look for any unsalted butter from grassfed or pastured cows.

I don't think you'll find the coffee in your standard grocery stores. the guy that invented the whole BPC, sells a mycotoxin-free coffee on his website. We've made it both with k-cups and regular ground coffee. Doing a fresh grind doesn't do anything. The molds they refer to occur before the roasting process is even done.

not sure I understand the worry. The purpose of this is to give your body a boost of healthy fats. Definitely not going backwards