Can you reccommend a good book for me?

Replies

• nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    The Kitchen House. I could not put this one down. I even got up during the night to read it.
  • I recently read The Aviator's Wife and really enjoyed it. It is fiction, but based on the true story of Charles Lindbergh's wife and as far as I can tell the research was well done and the historical aspects were quite accurate. I picked it up at the library without quite knowing what it was but it was a nice surprise.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    I agree. Good book.
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    My all time favorite book is Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman. I highly recommend this. It changed my perspective on life!!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    The Bible

"The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel
  • The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller is GREAT!!! It is the story of the Trojan War as told by Achilles's companion, Patroclus. If you like or love The Iliad, you will really love this book!
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    The Man Who Ate the 747, by Ben Sherwood

I don't know if that will cross into 'romance' for you, but it's about a man who is eating a Boeing 747 that crash landed on his property to prove his love for a woman. I picked up the book because it was in the dollar section at Target a few years back, and it was a good read.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    I just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and really enjoyed it. It is *about* children, but by no means *for* children. Military science fiction that was really ahead of its time when written (in 1985). I found it to be a quick read, as well.

If you're into Arthurian tales, I'd recommend The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It puts a twist to the traditional tale by telling the story of King Arthur through the eyes of Morgaine, Viviane and Gwenevere. One of my all time favorite novels.
  • crystalreaves2
    crystalreaves2 Posts: 37 Member
    Sherrilyn Kenyon has a series that is beyond amazing not teem at all mixes mythology(Roman, Greek, native American all in differeent books) and gives a whole new life to the vampire mythos while giving you romance in every book. Its the dark hunter series and should keep you busy for a while as there are 20 something of them. I haven't gotten bored with them yet and ive reread them 3 times in the last year. Reading order is on her website and make sure to read the dream hunter series mixed with it.
  • servalan
    servalan Posts: 22 Member
    I like Margaret Attwood and classics as well.

Have you read the Claudius books by Robert Graves?

My opinions are below - hopefully you can find some prospects. :)

Classics I Love (AKA: you've probably read this, but just in case):
    -Jane Eyre (I'm sure you've read this one, but I'm afraid not to type it)
    -North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (you can't go wrong with this author, but this one is my have)
    -****ens. 'Nuff said.

Good Nonfiction:
    -Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (her family only eats food that they have grown/has been purchased close to their home - sounds boring, but it's really good, including recipes and articles on farming policies. In my mind, this is a must-read)
    -Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss (About the food processing industry - it's not "icky", but very informative and surprisingly interesting to read. Pulitzer Prize winning author who is matter of fact, and he enjoys eating processed food himself. Not agenda driven, just good information.)
    -A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (A funny telling of his walk along the Appalachian Trail)
    -Travels by Michael Crichton (Not what you are expecting, and IMO not mass-market at all, as you would expect. Very interesting.)
    -Turn Right at Machu PIcchu by Mark Adams (Traveling in and around Machu Picchu from a relatable, non-academic perspective, but with lots of interesting details)

Good Fiction:
    -Beggars Series (3 books, starting with Beggars in Spain) or other books by Nancy Kress (Sci-Fi with a moral compass, very interesting and worthy of reading if you haven't)
    -The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (you'll either love it or hate it, and you'll know when you read the synopsis, but I was very moved by this book about a family who went to Africa as missionaries. Each chapter is written from the perspective of a different woman in the family. This book will stick with you.)
    -Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (magicians in victorian times - better than I'm selling it now)
    -The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst (strange and gripping, real and surreal in the same book)
    -Life of Pi by Yann Martel (I know this is pretty mass-market, but this book is a surprise and a delight, and is very well written)
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    It depends... what do you mean by classical? The Three Musketeers, the Count of Monte Christo, Don Quixhote, 1001 Nights and Decameron for collections of stories (don't be fooled by the disneyfied versions. the Sindbad story was quite brutal IIRC)... How about some Dostoyevski or Tolstoi or Goethe?

Ooh, Remarque! "All's quiet on the Western Front" - zounds better than that whiny drivelly Hemingway.

do you like Fantastical realism? of the modern authors I think Paulo Coelho is the best known but for my taste he's a bit... repetitive and simple. However, the oldies like Marquez (100 years of solitude), Hesse (Steppewolf) or Bulgakov (Master and Margarita) are rather awesome.

I'm a huge fan of Umberto Eco (my absolute favourite is Foucault's Pendulum) and Guy Gavriel Kay (Tigana), but a lot of people have trouble getting into the story. they're quite deep though underneath the main story. Tigana for instance is a fantasy-take on the psychology of an entire nation whose name physically cannot be spoken any more
    since this topic already exists, can anyone recommend something funny/witty?

and no, I don't mean joke books or base scatological humour.

have you ever tried the Disk World books by Terry Pratchett? They're all in the same world and some of the characters recur but all of the novels are standalones.
  • Marley2310
    Marley2310 Posts: 304
    The Power of now . Eckhart tolle
  • BeckH888
    BeckH888 Posts: 7 Member
    The Fifth Wave
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    Bump
  • rtarpley
    rtarpley Posts: 24 Member
    The first six chapters of Daniel make for excellent reading. Chapters 7-12 are also pretty good.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    I recommend you sing up for goodreads.com. You rate books you;ve read and they recommend things you might like based on your ratings of other books. If you like comedies/ sci-fi/ fantasy types, I recommend Terry Prachett's Diskworld series and anything by Neil Gaiman.
  • ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, superb series I thought, some historical information wound around a fiction story
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Florence and Giles by John Harding - a different take on The Turn of the Screw

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon
    Poisonwood Bible by Babara Kingsolver
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel
    Honour Thy Father by Lesley Glaister
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    If you can appreciate clever/funny, Douglas Adams - pick one. Terry Prachett, same thing. If you have moved to an ereader and think there's no such thing as a good zombie novel (and can overlook spotty editing) check out William Bebb's work. When reading Bebb, the characters were so compelling I often found myself wondering how I got to 100+ minutes on my exercise bike.

From the mentions further back in the thread I'd agree that Confederacy of Dunces and The Lovely Bones are well worth your time.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    OK, so I didn't read all 4 pages, forgive if I've got repeats in here…

-The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (it's the start of the Baeryn series)
    -Midnight Louie series by Carole Nelson Douglas … first book is Catnap
    -anything by Jane Austin … you've read the well know classics, but have you read Mansfield Park, Persuasion, or even Northanger Abbey?
    -if you like a bit of the supernatural, try The Vampire FIles by P.N. Elrod. They are not your typical vampire stories - think 1930s private eye vampire :laugh:
    -Magic Kingdom for Sale … Sold! by Terry Brooks
    - Alanna, the First Adventure by Tamora Pierce … this first book is aimed at a bit younger audience, but as you progress through the series, the writing "grows up." I really enjoyed the series, and all the ones that followed.