THE BIG STARVATION MODE MYTH.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I agree with you... and the only way I have ever been able to lose weight was to severely restrict my calorie intake. If I ate as many calories as some of the diets say, I would weigh 300 pounds. I have always eaten pretty healthy. Granted, I splurge on special occasions, but I am not a junk food, snack food person. I actually saw on Dr. Oz about the fat gene and I totally believe it now. My entire mother's side of her family were big people and my mother and grandmother were not big eaters. Granted, they didn't exercise much, but to weigh as much as they did, didn't make any sense.

Dr. Oz had a DNA laboratory test you could send for to test your DNA and see if your genetic makeup contained one of the "fat genes" so I decided to give it a try. Sure enough... what I thought along came back as true. It broke down my DNA and even gave the gene sequences and, in conclusion, said with my genetic makeup and the "fat gene" that I had, I had to severely restrict my calorie intake while combining it with intense exercising! DUH! While I had been saying this all along, it was a relief to finally have proof. The older I have gotten, the harder and harder it is to lose. Last year, I joined the gym and started working out 6-7 days a week for at least 1 (oftentimes 2 hrs. a day). I ate the same... since I wasn't eating much to begin with... and I did lose about 15 lbs... but after 4+ months, I was so depressed. I felt like my entire life was getting up at 4:00 am, going to work, going to gym right from work, getting home at 6:30 or 7:00, showering, grabbing a bite to eat and going to bed. I was not having any fun, let alone not spending any time with my husband. Granted, I felt really good about myself... but I wanted to come home from work and spend time with my hubby in our yard, watching the animals... I finally burnt out and now have gained what I lost plus another 8 lbs, which is sooo frustrating. I even have seen several health reports on television where the people who severely limit their caloric intake, i.e., mainly eating salads, etc., do much better health wise.

I stopped at "Dr. Oz..."
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    I think it is about being able to sustain a healthy lifestyle. Health is the key word. Oh and this is not coming from someone who can't control stuffing their face. I am at my goal weight. But I did not have to come off a diet. I changed my lifestyle which includes eating healthy and working out. So for me I don't have to overthink anything or worry about when I stop a "diet" that the weight will come back. Yes eating any kind of deficit will result in weight loss. The question is if the deficit is so big is it sustainable for life.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    dammit. people on this forum have an honest obsession with Lyle McDonald. I don't get it. He is theoretically right on everything, and has the science to back it up.

why do ppl like him so much? omg
  • DatMurse
    keep your protein intake at ~0.85g - 1.5g per lb of body fat

Really ?
    that's what my trainer/nutritionist told me, and i have only seen a+ results since.

nope

editted to say, 1.5g of protein per POUND OF BODY FAT??? lmao, could you imagione how many chickens a 350 pound person would have to eat???
    .82-1.5 per bw. it wasn't meant for an obese person. It is the safe zone in studies that showed no renal impairment

the fatter ther person is the less protein they need.

It is due to fuel availability.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Not this AGAIN
  • DatMurse
    For those of us that are trying to lose "the last 5-10 lbs," starvation mode COULD come into play. And I know people are going to be screaming at me about citing specific studies or scientific papers. However, let's just forget the science and think practically. I think most of us (who are not obese) want to be able to enjoy eating as much food as possible while still being about to lose or maintain weight. I like to call it the sweet spot. So, for me at least, the whole starvation mode argument is a moot point. I'm not looking to become a fitness model overnight. I just want to be healthy and feel good, and maybe get a six pack one day. So, I like to set my calories to my maintenance. That way I know the approximate point where I will start to gain weight.

That's just my philosophy. Take it or leave it.

lol @ 5-10 lbs.

those are single digit bodyfat numbers and your practical thinking is wron. so is your philosophy because you are refusing to listen to science.
  • misstammy123
    misstammy123 Posts: 53 Member
    Thank goodness... Someone to speak common sense. I have pondered over this for some time but u have just made my mind up. How would u shed fat if you eat back what u have burned off.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    lack of food can cause the body to go into starvation mode, or starvation response, according to an article in the March 2006 edition of the journal "Annual Review of Physiology." Starvation mode is a metabolic response to the body being deprived of food, which may occur during periods of famine or economic depression, when using a fad diet, or when suffering from anorexia nervosa. A variety of specific signs and symptoms affect those whose body has gone into starvation mode.

Physiological Symptoms

Reducing calories to a very low level prevents the body from obtaining proper nutrients and energy, according to the "Annual Review of Physiology" article. As a result, fatigue is common because the body does not have ample energy to function. The body breaks down muscles to be used as fuel as it attempts to keep vital organs like the heart and lungs functioning. Vitamin deficiency is another result of a lack of nutrients, and can lead to anemia, diarrhea, rashes, edema and heart failure. Testosterone levels decrease during starvation mode, so sexual drive also decreases. The primary drive in a food-deprived body is to eat to regain energy and nutrition, not to reproduce. In women, irregular menstruation or a complete absence of a menstrual cycle may occur.

advertisement

Depression and Anxiety

In a landmark study by Dr. Ancel Keys, published in the book "The Biology of Human Starvation", subjects who were place on a starvation diet experienced psychological changes. Depression was one such symptom. Dr. Keys found that those who ate the least calories were the most depressed. Anxiety is another psychological symptom of not consuming enough calories. Dr. Keys noted nervousness and impatience among the participants in the study. Some people even avoided eating because they were fearful of gaining weight.

Food Obsession

Food obsession is another symptom of starvation mode, as found in Dr. Keys' study. The deprived body focuses on food because it needs the energy and nutrients to survive. A person in starvation mode may spend much time talking about food, thinking about food and searching for food. In developed countries, people in starvation mode -- such as dieters or people with anorexia nevosa -- may also spend much time watching cooking shows, looking at recipes or shopping for food.

Weight Regain

According to study in the March 2001 issue of the "British Journal of Nutrition," a reduction in the intake of food leads to a reduced metabolic rate, or a decreased rate in burning calories. This decrease in metabolic rate increases as the person loses weight. Once a person begins to eat more, he often experiences increased appetite while his metabolic rate stays at a low level, according to a study conducted by Dr. Abdul Dulloo that was reported in the March 1997 issue of "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition." As a result, the person often regains all the lost weight and may even gain more weight than when the starvation started. The weight that is put on is mostly fat tissue, noted Dulloo.
  • keyariloses
    keyariloses Posts: 74 Member
    Some guys did a study

jkun81.jpg

Haha!!

lol..this..
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    For those of us that are trying to lose "the last 5-10 lbs," starvation mode COULD come into play. And I know people are going to be screaming at me about citing specific studies or scientific papers. However, let's just forget the science and think practically. I think most of us (who are not obese) want to be able to enjoy eating as much food as possible while still being about to lose or maintain weight. I like to call it the sweet spot. So, for me at least, the whole starvation mode argument is a moot point. I'm not looking to become a fitness model overnight. I just want to be healthy and feel good, and maybe get a six pack one day. So, I like to set my calories to my maintenance. That way I know the approximate point where I will start to gain weight.

lol @ 5-10 lbs.

those are single digit bodyfat numbers and your practical thinking is wron. so is your philosophy because you are refusing to listen to science.

Then break it down. I am ignorant and want to learn. Although, my philosophy has worked for me, so you're statement is irrelevant. Also, I am not "refusing to listen to science." I was merely offering a different perspective on the issue. I look into the science whenever I have a chance.

Please teach me!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Thank goodness... Someone to speak common sense. I have pondered over this for some time but u have just made my mind up. How would u shed fat if you eat back what u have burned off.

Because the calorie deficit is already in the base target amount.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Beware of the trolls!

Starvation mode is a real thing, although, it seems to be misunderstood and/or way overblown in this "community." In fact, starvation mode, or whatever you want to call it, is one of the reasons humans were such good survivors back in the days before civilization and modern technology. So, the point is the environment has to be considered. Most of us on here are most likely fortunate enough to never have to worry about where our next meal is coming from. In fact, a lot of us have more food at our disposal than know what to do with. So, as a side effect, some of us became overweight or obese. People who are very overweight and obese most likely don't have to worry about starvation mode any time soon. In fact, if you are obese and are serious about losing weight, I suggest seeing a trained professional such as a medical doctor in the field or a dietician. Don't listen to people in the internet like me! ;)

You know, I frequent another forum on the internet, it is nothing to do with dieting and weightloss but to do with conspiracies and everytime there are people replying to threads on there that others disagree with, they love to use the word "troll" and the sentence "beware of the trolls".

People who disagree are not trolls, they just merely disagree.

Now regarding the bolded bit above from your quoted post: No, starvation mode will not come into play, if it did, nobody would ever reach their goal who had stuck to their original calorie plan. You don't want science brought into the argument lest it proves your own theory wrong, no problem with that, but it is just your opinion and there is also no problem with that, providing you don't mind other people having theirs.

Regarding losing weight on maintenance calorie levels, that is pointless to me as it would keep me at the same weight as it is not a deficit. That is what maintenance level is meant to be after all isn't it - maintaining one's weight.

Yes, unfortunately there really are trolls that have nothing to do but get everyone riled up for their own entertainment. People do this in real life too. However, I have no problem with people genuinely disagreeing with me. That was not the intention of my comment. It was more just for entertainment purposes. I find it ironic that you read into it so much.

I've learned that, with some topics, arguing is pointless and a waste of time. Most people get so obsessed with being "right" that they miss an opportunity to learn something. I am not going to waste my time trying to dig up reasearch just to proved to someone on the Internet that I am "right." If you see that as a "win" then hurray for you. I have come a long way and learned a lot with this philosophy so I am fine with "losing."

And I never said that I eat at maintenance. I just set my calorie goal to that so I know to not go over. I think you missed the point. Oh well. Sorry for trying to be reasonable.

I read into it what you put into it, however, because of your choice of wording, you open yourself up to being misunderstood. Regarding the maintenance bit, you said "So, I like to set my calories to my maintenance. That way I know the approximate point where I will start to gain weight." - that is the perfect thing to do if somebody is already at maintenance, the misunderstanding came when you said first of all For those of us that are trying to lose "the last 5-10 lbs," starvation mode COULD come into play. - I therefore, thought you meant you stuck your calories at maintenance whilst still trying to lose the last 5-10lbs. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yes, some topics are a waste of time arguing about, the best thing to do is to agree to disagree.

btw nothing wrong with spending some time trying to dig up some research, it makes your opinions more credible and people will be much more willing to take the ideas on board. However, if it is something that has no credible research or scientific evidence, then it can border on bro-science and bro-science is exactly what we should all be aiming to get away from.

No offence meant and hopefully there are no hard feelings.
  • DatMurse
    Beware of the trolls!

Starvation mode is a real thing, although, it seems to be misunderstood and/or way overblown in this "community." In fact, starvation mode, or whatever you want to call it, is one of the reasons humans were such good survivors back in the days before civilization and modern technology. So, the point is the environment has to be considered. Most of us on here are most likely fortunate enough to never have to worry about where our next meal is coming from. In fact, a lot of us have more food at our disposal than know what to do with. So, as a side effect, some of us became overweight or obese. People who are very overweight and obese most likely don't have to worry about starvation mode any time soon. In fact, if you are obese and are serious about losing weight, I suggest seeing a trained professional such as a medical doctor in the field or a dietician. Don't listen to people in the internet like me! ;)

You know, I frequent another forum on the internet, it is nothing to do with dieting and weightloss but to do with conspiracies and everytime there are people replying to threads on there that others disagree with, they love to use the word "troll" and the sentence "beware of the trolls".

People who disagree are not trolls, they just merely disagree.

Now regarding the bolded bit above from your quoted post: No, starvation mode will not come into play, if it did, nobody would ever reach their goal who had stuck to their original calorie plan. You don't want science brought into the argument lest it proves your own theory wrong, no problem with that, but it is just your opinion and there is also no problem with that, providing you don't mind other people having theirs.

Regarding losing weight on maintenance calorie levels, that is pointless to me as it would keep me at the same weight as it is not a deficit. That is what maintenance level is meant to be after all isn't it - maintaining one's weight.

Yes, unfortunately there really are trolls that have nothing to do but get everyone riled up for their own entertainment. People do this in real life too. However, I have no problem with people genuinely disagreeing with me. That was not the intention of my comment. It was more just for entertainment purposes. I find it ironic that you read into it so much.

I've learned that, with some topics, arguing is pointless and a waste of time. Most people get so obsessed with being "right" that they miss an opportunity to learn something. I am not going to waste my time trying to dig up reasearch just to proved to someone on the Internet that I am "right." If you see that as a "win" then hurray for you. I have come a long way and learned a lot with this philosophy so I am fine with "losing."

And I never said that I eat at maintenance. I just set my calorie goal to that so I know to not go over. I think you missed the point. Oh well. Sorry for trying to be reasonable.

I read into it what you put into it, however, because of your choice of wording, you open yourself up to being misunderstood. Regarding the maintenance bit, you said "So, I like to set my calories to my maintenance. That way I know the approximate point where I will start to gain weight." - that is the perfect thing to do if somebody is already at maintenance, the misunderstanding came when you said first of all For those of us that are trying to lose "the last 5-10 lbs," starvation mode COULD come into play. - I therefore, thought you meant you stuck your calories at maintenance whilst still trying to lose the last 5-10lbs. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yes, some topics are a waste of time arguing about, the best thing to do is to agree to disagree.

btw nothing wrong with spending some time trying to dig up some research, it makes your opinions more credible and people will be much more willing to take the ideas on board. However, if it is something that has no credible research or scientific evidence, then it can border on bro-science and bro-science is exactly what we should all be aiming to get away from.

No offence meant and hopefully there are no hard feelings.

The funny thing is their statements were misinterpreted studies of the past. There are studies that linked to their arguments but the instruments were wrong or it was not properly conducted.

Many of the claims are followed off of old studies and we are introducing the newer studies.

If people do not want to "dig up" research then their claim is on the basis of their personal knowledge. their personal knowledge is probably a reason why they became overweight in the first place. Sometimes its better to learn from people that have a combination of success and a higher degree of education whether its self educated or college educated.

Do not enter or try to argue unless you have evidence because then you are just plagiarizing.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    How valid is anecdotal evidence? It can't be discounted, and I've seen science misinterpreted on the application level way more than I've seen broscience lead to negative results or stagnation. Don't get me wrong, I've been reading peer reviewed science and literature weekly since 2006, so I've probably read every single article that may be referenced on this site. 90% of them have no bearing in the MFP community, and therefore are irrelevant...they are impossible to apply without changing some other controlled variable that therefore renders any experimental variables less valid.

Bottom line is, metabolic "damage" is probably real, but may not be real for everyone, and definitely does not apply to everyone that's been dieting for only a few weeks or even months. It's most likely systematic in its triggering effect, and the weight loss stalls closer to the leaner bodyfat percentages. It happens over time (years)...where perhaps in your second year dieting for a show, you have to do 1 more cardio session per week..then by the fourth year, you're doing 3 more just to get to the same leanness as your first year. The true "damage" of it occurs when calories are restricted to a level that should not even be sufficient to maintain exercise and bodily processes, while further increasing cardio to see a very slow crawl to end goals.

In my personal experience, it happens more to women than men, and it happens to very fit women. Since figure and bikini competitors have to override some primal female tendency to maintain a certain bodyfat level and get sub-10%, they are exposed what I can only assume is metabolic damage. This occurs over years of dieting, usually when they have to diet down every year or even twice a year to levels of fat that are inherently not healthy to maintain...pair that with the fact that sometimes these women have shows within 2 months of each other, and therefore stay at this % for months out of the year. That is the ONLY case where calories in vs calories out seems to go out of the window to some degree.

The only way, (in my opinion) to counteract this, is to go on a long vacation from dieting...(a year at least). The metabolic processes will recoup, you will get flabby, and from there you start back at square 1 (good thing for muscle memory or you'd really be screwed).
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Was agreeing til you said bikini at sub 10%. As a coach, I can assure you a bikini competitor will be late teens, early 20s. My fiancee who does Body Fitness and much leaner, maxed out at around 13-14%.

Not sure I agree with your third and fourth paragraph either, you are guessing at this point ratuilher than using any actual science and are as guilty as anyone else.

Ever noticed people even when really nowhere near lean struggling to drop weight despite having a good diet in place? That would suggest heavy handed dieting methods before, going to low with calories.

I coach people, and esp now, a lot of women. I don't see it occur if calories are kept sensible and cardio isn't over done. This is based on experience - I've currently got 11 women on my books that I coach :smile:
  • DatMurse

Not sure I agree with your third and fourth paragraph either, you are guessing at this point ratuilher than using any actual science and are as guilty as anyone else.

Ever noticed people even when really nowhere near lean struggling to drop weight despite having a good diet in place? That would suggest heavy handed dieting methods before, going to low with calories.

I coach people, and esp now, a lot of women. I don't see it occur if calories are kept sensible and cardio isn't over done. This is based on experience - I've currently got 11 women on my books that I coach :smile:
    agreed.. women do not go into single digits... I knew this even during my first month of lifting
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    I read this. It says that there was a study done that shows that starvation mode doesn't kick in until you have 6% of body fat or below. I've included the text of the actual study and the link below

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Starvation Mode – Why You Probably Never Need to Worry About It

SEPTEMBER 9, 2011
    Starvation mode is a term that gets thrown around loosely. Many people believe that too little protein or too few of calories in a day will cause loss of muscle mass. What if I told you that it is extremely difficult to go into starvation mode until you get down to 5% body fat(10% for women)? Brad Pilon and John Barban have given me permission to give you access to the first 15 minutes of one of their paid recordings: “Starvation Mode”. Brad and John discuss surprising findings of a military study, where they purposely tried to get the soldiers to lose muscle and get into starvation mode. They found it took extreme conditions to reach this point.

Brad and John Show You How to Get Into Starvation Mode?

These guys take an interesting approach. They show you exactly what it takes to reach starvation mode. By showing how difficult it is to reach starvation mode, they destroy a lot of muscle loss myths. Once you listen to this, you can relax and not stress out about losing muscle when you are dieting and exercising to lose body fat. As you will see, you don’t even need to begin to worry about this until your reach crazy low body fat levels. Here’s that recording:

My Notes From the Starvation Mode Recording

All of this is covered in the recording, but I wanted to put some of this in text as well. You can also right click and save this recording and listen on your computer or iPod. I’ll post my notes below like I typically format my blog posts.

Why Are Brad and John Examining a Military Study?

Brad and John mainly look at a military experiment done by Karl Friedl. They point out that the military has less restrictions and can push people much harder than they can in a typical university study. There is no way this stuff would get approved by a university, but no problem for the military. In their words…To find limits to what the body is capable of, you need to dip into military research.

Step 1 to Get Into Starvation Mode—> Start Out Lean

Karl Friedl used fit and athletic soldiers with an average body fat of 14%. This is what John Barban calls “4 pack lean”. There were guys as low as 6% body fat and as high as 18% body fat. Think along the lines of a fit and muscular soldier to get an idea of the participants of this study.

Karl Pretty Much Tortured These Guys for 8+ Weeks!

Karl had these guys eat between 1,000-1,200 calories…but burn upwards of 6,000 calories per day with crazy activity levels and sleep deprivation. So deficits in the 3,000-4,000 range on some days. Average deficit was 1,200 calories per day. They trained like mad and also went through extreme sleep deprivation.

Here’s what happened during the 8 weeks (avg height 5’9″):

At Start… 167 lbs & Adonis Index of 1.4
    2 Weeks…156 lbs & Adonis Index of 1.44
    4 Weeks…152 lbs & Adonis Index of 1.45
    6 Weeks…146 lbs & Adonis Index of 1.50
    8 Weeks…140 lbs & Adonis Index of 1.52
    Note: Adonis Index refers to the shoulder circumference divided by the waist circumference. As an example, my shoulder measurement is 50 inches and my waist is 33 inches. If I divide my shoulder by my waist I get 1.51. The ideal Adonis Index is 1.61. The video below explains why a 1.61 ratio is pleasing to the eye in not just body proportions…but in art, architecture, etc.

In This Experiment, They Were NOT Trying to Preserve Muscle

The important thing to remember in this study was that they were trying their best to beat these guys down. They weren’t doing things that normal people would do while dieting, like proper resistance training. Here are some of the tactics they used to try to get into starvation mode.

Severe Caloric Restriction
    Severe Amount of Exercise
    Severe Amount of Mental Stress
    Extreme Sleep Deprivation
    Began to Lose Lean Body Mass Between Weeks 6 and 8

At around the 8 week mark a lot of guys who were in the 5%-6% range could not drop any more body fat. This is when they began to lose lean muscle. The guys who started out the leanest, reached their limits at week 6. These were the guys who lost the most amount of lean body mass.

They Didn’t Lose Muscle Just Because They Were at 5%-6%

They lost muscle because they were still having days where they were running at a 3,000 calorie deficit. Once someone reaches their lower limits of body fat percentage it makes sense to eat close to maintenance levels. This strong calorie deficit at this low body fat level also caused extreme hormone disruptions: Testosterone dropped, thyroid issues, mood changes <---this is true “starvation mode”.

Why People Think Their Metabolism is Slowing Down

People with more fat available to oxidize…can oxidize more body fat per minute. The less body fat you have, the less you can oxidize per minute. So as you get closer to your lower limits of body fat, the slower you will burn what body fat you have. This is why those last 4-5 pounds come off slowly, NOT because you are wrecking your metabolism with an aggressive diet.

Most People Never Need to Worry About Starvation Mode

Most likely, starvation mode isn’t happening to anybody reading this. The average person thinks starvation mode happens between meals. It isn’t about not having enough calories. It isn’t about not having enough protein. It only effects people at their critical low body fat mass. You have to be in a massive deficit and already at your critical low body fat level. You are “6 pack ripped” before ever getting to starvation mode.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    I read this. It says that there was a study done that shows that starvation mode doesn't kick in until you have 6% of body fat or below. I've included the text of the actual study and the link below

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Starvation Mode – Why You Probably Never Need to Worry About It

SEPTEMBER 9, 2011
    Starvation mode is a term that gets thrown around loosely. Many people believe that too little protein or too few of calories in a day will cause loss of muscle mass. What if I told you that it is extremely difficult to go into starvation mode until you get down to 5% body fat(10% for women)? Brad Pilon and John Barban have given me permission to give you access to the first 15 minutes of one of their paid recordings: “Starvation Mode”. Brad and John discuss surprising findings of a military study, where they purposely tried to get the soldiers to lose muscle and get into starvation mode. They found it took extreme conditions to reach this point.

Brad and John Show You How to Get Into Starvation Mode?

These guys take an interesting approach. They show you exactly what it takes to reach starvation mode. By showing how difficult it is to reach starvation mode, they destroy a lot of muscle loss myths. Once you listen to this, you can relax and not stress out about losing muscle when you are dieting and exercising to lose body fat. As you will see, you don’t even need to begin to worry about this until your reach crazy low body fat levels. Here’s that recording:

My Notes From the Starvation Mode Recording

All of this is covered in the recording, but I wanted to put some of this in text as well. You can also right click and save this recording and listen on your computer or iPod. I’ll post my notes below like I typically format my blog posts.

Why Are Brad and John Examining a Military Study?

Brad and John mainly look at a military experiment done by Karl Friedl. They point out that the military has less restrictions and can push people much harder than they can in a typical university study. There is no way this stuff would get approved by a university, but no problem for the military. In their words…To find limits to what the body is capable of, you need to dip into military research.

Step 1 to Get Into Starvation Mode—> Start Out Lean

Karl Friedl used fit and athletic soldiers with an average body fat of 14%. This is what John Barban calls “4 pack lean”. There were guys as low as 6% body fat and as high as 18% body fat. Think along the lines of a fit and muscular soldier to get an idea of the participants of this study.

Karl Pretty Much Tortured These Guys for 8+ Weeks!

Karl had these guys eat between 1,000-1,200 calories…but burn upwards of 6,000 calories per day with crazy activity levels and sleep deprivation. So deficits in the 3,000-4,000 range on some days. Average deficit was 1,200 calories per day. They trained like mad and also went through extreme sleep deprivation.

Here’s what happened during the 8 weeks (avg height 5’9″):

At Start… 167 lbs & Adonis Index of 1.4
    2 Weeks…156 lbs & Adonis Index of 1.44
    4 Weeks…152 lbs & Adonis Index of 1.45
    6 Weeks…146 lbs & Adonis Index of 1.50
    8 Weeks…140 lbs & Adonis Index of 1.52
    Note: Adonis Index refers to the shoulder circumference divided by the waist circumference. As an example, my shoulder measurement is 50 inches and my waist is 33 inches. If I divide my shoulder by my waist I get 1.51. The ideal Adonis Index is 1.61. The video below explains why a 1.61 ratio is pleasing to the eye in not just body proportions…but in art, architecture, etc.

In This Experiment, They Were NOT Trying to Preserve Muscle

The important thing to remember in this study was that they were trying their best to beat these guys down. They weren’t doing things that normal people would do while dieting, like proper resistance training. Here are some of the tactics they used to try to get into starvation mode.

