Any other MFPers fasting for Ramadan?

Tomorrow the month of Ramadan begins. I will be fasting from sun up until sun down every day for a month. Any other MFPers out there doing this as well?

Replies

• Aamilah
    Aamilah Posts: 62 Member
    Are You Muslim???? I am and Yes tomorrow is the start of the bless month!!!! So excited!!!!!
  • beautyqueen1979
    beautyqueen1979 Posts: 151 Member
    I'm not, but my boyfriend is :) he doesn't have an account but lives through mine (he uses it to count cals on paper!). He is stressed because it's the first Ramadan where he is actually exercising and trying to eat healthy (it is new to both of us), and doesn't know how he will cope. Also this year the days will be the longest he has fasted for (we live in Ireland) so he won't be able to eat until half nine at night. When I first meet him it fell over winter and he could eat by half five! Good luck, I'll check in with you, because I know how difficult it is, and can only imagine how hard it is to maintain weight loss during the month. I'm here for support if you need it!!!
    <3
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Yes, I am Muslim. It is going to be long days for sure. Ramadan Kareem to you :)
  • renau2e
    renau2e Posts: 8
    I'm Muslim as well and I'm very nervous about fasting this time around. I normally gain weight during Ramadan (thanks to enormous family feasts almost nightly! lol) so I am scared to gain any of the weight I lost back.

I also have my sister's wedding just under 2 weeks after Eid, so I need to maintain my weight in order to fit into my bridesmaid dress!!! :p

How do you all plan to keep up with your diets and exercising??
  • lina1131
    Last year I managed to lose 6 pounds during Ramadan. This is my second Ramadan while on MFP. Basically, I break my fast to a glass of orange juice (to get some sugar in your blood before eating. I don't know if it is necessary, but it seems right so I do it lol). There is usually a salad, a soup, main course, and dessert. Last year I loaded up on salad (and soup, depending on the kind of soup) and had the main course until I was full. I did not eat dessert. If I did, it was a bite just to satisfy my sweet tooth for the evening or I just ate a piece of fruit.

Unfortunately it is too hard to exercise while fasting, so the gym is on hold for the month. It is very important to jump right back in there after Ramadan though!

Just eat sensibly and only until you are full. A lot of people seem to overdo it just because they haven't eaten all day and stuff themselves until they are miserable. I think if you just eat until you are full and drink plenty of water, you should be fine.

I will be happy if I at least maintain.
  • Aamilah
    Aamilah Posts: 62 Member
    Yes, I am Muslim. It is going to be long days for sure. Ramadan Kareem to you :)

Alhamdulillah!!!

As-salaamu Alaykum, May the All Mighty accept ur Ramadan Ameen!!!!! This is my fourth Ramadan And Alhamdulillah I can't complain; It has been so great. It is so nice to meet another Muslimah Alhamdulillah!!!!!
  • lina1131
    wa-alaykum issalam! Very nice to meet you. :)
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Even though I'm not muslim, I used to do this with my college roommate. He was from The Gambia Africa so I just fasted with him so he didn't have to do it by him self. Also I know it would suck for him to be sitting in our dorm room and I am munching down pizza and hot wings.

BTW he was the greatest person I've ever met in my life. Knowing him definitely changed my life.
  • lina1131
    Even though I'm not muslim, I used to do this with my college roommate. He was from The Gambia Africa so I just fasted with him so he didn't have to do it by him self. Also I know it would suck for him to be sitting in our dorm room and I am munching down pizza and hot wings.

BTW he was the greatest person I've ever met in my life. Knowing him definitely changed my life.

What a great person you are! :heart:
  • Sinda
    Sinda Posts: 13
    I am too!! Glad to have met you guys~ I was raised muslim so this isn't my first ramadan, but it's my first while trying to lose weight. I'm sure it'll be fine though. Good luck everyone. :)
  • renau2e
    This is so great that there are so many of us on here!

Lina1131- Your plan sounds exactly like what I want to do. I still want to try to exercise at night though. I hope to break my fast with a small meal on days I want to work-out ... exercise (either the 30 Day Shred, or I run up the 30 flights in my apartment building :p) and then come back to eat another little meal afterward. I hope it works!

By the way, I hope nobody takes offence to my ticker! It is NOT my body ... just my face cropped onto another body off of faceinhole.com! haha I find it funny :p
  • afgooch
    afgooch Posts: 17
    Ramadan Mubarak!!!!!!
  • lina1131
    Good Morning!

Well it's day one. I hope you all have a very smooth and peaceful day. I am feeling very good this morning even though I didn't wake up for suhoor and have some water and food. I find it easier to fast if I don't eat before the sun comes up. Weird, huh?

:heart:
  • renau2e
    I'm the same way, I may wake up for a glass of water, but if I eat then I am SO much more hungry during the day!

I hope you all have a wonderful, blessed Ramadan!
  • lina1131
    Same to you :)
  • I am...Ramadan Mubarak everyone!

Its great to see all of us unite even on here :bigsmile:
  • lina1131
    How did everyone do on their first day. Dinner last night was so good. I ate until I was full and didn't over do it.

I was up half a pound. :grumble:

TRYING to focus on other things though because losing weight is not the point of fasting. Aggggh. :laugh:
  • Sinda
    Sinda Posts: 13
    Ramadan Mubarak everyone~ I'm currently on my TOM so I feel like I'm cheating, but it can't be helped. I feel so bad when everyone else is fasting while I can't.
  • lina1131
    Ramadan Mubarak, Sinda!
  • renau2e
    My first day went really well ... I hit about 5:30pm and I started to watch the clock until it was time to break my fast! lol Same with today ... I suppose it's because I am cooking and feeding my children around that time, so I get very hungry!

Isn't it great how AMAZING food tastes once you eat at the end of the day?? Mmmmm!

I didn't overdo it and ate until I was full, but not over-full. Surprisingly, I was down 1/2 a lb this morning! Woo hoo! I don't count on seeing that often during Ramadan, but it made me smile this morning :-)