Hi, I am new here and hope this is going to be Great!

I am not sure how this will read or what I am supposed to say but I guess I will start with what I hope will be an insparation to others and myself.
In 2006 I finally got fit, I looked GREAT! But I was struck with cancer and during my struggle with that I gained back all of the weight I lost (50 pounds). I tried at first to keep working out and stuff, but it was too hard for me and just fighting cancer was enough. So I am starting from scratch now with an advantage, I know I can do it!. (At this time I beat the cancer!)
I started Jogging again but I am just getting to where I can jog without walking but maybe once. I jogged 4 miles this morning (A mile more than yesterday or all last week) and I am just so excited about that. Up until the last few days I had no real weight accomplishments to speak of. I have been bouncing between 173 and 178 for the last 2 months, but now I think this morning I will get below the 173 mark and that is a big beginning. :bigsmile:
The hard part for me now is watching everything I eat! I did so good a couple years ago, but it was a training process and I am afraid I don't remember how I got myself to eat less. So I am hoping this page and just keeping track of my calories and my work outs will do the trick.
I can give one bit of advice that I have come to be aware of. I have a treadmil, and I love it! But for the person who wants to loose weight, Get out Side! And Early in the Morning! Running on a treadmil is great, to get you started, but when you start running on the street and the dirt, in a matter of weeks you will notice how far you can go. I never ran in my life before 2005. I didn't even run in school as a kid. But as a 40 year old, I love it. I program my music and just listen to a good selection of faster music and run. I am running slow right now, like only 4 miles per hour, but last week it was about 3 miles per hour average. Before the Cancer I was running 6+ miles every other day easily in an hour and that is a lot of caleries! It takes a while to get into, but if you really push yourself and keep trying every time to get up out of bed and get on the tennis shoes in the morning, that is the biggest hurdle and in no time it will be worth it.
43 pounds for me to go, lets do it!
I hope my story will enspire others and together we will loose the weight and all be healthy!

Replies

• I am not sure how this will read or what I am supposed to say but I guess I will start with what I hope will be an insparation to others and myself.
    In 2006 I finally got fit, I looked GREAT! But I was struck with cancer and during my struggle with that I gained back all of the weight I lost (50 pounds). I tried at first to keep working out and stuff, but it was too hard for me and just fighting cancer was enough. So I am starting from scratch now with an advantage, I know I can do it!. (At this time I beat the cancer!)
    I started Jogging again but I am just getting to where I can jog without walking but maybe once. I jogged 4 miles this morning (A mile more than yesterday or all last week) and I am just so excited about that. Up until the last few days I had no real weight accomplishments to speak of. I have been bouncing between 173 and 178 for the last 2 months, but now I think this morning I will get below the 173 mark and that is a big beginning. :bigsmile:
    The hard part for me now is watching everything I eat! I did so good a couple years ago, but it was a training process and I am afraid I don't remember how I got myself to eat less. So I am hoping this page and just keeping track of my calories and my work outs will do the trick.
    I can give one bit of advice that I have come to be aware of. I have a treadmil, and I love it! But for the person who wants to loose weight, Get out Side! And Early in the Morning! Running on a treadmil is great, to get you started, but when you start running on the street and the dirt, in a matter of weeks you will notice how far you can go. I never ran in my life before 2005. I didn't even run in school as a kid. But as a 40 year old, I love it. I program my music and just listen to a good selection of faster music and run. I am running slow right now, like only 4 miles per hour, but last week it was about 3 miles per hour average. Before the Cancer I was running 6+ miles every other day easily in an hour and that is a lot of caleries! It takes a while to get into, but if you really push yourself and keep trying every time to get up out of bed and get on the tennis shoes in the morning, that is the biggest hurdle and in no time it will be worth it.
    43 pounds for me to go, lets do it!
    I hope my story will enspire others and together we will loose the weight and all be healthy!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    First let me say congrats for beating cancer that is a huge accomplishment in it its self-- Now welcome to MFP- just to give you a heads up its addicting but in a good way :wink: -- Its so easy to use and the support from others is great-- welcome
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    first off welcome to the family... You are such a strong willed person you can and will get to your going. :)
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Congratulations on beating the cancer! I have a sister and friend who luckily did too.
    Don't worry about watching what you eat, cuz this site is just fantastic at doing that job for you!
    It was such an eye opener for me to see the numbers as they added up everything I was putting in my mouth!
    I've got a thyroid problem, and hadn't been able to lose weight, (only gain it!) until a friend told me about this site. In the last 10 weeks, it's "PRACTICALLY" been easy to lose the 20 pounds I've lost so far!
    And with all the running you do (walking and dancing are enough exercising for me!) you'll have the weight you want off in no time!
  • I am not sure if this is where I say thank you for your welcomes, but Thank You! It actually almost brought a tear to my eye, but I am emotional like that.
  • He he he. I see now where I say thank you. I will learn this stuff and then show my daughter, she usually shows me stuff.
    Thank you again for the encouragement. It means a lot.
  • Thank you so much, I am sure it is going to be great!