critically accalimed moveis u thought were really bad?

motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
I just saw these two two movies within the last month, and thought they were just terrible....

Gangs of New York

Silver Linings Playbook

I really wanted to like SLP.... I am from the Philly area, love the Eagles, and the premise of the movie sounded good to me. Gangs of New York just happened to be starting when I was flipping channels..... I couldn't watch after about 20 minutes. I think if I had continued to watch I might have called it the worst critically acclaimed movie ever.

Replies

• karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    A Thin Red Line was the most boring movie I've ever seen!
  • motown13
    A Thin Red Line was the most boring movie I've ever seen!

Dang, yeah, I forgot that one....
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    I just saw these two two movies within the last month, and thought they were just terrible....

Gangs of New York

Silver Linings Playbook

I really wanted to like SLP.... I am from the Philly area, love the Eagles, and the premise of the movie sounded good to me. Gangs of New York just happened to be starting when I was flipping channels..... I couldn't watch after about 20 minutes. I think if I had continued to watch I might have called it the worst critically acclaimed movie ever.

2 of the best movies I've ever seen actually...
  • motown13

Gangs of New York

Silver Linings Playbook

2 of the best movies I've ever seen actually...

I guess we will never go to the movies together.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    I dunno about critically acclaimed, but I can't stand that Notebook movie. It's annoying. Ted wasn't all that great either for all the hype it got.
  • carolmcgov
    carolmcgov Posts: 175 Member
    No country for old men.

Watched it twice thinking I missed something the first time. nope. . Its just rubbish!
  • KukuDan
    KukuDan Posts: 76 Member
    No country for old men.

Watched it twice thinking I missed something the first time. nope. . Its just rubbish!

I agree, I just dont get what all the hype was about
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    No country for old men.

I agree, I just dont get what all the hype was about

Love that movie! The Coen Brothers are kind of...odd. I guess that's just one of the many directing styles I like. The only movie of theirs I truly disliked was Burn After Reading. It recieved so much praise and it was just...bad.

I liked Gangs of New York, too. Haven't seen Silver Linings Playbook yet.

I wasn't a *huge* fan of Man With the Iron Fists. It wasn't very well written...admittedly looked badass though.

I hate most Will Ferrel movies. Anchorman sucked. Elf sucked. Blades of Glory sucked. He's not funny AT ALL.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Hugo. Yawwwwn.

Hurt Locker. Double yawwwwn.

So many more.

Now, movies that I thought were good that the critics hated...lots of those too. lol
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Saving Private Ryan

The Black Swan
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Could not finish watching "Man with the iron fists."

Everything with Will Farrel in it.

I would say everything with Nicolas Cage in it but I'm pretty sure the critics hate him too and I did enjoy "Kick *kitten*" in spite of him.
  • PepperWorm
    Saving Private Ryan

The Black Swan

Seriously???

Who could hate Aronofsky? :cry:

This thread makes me sad. In all seriousness though, I get it. We all like what we like. :flowerforyou:
  • PepperWorm
    Could not finish watching "Man with the iron fists."

Everything with Will Farrel in it.

I would say everything with Nicolas Cage in it but I'm pretty sure the critics hate him too and I did enjoy "Kick *kitten*" in spite of him.

I like you.

Nicholas Cage in Con Air wasn't so bad either...though the story itself/Malkovich was his saving grace.

:laugh: I'm hijacking this thread. Sorry. Carry on.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Gangs of New York.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Crash and Braveheart. Not recent, but egregious because they both won best picture oscars.
  • mshopey
    mshopey Posts: 125 Member
    I HATE Napoleon Dynamite.
    WHY and HOW can people find it funny or entertaining?
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    'Pulp Fiction': saw it and couldn't figure out why so many people raved about it so I went to see it AGAIN (I do try to be open-minded) and still came to the same conclusion. Lame. Have seen several Tarantino flicks and feel that each one is worse than the last. The only one I liked was 'Natural Born Killers' and I think that was written by Tarantino but directed by Oliver Stone.

IMHO...Tarantino is overrated and uses gratuitous violence for shock value just to get people talking to drum up publicity. Ho hum, how dull. As a viewer, I don't care to be played like that. :yawn:
  • PepperWorm
    I HATE Napoleon Dynamite.
    WHY and HOW can people find it funny or entertaining?

You're just jealous because I've been chatting online with hot babes all day long.

:D
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Oh...and 'Bridesmaids'....I had a bee in my bonnet over that for at least 3 days. I so wanted to bust Kristen Wiig's character Annie in the face with a chair. Repugnantly weak, shallow, whiny, manipulative, wretched POS female character. If I were her, I would be ashamed for ever playing a role like that. Don't people have any integrity?

Everybody seemed to love this movie: it just made me angry that there are stupid girls out there like her who drive and vote.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Most recently Silver Linings playbook...I only made it about halfway through the movie. I was bored to tears...not even the wine helped.