I was reading posts, and i saw...

Hello!
i was reading posts and i saw people saying that
they have alot of calories left! is that bad?
i would think it would be good because your
eating less.. but they said that its unhealthy to
have more left, and they want ideas to eat..
can somoen please explain ! :)

Replies

• Hello!
    i was reading posts and i saw people saying that
    they have alot of calories left! is that bad?
    i would think it would be good because your
    eating less.. but they said that its unhealthy to
    have more left, and they want ideas to eat..
    can somoen please explain ! :)
  • gbwiman1
    gbwiman1 Posts: 1
    I can not say for sure, but some reasons for the slow steady wieght loss that your daily calories allow for would be: If you eat too few calories it becomes difficult to maintain the vitamins and miinerals you need to be in good health. Also, if you eat too few calories a higher percentage of weight loss will be muscle mass. Lastly, If you consistantly eat too few claories when you reach your taget weight the liklihood of regaining the weight is higher.

On the whole, I dont believe a day here and there with too few calories is a bad thing, as long as proper nutrition is maintained, and as long as it is not the norm.

Hope i helped a little.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    You seem to misunderstand the basics of this site.

MFP takes what you need every day based upon your daily activity level and then recommends how many calories you should eat to lose a certain amount of weight per week.

SO, you have a deficit of calories already built into your daily eating schedule. If you go below (eat less) than what MFP tells you to, then you are depraving your body of food--which means depraving it of what your body needs to survive. Doing this on a regular basis WILL cause physical harm to your body and actually keep you from losing weight.

So, the answer to your question is now, you don't want to see calories left over in your food diary at the end of the day. AND EAT THE EXTRA CALORIES YOU GAIN FROM EXERCISING, TOO!

And, yes, it works--you will lose weight this way.
  • Hi Katie

We need enough calories or our bodies go into starvation mode and it's even tougher to drop weight.... not to mention.... we're not eating enough for good nutrition.

Good Luck!! :heart:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    The poster above is right. MFP figures your daily calorie needs, less a 250 cal deficit. EAT ALL YOUR ALLOWED CALORIES. and if you exercise, eat those extras. This might be hard to believe, but by doing what this site tells me to, even though I only wanted to lose half a pound a week, here is how my weight loss is going:

With 45 minutes of exercise 3.5 times per week (because I go every other day religioiusly), I have had the following weight loss progress entries in the last 5 weeks.

My ticker says 5 lbs lost. In five weeks. :laugh:

I am thrilled that I am finally under 170 lbs. It's miraculous.

Eat all your allowed calories, and NO CHEATING, and you will lose weight. I figure it this way. My exercise calories give me the wiggle room I need to have a cookie now and again (my will is made of iron; I am not tempted to eat more than the one I allow myself the luxury of).

For me, it's almost like I have not made any major changes in the way I eat except that I add fibrous vegetables, which I can eat like a pig at a trough (nice visual, I know, hehe).
  • Oh huh. I understand now, thanks
    so much to postinn and just clearing that all up
    and congrats to russia1513 on loosing all that !
    thats awesome, and i hope i will be able to do the samee
    :smile: