MFP Runner's Club - June 30th

ali106
ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
Good Morning My Friends!!!

well its downpouring right now...hoping that by the time this coffee is finished it will stop or slow down a bit.....I want to run soooooooooooooo bad! lol

okay hugs and love and hope you get out there and do your thing today people.....walking, resting, running, whatever it may be!:drinker:
Ali :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ali106
    Good Morning My Friends!!!

well its downpouring right now...hoping that by the time this coffee is finished it will stop or slow down a bit.....I want to run soooooooooooooo bad! lol

okay hugs and love and hope you get out there and do your thing today people.....walking, resting, running, whatever it may be!:drinker:
    Ali :flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Good morning!

I ran 3.5 miles this morning. It was supposed to be my rest day after 9 miles yesterday. However, my running partner hadn't worked out since we ran last week. So she was needing a run bad. I was surprised that I was able to run with no problem this morning. My legs didn't feel tired at all. However, the humidity was 100%. OMG We melted!

Enjoy the day:flowerforyou:
    -Kechie.
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    Good morning everyone!

I am resting from running after my long run yesterday. I did yoga yesterday afternoon. It really helped loosen me up after my run. Has anyone else tried yoga?
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Good Morning Everyone!! So glad to see everyone up and moving this am (or at least thinking about it - Ali running in the rain is soooo much fun and cool!)

I am scheduled for 6 miles tonight but the are calling for bad storms so I might have to do it on the treadmill :grumble:

Kechie - humidity stinks!! and it is only June! :grumble:

JD - I love yoga, I just cannot fit it into my schedule right now. The yoga clases at my gym are at times that are not convenient with my work schedule. But my best friend just joined my gym this month and all she does is yoga so I am sure she will be pulling me in sooner than later!

Hope all have a great day today - I will check in later and see how the day is going!.
  • jdtrainer
    I've been meaning to tell you all about what happened to me on Saturday. I went to my wife's family reunion. There was a huge dessert table that I was doing my best to resist. I kept thinking that I wished I had brought my own food. I really wanted some fruit. I looked over at the dessert table and in the middle I spotted a basket with apples. I grabbed one, and one of my wife's cousins came running over to warn me that the apple might not be good. I was eating the center piece!! Luckily the apple was as good as it looked.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Good morning,

I'm officially on the JG training schedule (Tricia, thank you for introducing me to his books).
    I am using his 2hr45 training program because it is my first half marathon and my only goal is to cross the finishing line.

This weeks schedule is:

Sunday - 5 miles run - (yesterday)
    Monday - rest or cross training (xt)
    Tuesday - 23 minutes run
    Wednesday - rest or xt
    Thursday - 23 minutes run
    Friday - rest or xt
    Saturday - off
    Sun - 6 miles run

I am going to tweak my program as I go along and as I read through the book. As you can see the runs during the week aren't very long. This is where I think I might increase the minutes. I'm running on average 50-55 minutes 4 or 5 times a week now and I'm not sure if (mentally) I can reduce the time by that much. I will feel like I'm doing nothing. I guess this is where I would need some advice from people who have done a half marathon. Should I run more on run days if I'm able to?
    I also will need to include the walk as my runs get longer. I have issues with this type of training because I'll want to brag the first time that I run 10 miles. I don't want to say I ran/walk it.:grumble: I guess that's my competitive and ego side of me. lol I will work through it tho cuz I understand the benefits.

Today I did the elliptical for 55 minutes.

Jdtrainer, I want to include yoga or Pilate's on my xt days but I don't have access to a gym. Are you doing a DVD? Can anyone recommend a great DVD for beginners?

Have a great all and I would appreciate any feedback you may have on my training program.
  • jdtrainer
    Mireille, I am doing a yoga dvd that is part of the P90X program that I have been talking about.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Mireille, I am doing a yoga dvd that is part of the P90X program that I have been talking about.

Oh, I didn't realize there was a yoga dvd in there as well. That is really a complete program that touches all aspect of fitness. That's great!
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    I did 3.35 this morning on my treadmill. I'm still working on upping my miles as I had a stress fracture in January.
  • pmkelly409
    Good morning,

I'm officially on the JG training schedule (Tricia, thank you for introducing me to his books).
    I am using his 2hr45 training program because it is my first half marathon and my only goal is to cross the finishing line.

This weeks schedule is:

Sunday - 5 miles run - (yesterday)
    Monday - rest or cross training (xt)
    Tuesday - 23 minutes run
    Wednesday - rest or xt
    Thursday - 23 minutes run
    Friday - rest or xt
    Saturday - off
    Sun - 6 miles run

I am going to tweak my program as I go along and as I read through the book. As you can see the runs during the week aren't very long. This is where I think I might increase the minutes. I'm running on average 50-55 minutes 4 or 5 times a week now and I'm not sure if (mentally) I can reduce the time by that much. I will feel like I'm doing nothing. I guess this is where I would need some advice from people who have done a half marathon. Should I run more on run days if I'm able to?
    I also will need to include the walk as my runs get longer. I have issues with this type of training because I'll want to brag the first time that I run 10 miles. I don't want to say I ran/walk it.:grumble: I guess that's my competitive and ego side of me. lol I will work through it tho cuz I understand the benefits.

Today I did the elliptical for 55 minutes.

Jdtrainer, I want to include yoga or Pilate's on my xt days but I don't have access to a gym. Are you doing a DVD? Can anyone recommend a great DVD for beginners?

Have a great all and I would appreciate any feedback you may have on my training program.

YEA Mireille!! This is great stuff. I, too, had the same problem when I started this 10mile training (reducing miles that is) but I figured they are the experts and there was no sense in risking injury, so I am just following along and all is going well. I did read somewhere that the long run is the key to building up to whatever race you are training for....

oh, btw, with the run/walk thing - I actually don't walk - true confession time! I just slow down to a very slow jog - if I stopped and actually walked I am afraid I would not be able to start again! If this helps you mentally so that you don't have to say you walked - try it.
  • pmkelly409
    Just got an email from the coach and we are having a guest speaker tonight after our run - she is a nutritionist that specializes in distance running! I will be sure to take lots of notes and pass along all that I learn from her!! The email says she will discuss not only nutrition but proper hydration too!
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Hey everyone! I'm back from vacation. I didn't get to run as much as I should have. I came down with a sinus infection (yes, on vacation) that has gotten out of control. Now that I'm home, I'm hoping my doc can get me on the road to recovery. I can't even climb stairs without wheezing and feeling like I can't breathe (my sinus infections drain and make me cough, and cough, and cough!). So, hopefully in a few days, I will be back at it. I didn't gain any weight on vacation! In fact, my scale said down 2 pounds since I left. I hadn't been able to weigh the entire time I was gone, so I wasn't sure what to expect this morning. Surprise! :happy:
  • Slender1
    Slender1 Posts: 185
    Good morning all!

Tonight I have BOOT CAMP class at my gym. It's different every time, but it usually involves a mixture of sprints, lunges, squats, abs, etc. I'll let y'all know later tonight how sore I am. :) haha
  • pmkelly409
    Good morning all!

Tonight I have BOOT CAMP class at my gym. It's different every time, but it usually involves a mixture of sprints, lunges, squats, abs, etc. I'll let y'all know later tonight how sore I am. :) haha

OH! LOVE the boot camp classes!! Enjoy!! and take two advil when you get home! :laugh:
  • pmkelly409
    Hey everyone! I'm back from vacation. I didn't get to run as much as I should have. I came down with a sinus infection (yes, on vacation) that has gotten out of control. Now that I'm home, I'm hoping my doc can get me on the road to recovery. I can't even climb stairs without wheezing and feeling like I can't breathe (my sinus infections drain and make me cough, and cough, and cough!). So, hopefully in a few days, I will be back at it. I didn't gain any weight on vacation! In fact, my scale said down 2 pounds since I left. I hadn't been able to weigh the entire time I was gone, so I wasn't sure what to expect this morning. Surprise! :happy:

Hey welcome back!!! Sorry you came home feeling bad! Sinus inx are yucky!! go get your meds asap!!! We need to get you healthy and hitting the pavement!!! :drinker:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    I've been meaning to tell you all about what happened to me on Saturday. I went to my wife's family reunion. There was a huge dessert table that I was doing my best to resist. I kept thinking that I wished I had brought my own food. I really wanted some fruit. I looked over at the dessert table and in the middle I spotted a basket with apples. I grabbed one, and one of my wife's cousins came running over to warn me that the apple might not be good. I was eating the center piece!! Luckily the apple was as good as it looked.

It has to make you giggle a bit when you realize that the best food on the table was only for looks! Good for you for eating the "center piece"!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    3 miles for me today. I just bought the July issue of Runner's World and I have decided to follow their "A Fast 5K" program. It has two programs, one for people like me that run about 3 miles on a regular basis and one for people who have been running 5 or 10K's for awhile to increase their speed. There is also one for beginners but you have to go to the website for that one.

I have really fallen in love, so to speak, with running and I am determined to run a 5k by the fall. Thanks to all of you for inspiring me to keep going each day....Thanks! :love:
  • ali106
    wow from downpour to humidity from hell lol....I ended up doing 4.5 miles and thought I was going to croak!.....but now sitting here at my desk....feeling sore and great....thinking that was sooo worth it! lol

Running is such a love hate thing....and so addicting...and when I run, I fantasize about running longer, like I think about running races in the near future...a 10k soon, then 1/2 marathon...and then MAYBE a full marathon...omg that would be the bomb!...is that weird LOL....:ohwell:

I'll be back to comment more...I gotta "run" to get lunch now....:flowerforyou:

hugs!
    ali
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Hi All!

I'm back from my family reunion and managed to get in a couple of good runs. It was a beautiful location at a lake, and it's always fun to run somewhere new. I even got to run with my crazy marathon-running SIL (she's the one who sweet-talked me into running mine) and managed to keep up with her somewhat. I'm sure she could have gone much faster, though...

I did miss 4 days of running and I could feel it today! Does this happen to anybody else? I felt like I was sucking air after just a few miles--but I can't wait to get back to my regular routine.

See ya out there!

Julie
  • pmkelly409
    wow from downpour to humidity from hell lol....I ended up doing 4.5 miles and thought I was going to croak!.....but now sitting here at my desk....feeling sore and great....thinking that was sooo worth it! lol

Running is such a love hate thing....and so addicting...and when I run, I fantasize about running longer, like I think about running races in the near future...a 10k soon, then 1/2 marathon...and then MAYBE a full marathon...omg that would be the bomb!...is that weird LOL....:ohwell:

I'll be back to comment more...I gotta "run" to get lunch now....:flowerforyou:

hugs!
    ali

YEA! You did it!!! 4.5! that is fantastic girl!!! I have fantasies about us all meeting together one day to run a race together!!! JD's butt is going to be looking so good soon - that will be our inspiration!:wink: