Ankle weights - what effect will they have?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
So, I've been thinking about purchasing myself a set of ankle weights and wearing them all day, every day. I remember in high school a lot of basketball players did this because it helped increase their jump height. Would this increase tone in my legs? Cause my legs to bulk up?

It just seems like its an easy way to get some extra exercise in without really thinking about it.

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    So, I've been thinking about purchasing myself a set of ankle weights and wearing them all day, every day. I remember in high school a lot of basketball players did this because it helped increase their jump height. Would this increase tone in my legs? Cause my legs to bulk up?

It just seems like its an easy way to get some extra exercise in without really thinking about it.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    you'd be carrying more, hence you'd be burning more calories but I don't know if they would have an effect on making your legs more muscular.
  • angyltears
    angyltears Posts: 57
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing, but also adding the little wrist weights, since I walk around all day and move my arms all the time I was hopeing it would help. lol let me know how it works for you if you start the ankle weights!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My husband used to go skiing and the boots can be very heavy, he told me that it gave him stronger ancles and calves....
  • angyltears
    angyltears Posts: 57
    Options
    I went out to the big 5 sporting store and I bought a pair that are a total of five pounds... I went for a walk with the dog and I really felt the extra weight after just 10 mins... I feel like my thighs got a better workout! :tongue:
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    I used to use them when I was a cheerleader. When I would practice jumps and stuff, it would help me get more height. Now a days I use them in my step aerobics class when I want more of a challenge. I feel like they help with the muscle tone in my legs, but who knows?