Couch to 5 K

kirdyq
kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
I haven't exercised in an eternity. We have a 5K at my work in Sept/Oct each year. I am thinking of doing a c25k program as a way to begin exercising again, with the goal of running in the 5k.

How many of you out there have done this and could give me suggestions? I really need to tone up my butt and legs and was hoping this would help.

Also, I am thinking that I'd like to download an app to help me time this on my droid. Any suggestions?

Replies

• anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    I was a runner in high school...and decided to start again last fall...and I started with the C25K program. It's really great when you're trying to ease your way into running. I highly recommend it. Also, I use Endomondo on my Android to track and time my runs (bike and strength train as well).
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    I liked Run Keeper and also Run Double.

Good luck and don't be scared to repeat a day or week here and there if you feel like you need it
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    I started the app in March. It's a great program but I did find a flaw in it. New runners should not increase running time or distance more the 10% per week. At about week 4 or 5 it steps from a total 8 mins or running to 15 minutes of running which is obviously close to a 50% increase. I struggled there. It's June and I'm still not funning a full 5k, but it takes time. As long as I'm seeing improvment every time I run I'm happy. I've had to repeat days and weeks because I was unable to finish the run but that's OK too.

I do feel like the app is super helpful for new runner. I have since stopped using the app and I'm up to about 1.25-1.5 miles of constant running now. I typically take a little break after the first 1.25 and walk for .5 miles and then go back to running as much a I can so I am averaging about 2-3 miles now.

I say go for it! Every runner stated somewhere. DO IT! You won't every regret trying!
  • Amber0924
    Amber0924 Posts: 7
    I love it. I was never a runner and this app really really helps
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    I did C25k. I've always been pretty fit, but never a runner, and this winter I really let myself go (big time!!!).
    I started the program on April 17th, and I truly thought I was going to die running for just 1 minute (pathetic, I know). I did the program consistently, about every other day (never 2 days in a row). I started running outside about half way through the program (If I had to do it over, I would have started outside earlier). I ran my first 5k this past weekend and finished it in 29:30, but most importantly, I ran the entire distance (which is the longest I've ever run in my life!!). I think it's a great program. I would recommend getting professionally fitted for running shoes, that made a huge difference for me.
  • lgriffithschall
    lgriffithschall Posts: 28 Member
    I highly recommend C25K! I'm currently on week 7, but I just ran my first 5k this weekend in 37 minutes using the interval method (run 5 minutes, walk one minute). It's certainly not easy if you're an overweight (40-50 pounds) non-runner like me, but it's rewarding and it will really help with weight loss! My best advice is to be patient with yourself...I know when I get to a full 30 minutes of running I will not be covering the full 3.1 mile distance as suggested by the app, but everyone else has told me that will come with time.
  • hegster23
    hegster23 Posts: 36 Member
    I also use this app. In the first week, I thought I was going to keel over....I'm at the end of week 6 (but I should have re-tried week 5, day 3...)
    It surely helps, but in the last few weeks where it jumps up to 20-22 mins of running...eek (for me).
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    I am on W5D2. It's a great program for me! I have been really amazed at how quickly I have adapted to the longer runs and how quickly I'm building up endurance. I would recommend it for any beginner!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    C25K is a very good program. I'm not a runner, have tried in the past & always failed. But I did it through C25K.

My best advice would be to jog slow. If you feel you're too slow, go even slower. Concentrate on making it through the run times, not your distance. You'll build up distance as you build up endurance.

Join the C25K group here on MFP. There's lots of encouragement and advice there.
  • Trixxie90
    Trixxie90 Posts: 32 Member
    I just started the c25k 2weeks ago and I like it. I'm not a runner but it's getting me there. I downloaded the app for my phone and I love that it que's me when to walk and when to run. I'm repeating week 1 because I didn't feel strong enough to move on to week 2 but that's a great option, you can adjust where you are if you feel like you need to repeat.
  • What is the best C25K for Andriod to download?
  • kmrichardson1
    kmrichardson1 Posts: 41 Member
    I like the run double app. I run it with map my run at the same time.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    C25K is a very good program. I'm not a runner, have tried in the past & always failed. But I did it through C25K.

My best advice would be to jog slow. If you feel you're too slow, go even slower. Concentrate on making it through the run times, not your distance. You'll build up distance as you build up endurance.

Join the C25K group here on MFP. There's lots of encouragement and advice there.

Great advice. It's important to remember that you're not running, you're jogging, and before you can jog you have to shuffle. Make sure you go as slow as you possibly can and then slow down some more. I love c25k but I'm so glad I read advice to go slooooow before I started, it's been a breeze for me so far and I'm on week 4. I've NEVER been a runner and can't even believe I'm running for 5 minute stretches at a time. Also, make sure you get your breathing under control and try not to breathe in through your mouth (out is ok if you can do it - I'm not coordinated enough!). I breathe in and out through my nose for 8 counts. 1, 2, 3, 4 in, 5, 6, 7, 8 out. I'm signed up for my first 5k on November 2nd!

eta: Oh, and, I tried RunDouble but I didn't like it too much, it was kinda glitchy on my phone. I went ahead and paid the $1.99 for the actual c25k app by active.com and enjoy it much better. A lot of people really like the zombies running app too but I'll wait to try that until after I've completed the c25k program.