Severe Caloric Restriction
    Severe Amount of Exercise
    Severe Amount of Mental Stress
    Extreme Sleep Deprivation
    Began to Lose Lean Body Mass Between Weeks 6 and 8

At around the 8 week mark a lot of guys who were in the 5%-6% range could not drop any more body fat. This is when they began to lose lean muscle. The guys who started out the leanest, reached their limits at week 6. These were the guys who lost the most amount of lean body mass.

They Didn’t Lose Muscle Just Because They Were at 5%-6%

They lost muscle because they were still having days where they were running at a 3,000 calorie deficit. Once someone reaches their lower limits of body fat percentage it makes sense to eat close to maintenance levels. This strong calorie deficit at this low body fat level also caused extreme hormone disruptions: Testosterone dropped, thyroid issues, mood changes <---this is true “starvation mode”.

Why People Think Their Metabolism is Slowing Down

People with more fat available to oxidize…can oxidize more body fat per minute. The less body fat you have, the less you can oxidize per minute. So as you get closer to your lower limits of body fat, the slower you will burn what body fat you have. This is why those last 4-5 pounds come off slowly, NOT because you are wrecking your metabolism with an aggressive diet.

Most People Never Need to Worry About Starvation Mode

Most likely, starvation mode isn’t happening to anybody reading this. The average person thinks starvation mode happens between meals. It isn’t about not having enough calories. It isn’t about not having enough protein. It only effects people at their critical low body fat mass. You have to be in a massive deficit and already at your critical low body fat level. You are “6 pack ripped” before ever getting to starvation mode.

That is starvation, not the starvation mode everyone is trying to differentiate here. While dieting, you will lose muscle tissue and fat stores if you do nothing to prevent muscle loss. Your body doesn't just use fat for energy.
  • aelunyu
    Was agreeing til you said bikini at sub 10%. As a coach, I can assure you a bikini competitor will be late teens, early 20s. My fiancee who does Body Fitness and much leaner, maxed out at around 13-14%.

I'll concede to the fact that bikini competitors can allow for much more variance 12-18? But almost ALL figure shoot for 10. That's their holy grail. A lot of them fall into the trap of the competition rumor mill that someone is coming in at 7% and they all scurry to get sub 10. In 2008, the standard in some NPC shows (I was working in California at the time) was people were winning on the merits of sub 10%. Then later on they wanted a "softer" look and the judging reflected that. Therefore, maybe now, the more acceptable standard is 10-12. 15% is way way way too high for a figure competitor. I'm not sure what Body Fitness is, but the categories im familiar with that would apply here are figure/fitness or bikini...we won't get into bodybuilding for women. That's a whole different can of worms. The general consensus is much like male bodybuilding. Whatever % you come in with the best packages takes the cake. Some guys that hold water probably try to thin out a big more, other guys can waltz in at 7% and look shredded. Natural vs assisted is also something to consider...more worms.

Your summation that overweight people that eat good diets have a hard time losing weight is just as anecdotal as my summation that lean people eating catered diets have hard times losing weight. As to the logic of these arguments weighed on a scale, I'd believe my anecdotal logic would be more sound (the leaner you are..the less likely you'll become leaner)...I don't think we need science to establish the folly of saying the fatter you are the harder it is to get leaner...though truth be told, I havent seen a grossly overweight individual with 85%-90% diet and exercise compliance have a very hard time losing weight...at all. That's not to say it doesn't happen. Some shmuck (shmuckette?) with awful awful genetics might fall prey to it. But the likelihood of that scenario playing out is probably far less than the likelihood of a figure competitor in her 6th season. Like I said, and you're right, it's my guess. The science on this is slim to none, or what exists of it is so contradictory or myopic in its focus that it rarely even applies... so it is up to us educated few to make educated guesses? I guess that was my point. When was the last time you ran across a study of figure competitors in their last 4 weeks vs overweight individuals in their first 4? The scope and scales (funding?) just don't exist nor do the general health public care (outside of us crazies).

Completely agree with your stance on too much cardio. I think it's the biggest reason this "syndrome" might occur...again just a trend I see that links excessive cardio with excessive deficit over extended time....nothing in science at all. But women seem to go crazy with that *kitten* , especially for figure/fitness. They even do their weight training at cardio cadence...tiny rest periods, huge volume.
  • aelunyu

agreed.. women do not go into single digits... I knew this even during my first month of lifting

yes they do. what else from your first month of lifting have you retained over the next few months you've been lifting? because it's not working.