HRM for strength training

weehah
weehah Posts: 81 Member
Do you ever use your hrm to figure out calories burned during strength training?

Replies

• Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Yes I do.

Calories burned during strength training workouts can vary a lot. It depends what your goals are.

If you're going for power & strength only, then you would normally rest between sets to let your body replenish ATP so you can lift more during the next set. If you're wanting to incorporate some good calorie burn and are not so focused on strictly size and strength, you could rest very little to none in between stations (or superset) and get your heart rate higher.

I find the MPF estimates reasonably accurate for scenario #1, but too low in scenario #2.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    I do too. I know there is a lot of controversy here on using an HRM during strength training, but I've been having success using the calorie burn to eat back and I'm losing consistently 1 lb/week. I usually do 30 minutes of strength training and 30 minutes of cardio for a total burn of about 450 calories, give or take. The other day I didn't have time to do cardio and just did strength that day. My burn was about 150-200 for 30 minutes, which seems pretty reasonable.