How to eat clean on a budget?

2»

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    one thing I haven't seen anyone mention...check with the store and find out when they mark down meat that is close to the sell-by date. I have often bought meat that is marked down because it is a few days from the sell by date, then I take it home and pop it into the freezer until I am ready to use it. Right this minute I have like 4 trays of chicken nuggets in the freezer--I couldn't pass them up for quick lunches for the kids. They are usually close to $5 a tray, but I got them for $1.50 a tray because they were close to date.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    I see you live in Gville well we are practically neighbors as I'm from Citra. You should try shopping at publix, they have bogo sales every week and you can use a coupon for the one your buying and the one you get free making the product even more cheaper. Also winn dixie has a lot of bogo deals on their meat. We buy whatever fruit is on sale that week but always get bananas regardless.

You can save so much just using coupons. Feel free to add me as a friend if you have anymore questions about couponing.
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    I see you live in Gville well we are practically neighbors as I'm from Citra. You should try shopping at publix, they have bogo sales every week and you can use a coupon for the one your buying and the one you get free making the product even more cheaper. Also winn dixie has a lot of bogo deals on their meat. We buy whatever fruit is on sale that week but always get bananas regardless.

You can save so much just using coupons. Feel free to add me as a friend if you have anymore questions about couponing.

yes i mainly shop at publix and use there sales, but i always end up flocking to the bad starchy foods causing my little belly to never disapear!
  • WILSONBA
    What is this "clean" you speak of? Your body has natural filters.
    Eat in moderation with what your budget allows.

clean means not processed fresh and from the earth
  • WILSONBA
    thanks everyone for all the suggestions, i am definitely taking everything into consideration and using all the advice i can get!!
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    I don't think chicken nuggest classify as "clean". Have you read what is in them? I wouldn't give that to my dog. Now, you can easily make your own and they taste much better :) Ground chicken, bread like you would anything else to fry, bake in the oven at like 350 or so for 30 min I think? Google to make sure.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    I don't think chicken nuggets classify as "clean". Have you read what is in them? I wouldn't give that to my dog. Now, you can easily make your own and they taste much better :) Ground chicken, bread like you would anything else to fry, bake in the oven at like 350 or so for 30 min I think? Google to make sure.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    I read this blog when I started on my clean eating lifestyle: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/100-days-on-a-budget/
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    I'm always so surprised (and saddened) when I see threads about clean eating on a budget and no one suggests growing some of your own food. :cry: Even if you live in an urban apartment, there are so many numerous ways to grow at least a percentage of your own foods. Many urban areas offer community gardens now too. Porches, fire escapes, balconies, and roofs can be used as small places to garden. Windowsills can host herbs. Even a certain amount of produce can just be grown in indoor pots.
    There are also bartering options with local farmers. Many of them will barter single eggs instead of eggs by the dozen, half-cups of honey, 2-3 pieces of fruit, milk by the pint, etc. in exchange for things, or even in exchange for labor. Some farms and eco-village communities will trade a whole basket of fresh food for a few hours labor each week. Some CSAs are set up this way.
    We've been growing our own food for only a year now but our grocery bill is almost half what it used to be. This year our neighbors and us are trying to grow different crops than one another so we can trade more. Our goal is to be completely self-sustaining within 5 years with no dependence whatsoever on grocery stores or utility companies.
    I think it's really important to include self-sustainability and self-reliance to any conversation about clean eating and budgeting. :smile: