C25K app recommendations please

Geojerm
Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
I wanna do a C25K program... but I have no idea what one is good. I've read lots of success stories on here for C25K.

I want/need verbal instructions, plus I would like to listen to music (within the app preferably)

I have an iPod or an Android phone - I'm not very technical so would like a user friendly press & go program :D

Any suggestions?

Replies

• I put the c25kfree app on my iPhone, just finished Week 1 Day 1. I don't know about the music through the app part, thought about that as I started out this morning! Will be figuring that out. I know the app is available for most platforms.
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    I use C25K Free (by Zen Labs) from the Apple app store on my iPhone. It allows me to listen to my own music, it just "dings" and says "start running"/"start walking" at the appropriate intervals. It is so nice not to have to watch a clock!
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    I agree, C25K free version! Absolutely no issues with it, worked beautifully.
  • skuehn84
    skuehn84 Posts: 14 Member
    I also use C25K Free (by Zen Labs) on my iPod Touch. I really like the option to set either dings, or voice to tell me when to walk/run. And you can listen to your own music.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    i used the c25k app on my iphone when i started and loved it!
  • justaloozer
    justaloozer Posts: 122 Member
    I have an android and use the app RunDouble. I am able to listen to my music with the app running. It just stops my music to tell me when it's time to run/walk, then goes back to my music.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Running I have used both Run Keeper and Run Double and was happy with both. Tried Runtastic and the GPS was super off.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    I also use the C25K free by Zen Labs app.

I just downloaded it to my phone (android). The only verbal instructions it says is "Run" "Walk" or whatever.
    The colors on the screen change.

Orange for warmup
    Red for run
    Green for walk
    Blue for cooldown

There are 3 bubbles (that's how it appears with the app I have, anyways).
    The big bubble in the middle tells you how much time you have to run or walk (like a countdown)
    The small bubble on the left tells you how much time you have left, and the small bubble on the right tells you how much time you have used.

And then if you are running for 1 min, the middle bubble is just that 1 min. Once it gets to 0, it switches to the walking countdown.

So I usually run on the treadmill, set my phone up in front of me, and then plug in my earphones and jam to music. I just glance down to get an idea of the time, and then get ready to change my speed. I never actually hear it say anything, but I know other people at the gym do. hahaha
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    I'm using the run keeper app. I like it. :)
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    I use C25K Free (by Zen Labs) from the Apple app store on my iPhone. It allows me to listen to my own music, it just "dings" and says "start running"/"start walking" at the appropriate intervals. It is so nice not to have to watch a clock!

I am using that one too, and I really love it. It is great that I can listen to podcasts/music and still have the voice telling me to run/walk.
  • I've had some issues with C25K. Yes, I can listen to my own playlists, but I normally work out to Pandora. THAT's not the gripe, this is: I made a playlist specifically for running since I can't use Pandora, but the shuffle function does NOT work for me in C25K. It says it's on, but the same song plays over and over unless I hit the next arrow.

I'm thinking about just moving to Zombies, RUN!
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Thanks everyone. I don't actually have any music on my phone ( I know I can, I just never have)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Zombies! Run C25K is the best. but then again anything that gets you moving because zombies are chasing you is awsome.

its pricy as are the Zombies! Run seasons 1 and 2 but they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. helps keep my family motivated to go out for a walk/run because the story is so interesting.
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    I used 5K runner on the iphone. It was like 2.99.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Zombies! Run C25K is the best. but then again anything that gets you moving because zombies are chasing you is awsome.

its pricy as are the Zombies! Run seasons 1 and 2 but they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. helps keep my family motivated to go out for a walk/run because the story is so interesting.

^^I love that app!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Yep. I use the Zen labs app too, but I use the c210k one. The first 8 weeks are the exact same as the c25k app, but then it has weeks after that to work to a 10k. That's why I use that one. I don't want to have to switch when I get to the 5k point; I'd like to just keep going on one app.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    I use the C25K by Zen labs free version on my iPhone. I listen to my workout playlist through it as well, no problem. The voice pipes up when it's time to walk or run & the music plays right back up again. It's very user friendly.
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    I used the free NHS podcasts. Althrough from the UK they are available to download from anywhere in the world. I loved the coaching and the advice on foot placement and breathing. The encouragement seem to be at the exact time I needed it. The music is quite cheesy but I liked it by the end as it was familiar. I started using MapMyWalk part way through to keep track of my distances whilst the podcast was playing but switched to Runkeeper about two weeks before the end. I've stuck with Runkeeper and now listen to my own music on a playlist. I'm still running and regularly getting PBs. I try to run 5K three times a week.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    I used active.com C25k. When I finished I moved right on to their 5k to 10k. I believe they also have a 10k to half marathon when I finish the one I am on. I love it. I use the cheerleader-esque coach. She gives encouragement periodically thoughout the walk/jog/run. I can run my music app and she will voice over when it is time for a queue. It was pretty cheap. Maybe $1.99 in the anndroid store.
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    I use Run Double, and so far I really like it. I can listen to Pandora (I have never gotten around to putting my own music on my phone) while i run and the voice just tells me when to run/walk. I also like that it reads my stats to me so I can see my progress from week to week and day to day. That really helps keep me pushing myself to do better.